Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to Update your game when a New Patch is Released

1) NEVER, EVER, EVER USE THE LAUNCHER TO UPDATE YOUR GAME!!!!!!!!!! Period. The Launcher was not designed to handle files the size of the patches and it can cause the data to either become corrupt or not download the full patch.

2) Always download the Super Patch from the Second thread at the top of the Mac Forums. It may take several minutes to download, but that is because it is a large file. Make sure you do nothing else while the patch downloads to speed up the process.

3) Change Gatekeeper settings to allow the super patch. It is found under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab.
Click the lock to make changes then make sure allow apps downloaded from anywhere is selected.

Apple's info about Gatekeeper:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290

This is a basic operating system feature. Change your settings back after the Patch has been applied.

4) Do not update until you know that the Mods you use in your game have been updated as well. Check the websites that host those mods and make sure the latest release matches the Patch you are updating to. Out of date patches can cause your game to not run.

5) If you want to insure that your saved games are safe, pull the Sims 3 folder (Located Documents -> Electronic Arts -> Sims 3) to your Desktop. You can always add things back in little by little and the game will generate a new folder so no worries. Your saved games are safe and can be added back once you make sure the game is properly running again.

6) If you are having problems with Origin, check out this handy thread.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/727857.page

7) Honestly, this is the best thread on this forum for all other problems. BlueBellFlora is awesome and had worked hard to keep us Mac users update. Her thread here is the best for most troubles you may have.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/658546.page

**Updated to include Gatekeeper instructions**
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited February 2014
    ..... and this thread is great :D I'm going to add it to my main help thread - thanks Tremayne :thumbup:
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited February 2014
    Most welcome! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Katster82Katster82 Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    Wish i'd known this a week ago, would have saved myself some frustration! lol Thanks, downloading super patcher thingy now! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You are most welcome.

Bumping this back to the top of this page.
  • Options
    HugahavHugahav Posts: 7 New Member
    edited February 2014
    I wish I'd seen this thread before I updated but unfortunately only just found it. I hadn't opened the game in more than a year because I was so frustrated with all the freezing and crashes that were happening. I decided to try again a few days ago and got the message about a new patch being available. Not knowing about any other way to update, I went ahead and patched through the launcher. My game now works (no freezing or crashing, thank goodness) but I'm noticing a lot of lag. Could this be due to a partially installed patch or some corrupt data in the patch? Perhaps it's my graphics card? My iMac has an ATI Radeon HD 4850. If you suspect it may be the patch, do you recommend reinstalling the patch manually? If so, how would I go about doing that?
  • Options
    bhick9bhick9 Posts: 6
    edited February 2014
    If you're getting issues from an incorrectly installed patch or an incompletely installed patch, how would you go about rectifying the issue? Would it require a complete reinstall or something less drastic?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @Tremayne - might be worth putting in instructions for changing Gatekeeper settings to allow the superpatch as a lot of people don't appear to know about it.......

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab

click the lock to make changes then make sure allow apps downloaded from anywhere is selected.

Apple's info about Gatekeeper:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290

This is a basic operating system feature. I'm amazed that so many are not aware of it.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh, and the setting should be changed back after applying the patch.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks BlueBellFlora! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for the info BluebellFlora. I clearly still have a lot to learn about Macs since I was not aware of this feature. I was a PC person for years and this is my first Mac. I love it but some of the features, etc. are still puzzling to me. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Also wanted to thank Tremayne4260 for the original "how to" post. I always appreciate posts that clearly show the step by step procedure.

Should I try patching again using this procedure? Would I need to uninstall anything first? The launcher shows version 1.67.2. I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm sure you can tell that I'm not exactly computer savvy. ;) At least my game is playable at the present time, I just wish it was smoother and didn't lag so much. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I have all EP's up to Seasons installed. I'd like to get the others but have been hesitant to do so because I'm afraid they'll just slow it down even more.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You are most welcome. You might want to reinstall simply because there might be some old files that cause your game to lag. Use BlueBellFlora's guide on how to do a clean uninstall and reinstall, then patch your base game. Then install your EP's and SP's in release order (as seen on the bottom of the launcher) as the game data build better on itself when you do it that way. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    *bump*
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    *bump*
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    *bumping back to the first page*
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    *Bumping to Front Page*
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    *Front page bump*
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    *Back to the First page*
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    *Bump*
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    *First page*
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    *front page*
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited April 2014
    *bump* *bump* *bump* *ba-bump* *bump* *bump* *ba-bump*
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    *Da bump*