Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Difficulties with edge scrolling

Hi there :)

I bought the sims 4 today and am largely very happy with it! One annoyance for me though is that I find edge scrolling doesn't work at the bottom of the screen!

So I can scroll left, right and up but not down! And sometimes it won't let me scroll in the top-right corner either :(

Is there a fix, or is it something I'll have to wait for in an expansion/patch or maybe never recieve?

Thankyou for your time :)

Comments

• Options
    Selena_SouleSelena_Soule Posts: 438 Member
    edited September 2014
    hold right mouse button while scrolling and it will work and even better too

its set up that way so you dont scroll by accident when going thru menus.. holding right click ignores that though.
  • Options
    Flog60Flog60 Posts: 25 Member
    > @Selena_Soule said:
    > hold right mouse button while scrolling and it will work and even better too

Yes but that isn't edge scrolling :(

I like moving my mouse to the side of the screen to move it, and the feature is in the game it just doesn't work properly so was hoping for fix :/
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think it does work properly..its not intended to scroll on the bottom of the screen.. to prevent the screen moving when your looking thru menus.. whats so hard about holding right click?

I actually wish i could turn the edge scrolling off... i use right click to move the screen and edge scrolling gets annoying when im using menus and then the screen moves just a tiny bit and my camera follow disables on my sim.
  • Options
    justletmedownldjustletmedownld Posts: 63 Member
    > @Flog60 said:
    >
    totally agree. I have quit playing this game because I find the scrolling soo annoying I can't stop regretting my purchase.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    > @Flog60 said:<br />
    > <br />
    totally agree. I have quit playing this game because I find the scrolling soo annoying I can't stop regretting my purchase.

seriously? edge scrolling sucks anyways its garbage.. just hold right click for faster smoother scrolling.. MUCH better.

also why does this chat filter filter out s(_)cks for? it makes no sense
  • Options
    > @Selena_Soule said:
    > I think it does work properly..its not intended to scroll on the bottom of the screen.. to prevent the screen moving when your looking thru menus.. whats so hard about holding right click?
    >
    > I actually wish i could turn the edge scrolling off... i use right click to move the screen and edge scrolling gets annoying when im using menus and then the screen moves just a tiny bit and my camera follow disables on my sim.

You can turn edge scrolling off! In the camera menu in game options

And I know it goes over menus but you can make it so it scrolls down with mouse at very bottom :( they managed in sims 3
  • Options
    SimBunnySimBunny Posts: 58 Member
    I really wish the camera was like the Sims 2 camera. I need to tilt up and down as well. I hope there's a camera mod that can help with these camera issues.
  • Options
    they really need to put this in the tutorial.. but you CAN tilt up/down.. but you have to switch to sims 3 style camera..
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Scroll down works. Just don't go in to the UI. Scroll down is just above it.
  • Options
    > @SimBunny said:
    > I really wish the camera was like the Sims 2 camera. I need to tilt up and down as well. I hope there's a camera mod that can help with these camera issues.

You can tilt up and down if you go to game options and set camera to be like sims 3 :)
  • Options
    CrowRidgeStudioCrowRidgeStudio Posts: 233 Member
    I've heard some people say if you take it out of windowed mode, edge scrolling works. Not sure if you have it in windowed, but if you do, might be worth a try. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I've heard some people say if you take it out of windowed mode, edge scrolling works. Not sure if you have it in windowed, but if you do, might be worth a try. Hope that helps.

Yes. It doesn't work in any other mode aside from full screen mode.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I've found that the bottom edge scroll doesn't work if you put your cursor all the way to the edge, but if you leave about a 1/4 inch gap, it will scroll.
  • Options
    ScarletQueenKatScarletQueenKat Posts: 792 Member
    It works, you just need to do it right. It's a little different than before:

http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/edge-scrolling-isnt-working/
    🌹 Scarlet's Mod List - Includes ALL mods, links to their latest versions, last updated dates, sorting options, and more!
  • Options
    > @fullspiral said:
    > Scroll down works. Just don't go in to the UI. Scroll down is just above it.

> @greenXen said:
    > I've found that the bottom edge scroll doesn't work if you put your cursor all the way to the edge, but if you leave about a 1/4 inch gap, it will scroll.

Thank you so much!! :D Will try this tomorrow :3
  • Options
    justletmedownldjustletmedownld Posts: 63 Member
    > @Selena_Soule said:
    > justletmedownld wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > seriously? edge scrolling sucks anyways its garbage.. just hold right click for faster smoother scrolling.. MUCH better.
    >
    > also why does this chat filter filter out s(_)cks for? it makes no sense

ok, so am I missing something here? I have the sims3 control options enabled. When I'm in build/buy and need to scroll down as I am decorating or whatever I cannot. If I want to go up, I have to stop and look for the little magnifying symbol to show up at the correct position at the top of the screen in order to scroll up. I'm telling you it is very frustrating. I hate it. I am an avid fan of the sims series, I have 1 through 3 , and now the base of 4. Despite the differences in how the game was controlled in each, I never had a problem navigating the screen,. Now I do however.
    For clarity, I'm not gripping about "oh, I had to look at the top of the screen", what I mean is when I do often times the center of perspective is lost, in order to go up or down I've ended up on the other side of the little community area or whatever it's called the house is in, and to get back it is a game of zoom in zoom out ad nauseam to get back to the angle I wanted.
    I've never encountered this difficulty before in a Sims game.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Flog60 wrote: »
    Hi there :)<br />
    <br />
    I bought the sims 4 today and am largely very happy with it! One annoyance for me though is that I find edge scrolling doesn't work at the bottom of the screen!<br />
    <br />
    So I can scroll left, right and up but not down! And sometimes it won't let me scroll in the top-right corner either :(<br />
    <br />
    Is there a fix, or is it something I'll have to wait for in an expansion/patch or maybe never recieve?<br />
    <br />
    Thankyou for your time :)

If you put your cursor right above the UI at the center bottom of the screen, it will work. But of course, that is kinda tedious.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    CitrusmoonCitrusmoon Posts: 1,770 Member
    I also applied, and still have the option enabled, for Sims 3 control too. Yet it's not working.
    I've now got myself used to using AWSD key since it's troublesome to move around the screen with so called edge scrolling in this game =/
    自分のアバター作ってみたにょ。難しいにょ!シムズ楽しすぎにょ!
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit / ASUS Maximus VII / Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4 GHz / Cosair Vengeance 16GB RAM / NVidia GeForce GTX 980 SLi / Samsung SSD 840 PRO HDD
  • Options
    ashleyl2203ashleyl2203 Posts: 322 Member
    Oh I hate this! Esp when you have an object in your hand and need to move down a little bit to place it! Hiw do I get to the sims 3 camera angles?!?
  • Options
    Vicks06Vicks06 Posts: 728 Member
    hold right mouse button while scrolling and it will work and even better too

its set up that way so you dont scroll by accident when going thru menus.. holding right click ignores that though.

Thank you for this will give it a go today
    ||Origin Name: VicksLouise||UK Simmer||Simmer since 2000||My Fanart||My Gallery||
  • Options
    simmey1simmey1 Posts: 580 Member
    i have mine set to sims 3 style. To change the angle i hold the center mouse button down while moving the mouse.
  • Options
    Green_Girly100Green_Girly100 Posts: 296 Member
    I'm slowly getting the hang of the new controls. I agree though, the edge scrolling is not fluid and is quite tedious. It should be a simple matter of having your cursor on the edge, not a quarter inch in, or in just the right spot :/