Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

READ THIS - Fix for Custom Music within The Sims 3

trilljestertrilljester Posts: 1 New Member
Hi all,

I have found a solution for all of your custom music woes within The Sims 3. The key to making all of your custom music work comes down to your ID3 tags within your MP3 files. What are these tags? Well, they identify the song to music players. Unfortuntely, The Sims 3 -ONLY- reads ID3v1 tags. Anything newer, i.e. 2.3 or 2.4 or APE are not supported. If you want your music to be played, you need to clear the ID3 tag from your song, then re-add the tag with a ID3v1 tag.

How do I do this? The best program to modify your ID3 tags is MP3Tag. Google for it.

Mac users: Download ID3 Editor. It works well.

Once you have these programs installed, copy your music to the Custom Music folder. Then load each song into the Tag editor, remove any existing tags and then add new tags with ID3v1 format, and save,

Other requirements for your music to play within the game:

- File must be in MP3 format. No other format is supported.
- MP3 cannot be above 320kbps bitrate, Varible Bit Rate encoded MP3 files do work as long as they are not above 320. For simplicity sakes, I converted all of my custom music to 128 CBR.
- You can use a tool like MP3Gain to apply a "boost" in volume for your custom music. It helps hear songs a tad better in-game. I found that if I set my target volume at around 96.5, I get good sounding music.

VERY IMPORTANT! Wall Speakers in a lot (home or community) will break Custom Music and you will hear nothing. Do not use wall speakers. Have your sim upgrade your stero to wire the whole house. That's the best solution. :smile:

That should get you up and going. If you have any questions, hit me up on Twitter. My account is @trilljester, follow me and I'll help.
Post edited by trilljester on