Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Pets: No Fluff Issue! (Fluffy fur used to show up fine!)

OK, so I know that the Pets "No Fluff" problem isn't anything new. There's plenty of simmers who have had this issue in the past and maybe some who still have it. But, since the release of the Pets EP, I never had any problems with fluffy pets showing up. But, after taking a break from simming for about a year, my love of the game has brought me back. So, I reinstalled. But, after my reinstall it appears that the graphics in the game have changed. My pets all look fat now instead of fluffy.

After searching for a while, I came across a thread that details which graphics cards are strong enough for fluff to appear. here:https://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/459616.page
The thread also says which graphics cards aren't strong enough for fluff. But, as far as I can tell my graphics card isn't on either list in this thread. But, it has always been my understanding that my graphics card goes above the requirements for The Sims 3, and I've been lucky enough that my in-game graphics have typically been very nice and smooth.

Below I have included some pics I took in Isla Paradiso to show what I can typically expect from my graphics card:

fcb5.jpg

q7us.jpg

2do6.jpg

These photos have NOT been edited at all except for re-sizing. As you can see, the graphics are generally nice and smooth. If my graphics card is strong enough to take nice in-game photos, why can't I have fluff on my pets?!
NOTE: If the trees/plants seem a bit low-quality, it's because I keep the "Tree Detail" setting on low to improve game performance.

Here is an older photo of a dog that I took before my break from simming:

dh38.jpg

The fluff isn't as noticable with this breed, but it can be seen if you look closely on the paws and back.
(Ignore the black dot near the face, added by mistake when drawing the arrows in GIMP and I didn't notice until now.)

This is a picture I just took of a dog that is the same breed (EA premade Schnoodle):

upc3.jpg

As you can see, the dog in the second image doesn't have any fluff at all. The first picture and the second picture were taken on the SAME iMac. Literally, nothing was changed about the iMac between the first and the second photo (except for not playing The Sims for a few months) This is what is confusing me the most. How can the same iMac/graphics card produce different graphics than it used to?!

Game/Mac details:

My game is correctly patched to the latest version 1.67

I have all expansions installed except for Into the Future (I'm saving up for that one!) and all stuff packs except for High End Loft, Katy Perry Sweet Treats, Decades (70's, 80's, 90's), and Movie Stuff.

All settings in-game are set to high except for "Tree Detail", "Draw Distance" and "High Detail Lots", which are all on the lowest setting. (I find that lowering these cuts down on lag.I have tested for fluff with all settings on high, but still no fluff!)
Also, "Object Hiding", "Advanced Rendering" and "Animation Smoothing" are all turned on.

My iMac is updated and I have made sure there aren't any new software updates.

The game and the iMac's resolutions are the same: 1280 x 1024
(I have read that changing the game's resolution to match your computer's resolution can fix graphical issues. I literally tried matching every single resolution the game had to the iMac, making sure to restart the game in between setting changes. But, this didn't change anything as far as I could tell.)

Here are the more in-depth specs about my Mac:

OS X Version 10.6.8
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac 11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.b00
SMC Version (system): 1.64f5

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670

If you would like to know anything else, just ask and I will provide it.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also, sorry this post is so long!

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited February 2014
    There is no solution. It works/breaks/works/breaks sporadically.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/739292.page
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    mieleybuggmieleybugg Posts: 23
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for directing me to that thread, BluebellFlora. Ugh, I didn't realize that it was something that can happen randomly. I've never had this issue before so I thought something else was wrong. So there's nothing at all I can do to fix this problem?
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited February 2014
    I haven't come across one. I'm currently furless too but it's not a game breaker, thankfully.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    mieleybuggmieleybugg Posts: 23
    edited February 2014
    That stinks. Well hopefully EA will release something to fix this problem for everyone who has it (but i'm not getting my hope up...). I know it's not a big deal or a game breaker as you said, I just got spoiled by not having this issue until now. I'm a huge animal lover irl so I'm very particular about my pets, lol.

I'm hoping that maybe if I get the Into the Future EP, the problem will fix itself. But, I'm just not sure if I should even spend money on it since The Sims 4 is allegedly coming out in a few months.

Thanks so much for all your help again!
  • Options
    royalbishieroyalbishie Posts: 1 New Member
    I am having the exact same issue, but I have never had fluff from the start :'(
    3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Macintosh HD
    Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
    Serial #:C02L763MF8J4
    OS X Yosemite

I would really appreciate help :)
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    As stated before, there is no fix. Sometimes it will show up and sometimes it won't. Sorry.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Hi. I forgot about Pets' no fluff issue. I will add this to Compiled list of bugs. The thread I linked has all the possible glitches and issues of The Sims 3 including Mac specific issues such as the Intel Iris Problem.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer