Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin vs Steam

AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
I dunno where this would go, but I was just curious...
I always hear about how steam is better than Origin.. I'm not much of a gamer so I don't really care about the platform as long as I can download my sims games..
So yeah, what are your expiriences with steam? Is it better than origin?

Mods don't ban me please. I only use Origin. :)
attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hey AngelEb95, is there a steam option for 4 yet? i thought only origin was selling the base at least for now.

and that is why i would use origin over steam - steam at least with three did not get to sell at release all EPs, just for example Pets was released and then say months later steam was able to sell it

the other thing and again this is just sims 3 stuff so i cant say if it will be same - steam folks didnt patch the game themselves. i rather be in charge of patching. and they also if im recalling correctly cant use CAW

so if you are a causally simmer i dont see a problem but if you like all sims options and at the day of release i would go with origin
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    Steam is more of a community - I prefer it - it seems to give you more in-depth control and is more immersive than Origin.

Origin is basically just an online store - it lacks information about products - Steam has community hubs, forums, announcements, client updates, product updates, press releases, etc, etc, etc.

Origin is kind of as bare looking/feeling as you can get.

I deffo prefer Steam to Origin.
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    Ah wait - the question was not a general comparison of - but more in terms of The Sims.

I was answering more in general.
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited August 2014
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    hey AngelEb95, is there a steam option for 4 yet? i thought only origin was selling the base at least for now.

and that is why i would use origin over steam - steam at least with three did not get to sell at release all EPs, just for example Pets was released and then say months later steam was able to sell it

the other thing and again this is just sims 3 stuff so i cant say if it will be same - steam folks didnt patch the game themselves. i rather be in charge of patching. and they also if im recalling correctly cant use CAW

so if you are a causally simmer i dont see a problem but if you like all sims options and at the day of release i would go with origin

I don't use steam, so i'm not sure. I usually wait a bit before I buy EPs and whatnot. I'm almost always broke (the woes of a poor college student), so I have to save up. Even so, I doubt I would switch over to steam but ya never know ;)
    plopppo wrote: »
    Ah wait - the question was not a general comparison of - but more in terms of The Sims.

I was answering more in general.
    Yeah, it is a general comparison. I just used the sims games as an example because that's all i really play. :p
    I kinda agree about the lack of community on origin. There's a friend list, but there's really no way to add someone unless you like go somewhere else.

Another question. What are their sales like?
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    RealmeangoldfishRealmeangoldfish Posts: 48 Member
    Steam is better for any non EA game IMO
  • Options
    Ralf453Ralf453 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited August 2014
    AprettyaccuraterepresentationofwhatwillhappenduringtheSteamsummersale-33259.gif

This about sums up the summer sales over there :p
    grumpy-cat-lick.gif
  • Options
    BlazerineBlazerine Posts: 2,544 Member
    Besides the sales and free games on steam. Downloading is WAY better on steam than origin.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    One negative is that Steam won't sell you EPs unless you also bought the base game through Steam. Luckily I did that at a Xmas sale (base game and 3 EPs for $8 each). I registered them on the old TS3 site and installed through Origin. Now I can take advantage of both Steam and Origin sales on TS3 stuff. Or, actually I used to; I've since bought everything I intend to buy for TS3, except for possibly some Store worlds.

Anyways, I prefer Steam. I buy 99% of my games from Steam.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited August 2014
    Last June Origin had a meltdown with a lot of users unable to download anything. EA was absolutely horrible in addressing this, they never really did. It took me over 20 days to be able to download anything from the site.

And many, many other Simmers and users of other EA games had this issue as it came during an Origin sale.

Other people who did manage to get some kind of response from Origin help were given bad information and wound up worse than if they did nothing.

Bottom line, I will not now, nor not anytime soon ever recommending buying a download from Origin. Pay a $10 more and get the disk.

To be fair, Steam also had it's fair share of issues but being older has worked out most of the glitches, but to be more fair, Steam is much better at addressing issues with the Steam client, even if it's just to say "OK we don't know, hang on it might be a week." At least they don't hang you in thin air with no response.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I prefer Steam and would use it over Origin. Currently Origin has trouble identifying my log in data and forces me to install the same update every time I open the site. If I do not run the update, I cannot enter the site. I sent a report and have heard nothing.
  • Options
    CayziCayzi Posts: 402 Member
    edited August 2014
    Origin is better for Sims because its made by EA and you get the demo, sales, and you're able to pre-order sims games with it. Plus it's cleaner and easier to use. (To me, anyways) Personally I use both since there are some games you can get on origin that you can't get on steam and vice versa.
    (Oh and there a thing going around that Origin spys on you and what you're doing? I don't know the details but that's kinda creepy.)
    LE45tmE.png
  • Options
    I prefer Steam because that's where all my online friends are. I have about 10 on Origin and mostly never online.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    I have all my Sims 3 games from Steam. And I actually like it. Never really had problems, except when I really wanted Supernatural, and it only showed up on Steam a lot later. But after that I think every new EP has been there on the release date (I'm not sure about Seasons, though).

Anyway, I would prefer using Steam, if I get TS4. But it seems likely it won't be on Steam, so if I want it at some point I will probably have to get it through Origin (don't see any point in buying discs). Now I have it installed anyway, because I wanted TS2 Ultimate Collection.

The only problem I've found with Steam is that it doesn't seem to have the Sims -games on sale as often as Origin. And like someone already mentioned that once you have the base game installed through Steam, you're tied to purchasing all the EP:s through Steam, too. But, since I like using it better than Origin, I don't really mind.

Oh, and then, I don't know if it's possible with Origin, but with Steam I get all the updates installed automatically as they appear, so I don't need to keep up with them. Steam takes care of it for me.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    Rayeee18Rayeee18 Posts: 333 Member
    For The Sims, I would go with Origin. But in general, steam is a much more helpful website.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    CarlyfinnP wrote: »
    (Oh and there a thing going around that Origin spys on you and what you're doing? I don't know the details but that's kinda creepy.)

They don't "Spy" but they collect data and so do most websites, like Google, Facebook and a host of others. I can't see how Origin collects anymore data than other sites, this is not excusing Origin or any other sites, but it kind of how the world is now.

• Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    I just bought a bunch of games from Steam. First time I've been on in years but they have a much better selection of games IMO and some really good sales.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top