Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ThunderCats (2011)

Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
When that show aired, I watched it but missed half the other episodes and did not get an opportunity to watch the whole season until now. So I'm on this site: http://watchdubbed.net/anime-list and watched the whole season which was pretty good. Now the original ThunderCats I have not seen but want to because I'm curious to see the differences, if any, in story and character relationships. (Just watched the first episode on Youtube...uh, Snarf can talk!?)

I'm really disappointed there will be no season 2. I really wanted to see the end result of it all.

Just found out the complete season of TC 2011 is coming out on blu-ray soon. I'll add that to my wishlist.

rkbvgp.jpg
“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter”

Comments

• Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I never watched the remake but I grew up watching the ones from the 80's. Have you seen those and if you have, how do they compare?
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Since I started with the remake and have not watched the original except the first episode today, to compare based on that so far, both tones are different. The 80's is more child friendly and Snarf seems to act like a comedic relief even though so far everything seems light-hearted for a kids show despite the story. The remake is more mature, darker and more serious although again there is Snarf/Kit/Kat as comic relief. But in the remake Snarf doesn't talk and acts like a companion/pet but does understand everyone around him.

I notice the starting points in both versions are different. The remake begins with the King, Lion-O, etc already on third earth and civilization for generations were established quite awhile ago. Also Kit and Kat don't come into the picture until a bit later when they run into Lion-O, Cheetara and Tygra traveling together. The original starts off all the characters in a spaceship watching Thundera get annihilated and Jaga then sending them except himself to third earth using sleep capsules. Since something about aging, he couldn't go cause he would die before reaching third earth which he died anyway from old age o.0

In the remake Jaga sacrifices himself to buy Lion-O and the others some time to escape from Mumm-Ra and army to search for the book of omens.

Also I read that the original doesn't really go too deep into characterization/relationships but I've only watched episode 1. I do know in the remake the relationships between the characters and characterizations are explored. I love how the show explores the feelings of Tygra growing up in Lion-O's shadow yet Lion-O being second best to everything Tygra does.

jrxizk.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”