Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Splitting households?

How do I split up a household? I just realized the sim I am playing's girlfriend is almost and elder so I made him break up with her but now I cannot figure out how to have her move out. Sorry if this has been posted but I couldn't find anything.

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Go into the options menu and go to manage something. Now I'm still confused because I tried to split a sim from the household and it doesn't give me an option to move them into an empty house.
  • Options
    Nintendo277Nintendo277 Posts: 304 Member
    It must be done from the world view. Click on the house then options and i think it's called "manage household" or "evict Sim to new home". You'll be able to select who goes and whether they merge work am existing family or start a new family.

Sorry I'm not more exact, i can't remember it exactly, but i did use the option today.
    Origin ID: Ogregames64
  • Options
    Ozzie1985Ozzie1985 Posts: 418 Member
    edited September 2014
    Hmm..I already killed off the ex-gf because I tried what you mentioned and it only let me move them as a whole. But maybe I did not do it right.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Hopefully I'll find out more about it once I get my prima guide.
  • Options
    I think I will also buy the prima guide tomorrow
  • Options
    LadyTamLadyTam Posts: 4 New Member
    Figured it out by a combination of this forum and playing around. Go up to the "Household Management" bubble at the top of the world menu. Click it. Go to the household you want to split up. From there, there will be several buttons on the lower right-hand corner of the pop-up menu. It gives you several options to split up the household, including plain evicting, deleting, or switching Sims to different households.

I chose to switch mine, since I don't really want to get rid of anyone I created. From THAT menu, the "switch households" menu, you can giv your sims to someone else, or you can simply make a new household with just the sims you want to keep. This way, you don't have to play those Sims now, but you can still place them and keep them around for later! :D

Hope this helps! (It was confusing and making me crazy too. Also, effin' HATE tooltip pop-ups. That's NEXT on my list.)
  • Options
    DrGorillaDrGorilla Posts: 253 Member
    LadyTam wrote: »
    Figured it out by a combination of this forum and playing around. Go up to the "Household Management" bubble at the top of the world menu. Click it. Go to the household you want to split up. From there, there will be several buttons on the lower right-hand corner of the pop-up menu. It gives you several options to split up the household, including plain evicting, deleting, or switching Sims to different households. <br />
    <br />
    I chose to switch mine, since I don't really want to get rid of anyone I created. From THAT menu, the "switch households" menu, you can giv your sims to someone else, or you can simply make a new household with just the sims you want to keep. This way, you don't have to play those Sims now, but you can still place them and keep them around for later! :D <br />
    <br />
    Hope this helps! (It was confusing and making me crazy too. Also, effin' HATE tooltip pop-ups. That's NEXT on my list.)

Beat me to it!
  • Options
    LadyTamLadyTam Posts: 4 New Member
    > @DrGorilla said:
    Beat me to it!<

Lol!! XD Great minds think alike!
  • Options
    VivaLaWhatsernameVivaLaWhatsername Posts: 75 New Member
    Anyone else think that's a rather complicated way to just move some people out? lol

But thank you Lady Tam!

psst if you haven't figured out the tutorial tips yet, you go into origin, right click The Sims 4, click game properties and type in --no_tutorial
  • Options
    Yes I agree. I miss the good ol days when you get kick them out or if you break up with them, they move out automatically.
  • Options
    moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    Well, way to condemn our "spares" to starter hell :\ I always keep siblings till they're married and have started a family, then they can get a nice house with the combined family funds to which they've been contributing. Now, when you move out the "spare" family this way, they only have starter funds. Bleh. Will have to keep an eye on their funds and improve their house as they go.
  • Options
    crozer29crozer29 Posts: 9 New Member
    > @moongodess said:
    > Well, way to condemn our "spares" to starter hell I always keep siblings till they're married and have started a family, then they can get a nice house with the combined family funds to which they've been contributing. Now, when you move out the "spare" family this way, they only have starter funds. Bleh. Will have to keep an eye on their funds and improve their house as they go.

I have the exact same problem now, it's kinda silly that when you split households, you can not actually split the funds (at least make it available from the played household). Luckily I only moved out the eldest sibling with her boyfriend and she has a rank 10 career accompanied by a bunch of other revenues, so it wouldn't be a problem to pile up the money soon, but neglecting comfort and décor because we're missing such an obvious feature is just disappointing.
  • Options
    ts3semlts3seml Posts: 440 Member
    I wish you could move someone out like we could before. It feels odd to have to do it from the manage world screen.
  • Options
    > @moongodess said:
    > Well, way to condemn our "spares" to starter hell I always keep siblings till they're married and have started a family, then they can get a nice house with the combined family funds to which they've been contributing. Now, when you move out the "spare" family this way, they only have starter funds. Bleh. Will have to keep an eye on their funds and improve their house as they go.

I know right? when I moved out my starter sims eldest daughter (whom I decided to control from now on) she had starter funds even though she was piling money into the house by painting...so as much as I didn't want to I just used a money cheat to give her a wee bit more money so I could move her into a decent house. I definitely miss the sims 3 way of moving out/splitting households.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SimGuru Graham posted this yesterday on his afternoon chat in response to a different question, but it also helps with the problem of "spares" having to buy starter houses!

"For sure! Press ESC in-game and select Manage Worlds. Once in that mode, you can click on the various households living in the world and evict them. You can even go a step further and click on Manage Worlds in the top-right corner and start to delete the households of Sims who aren't even living in the world, but show up from time to time wandering around.

Once you've cleared the place out, you can go through that same process to add your own Sims to the various households and even to the townie pool of Sims who don't live in the world. Might I also suggest using the freerealestate cheat so that you can afford to move any family into any lot? Just press CTRL + SHIFT + C while at the map and type in "freerealestate on" to make the cost of purchasing any lot free."
  • Options
    crozer29crozer29 Posts: 9 New Member
    Well that's nice, but I would reluctantly use any cheats, even if it comes as a tip from a developer... I know cheats are treated differently in this series than usual, also I am totally fine with being the director of family issues without the TS3 story progression.

I'd just like to see a built-in fund distributing feature when you split households.

Thanks for an existing solution though!
  • Options
    @crozer29
    I agree. I very rarely use cheats, but I did use this one to move my spares into the house I would have bought them if there'd been an equitable distribution of funds when they moved out.
  • Options
    Haha...."we missed something important to your gameplay so....CHEAT!" sorry I find that funny lol, but at least it's a sort of solution.
  • Options
    hominibushominibus Posts: 6 New Member
    This really bugs me. I want the youngest son in my family to move out and take the family inventory. Instead I have to move the older members of the family out (to a starter home), which makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    blackrogueblackrogue Posts: 4 New Member
    > @hominibus said:
    > This really bugs me. I want the youngest son in my family to move out and take the family inventory. Instead I have to move the older members of the family out (to a starter home), which makes no sense to me.

i get you. I wanted to move out the youngest son because he will start a new family, I want him to get most of the family funds so he can build a nice house but then there is no option like before where you can also transfer funds. I guess I have to move out the parents too. that is so sad coz I still want them to stay in their old house :(
  • Options
    GigiAAMGigiAAM Posts: 1 New Member
    Go to manage worlds then click the household you want to split then click add new household at the top right. Choose the sims that you want to move out. Then your done. Hope this helps. :)