Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 items as Premium Content

EA recently released Skylight Studio for the Performing Arts and it includes 2 Premium Content items, a public shower and ballet board, but wait, those items are from The Sims 2.

This isn't the first time EA has done this, EA also did this with the Cow Plant (from The Sims 2 University), Pinball machine, Teppanyaki Grill (I remember it appeared in earlier games), Voodoo Doll (The Sims Livin' Large/Living it Up; Sims 2 possibly), Magic Cauldron (The Sims 2 Apartment Life), Crystal Ball, Baby Changing Station, Sauna (The Sims 2 Bon Voyage), Massage Table, Violin and Basketball Hoop (Both appeared in The Sims 2 FreeTime), Wishing Well (The Sims 2 Seasons), Gardening items like the Greenhouse walls and roof (The Sims 2 Seasons), Dragon (The Sims Makin' Magic).

I think that's a list of items from The Sims/The Sims 2 are demoted to extra.

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing. Good thing is that you don't need a specific game and the Cow Plant and Wishing Well are easier to obtain (Cow Plant requires going to University and getting a special career to obtain; the Wishing Well has that one hard task in Seasons. Bad thing is that you will pay a lot more money (Sunlit Tides is 2,450 SimPoints and this would require you to spend $30 for 3000 SimPoints to get a Sauna by buying Sunlit Tides).

What do you think about The Sims/The Sims 2 items being Premium Content?

Edit: Corrected The Sims 2 FreeTime's name.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Options
    vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    edited June 2013
    I agree with you. Also I've noticed that they keep selling a remake or items by just adding or taking away something. That's like selling and car then changing the color and tires then selling it again. I have so many things that are double, all it is doing is taking up space. Whats the point of being able to cast and object to make it different? they are doing it for us just to get the mighty dollar.

Money,money,money (MONEY!)
    Money,money,money (MONEY!)
    Some people got to have
    Some people really need it
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    edited June 2013
    Well since some of those items were iconic to the sims series I can see them releasing a new version for sims 3. Sims without the cow plant? Heaven forbid. The other items really added to the sims 2 so the game now would be incomplete without them. Besides I think EA is listening to their fans and giving them the stuff that is really highly in demand.

I always say the stuff is for sale, but nobody has to buy it. If you want it and it is worth it to you by all means buy it. If you don't like it or feel it is a rip off, vote with your wallet and save your money.
    :)
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited June 2013
    The thing that people overlook is that TS2 items generally had more interactions to them than a comparable TS3 item. EA can fool those that have never played TS2, but former TS2 players should really know better than to drop money on a TS3-ified TS2 item.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited July 2013
    I realized that the Dragon also appeared in Makin’ Magic now demoted to extra. I also played The Sims Bustin' Out and saw that the Basketball Hoop also appeared in The Sims.

I looked at the objects in The Sims Bustin' Out and noted that most mentioned objects (The pinball machine, basketball hoop, etc.) I saw in the game are demoted to extra (no longer included in the game by default).

At least the Expansions returned some Sims 2 features such as the PlantSim, Seasons, Pets and Vampires.
  • Options
    Creaky2005Creaky2005 Posts: 1,974 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Its like they keep stuff out of eps this time to deliberately sell them later. The baby changing station in the nursery bundle should have been in generations. Why give kids costumes and playground equipment but not add that for a toddler lifestage that lacks content? Same thing for baby monitors. In fact those are a poor substitute for the lack of interactions toddlers have in the first place.

A lot of these items were definitely better in ts2 and were not spruced up to look like they were something important enough to drop 5 dollars on when they were not. It's all about the money, and people keep voting with their wallets. For EA, going after other segments of the videogame market by releasing annual sports games or threequels isn't enough. They go after people who only play the sims as a hobby and try to get them to dip into their wallets as much as they can. It's pathetic, but then again you don't get on consumers bad side and get voted the worst company in america unless you pull crap like that.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited July 2013
    Here's another thing EA Demoted to Extra: The restaurant http://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:67573&categoryId=13570&scategoryId=13570

In The Sims 2 Open for Business, you can run a restaurant where it's standard. In Sims 3, it's now an extra and you have to pay $20 to do so.

I wonder if Sims 4 would do the same thing to Sims 3.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited July 2013
    Creaky2005 wrote:
    Its like they keep stuff out of eps this time to deliberately sell them later. The baby changing station in the nursery bundle should have been in generations. Why give kids costumes and playground equipment but not add that for a toddler lifestage that lacks content? Same thing for baby monitors. In fact those are a poor substitute for the lack of interactions toddlers have in the first place.

A lot of these items were definitely better in ts2 and were not spruced up to look like they were something important enough to drop 5 dollars on when they were not. It's all about the money, and people keep voting with their wallets. For EA, going after other segments of the videogame market by releasing annual sports games or threequels isn't enough. They go after people who only play the sims as a hobby and try to get them to dip into their wallets as much as they can. It's pathetic, but then again you don't get on consumers bad side and get voted the worst company in america unless you pull crap like that.

This 100%!
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    SundaymoonSundaymoon Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited July 2013
    Creaky2005 wrote:

Yes!!
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited July 2013
    Creaky2005 wrote:
    Its like they keep stuff out of eps this time to deliberately sell them later.

This, 110%. You totally are right.

But we can't really blame EA or be upset at them for it. It is our own fault. If we did not blindly throw money at them and instead stood our ground in protest of being milked for cash they would stop doing it.

I use the term "we" collectively, I realize many people do protest by closing their wallets. The problem is that plenty of people just throw out the money. Sad to say, I am one of them, despite knowing that makes me a part of the problem. :oops:
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods