Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will this laptop play sims 3 and all expansions.

Hi simmers,

I was wondering if a "Packard Bell TE, Intel Celeron B820, 8GB, 750GB " would play the sims 3 and all expansions. It has 8GB of ram and 750GB Hard drive space. I don't mind if it runs smoothly on low settings or even high settings I just need a new laptop that will play it. If it doesn't I'm looking to spend about £350 - £400 on a different laptop or desktop.

EDIT: I would not like answers like "Here are the system requirements". Thats not particularly my question, just a simple yes or no, will it play good?

Thanks

Louis&Sims

Comments

• Options
    ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited November 2012
    The most important component in determining whether or not a computer will play Sims well is the graphics card. What graphics card does that laptop have?
  • Options
    mustangmamamustangmama Posts: 312 Member
    edited November 2012
    Packard Bell EasyNote TE 15.6-inch Laptop (Black) (Intel Celeron B820 1.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit)

Brand: Packard Bell
    Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Type: Intel Celeron
    Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
    RAM Size: 8 GB
    Computer Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card Description: Integrated
    Graphics RAM Type: DDR3 SDRAM
    Operating System: Windows 7 Edition Home Premium

You may have problems with the processor, and possibly with the integrated graphics card as well. So I say "NO"! :(
  • Options
    iMidnightwarrioriMidnightwarrior Posts: 166
    edited November 2012
    Thank you so much for your replies and mustangmama i fixed my ambitions and i have nearly all expansions now, the problem is my laptop is a toshiba satellite (its like the 2006 edition or something) and its got integrated graphics and they are EXTREMELY TERRIBLE!! The only REAL grass you are able to see is the one on your lot the other just looks like green soil.. I was wondering if an AMD Radeon HD 7340 Discrete-Class would do the trick with 6GB Ram and 750GB hard drive. The laptop i am looking at right now is a HP Pavilion G6 Series at £349.99. Would Windows 8 be a problem with running the sims on it?..

Option 2

TOSHIBA Satellite C850D-11Q 15.6" Laptop. 6GB Ram, 320GB HardDrive. Graphics Card - AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Up to 2995 MB.

What one is the best, are they both rubbish?.. If one of use could do me a huge big favour and look at laptops/desktops for me that are no more pricey than £400 and has average graphics that will play sims well I might buy you something off of the store.

EDIT: If there is something about 3.2GHZ It would be great if you listed below.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited November 2012
    Packard Smell is known to be bargain basement. Same level as eMachines. The C850D-11Q has an APU which has integrated graphics that have been known not to run TS3 well. My recommendation is to keep looking.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Thanks Bob, as i said before if you can do me a favour and look for a laptop/desktop about £350 I will buy you something from the store maybe.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Would 4GB Ram be enough? The desktop I'm looking at is - COMPAQ CQ2940EA Desktop PC with LS20B300NS 20" LED Monitor

Dual-core Intel® Pentium® G645T processor
    Genuine Windows® 8
    Memory: 8 GB
    Hard drive: 500 GB

Option 2: Zoostorm 500GB 4GB Desktop Tower PC with 18.5 Inch Monitor. CPU and Memory:

AMD dual core A4 3300.
    Processor speed 2.5GHz.
    4GB DDR3 RAM.
    Hard drive:

500GB SATA hard drive.
    DVD optical drives:

Dual layer.
    32x CD-RW speed.
    32x CD+RW speed.
    48x CD-ROM speed.
    6x DVD-RW speed.
    6x DVD+RW speed.
    16x DVD-ROM speed.
    Graphics:

Shared graphics.
    On-board graphics memory.
    AMD Radeon HD 6410D graphics card with 2048MB memory.

Its not very expensive and I'm just looking for a kind of cheap gaming computer but at the same time expensive enough to do the trick.

Would one of those run smoothly on high settings or even low settings, I just want better graphics as what I have just now. The graphics are horrible. The only real grass you can see is the grass on your home lot. The rest looks extremely terrible and nothing like what other people looks like.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I guessed you where across the pond. 4gb would be enough as TS3 is a 32 bit application and can only use 4gb of memory max. ComPaq = HP (HP owns ComPaq) and I don't think much of either one (cheap!!!). Looked up Zoostorm but couldn't find out if there is a video slot as you don't list the model. The Zoostorm I saw with an A4 lists a PCIe video slot so you can add a video card later but lists a 300W psu (whimpy). There were reports of AMD APU (A4 is one) didn't play well with the integrated graphics and TS3. The Zoostorm may work ok but your probably looking at a psu upgrade and adding a dedicated video card.

I'm making my world award winning Goulash ala Hamburger Helper.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    What desktops/laptops have you all got? Reasonable prices..
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    There are many ways you can get a descent gaming rig at bargain prices. You can get good deals on motherboards just before a new version is coming out. Video card bargains are a little harder and rebates are common here (I hate rebates). Get an older model video card (unless your playing a newer DX11 game). I have seen new Nvidia 9800 GT cards (a good mid level card) as cheap as $50 USD. Most hard core gamers scratch build their rigs. Get a motherboard with integrated graphics and a video slot and and graphics card later. Watch the CompUSA and Fry's sale paper.
  • Options
    JasminJadeJasminJade Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    which laptop did you go for in the end? im looking for a new laptop and having the same problems!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    JasminJade: Haven't actually bought any yet. Still in trouble with finding what computer to go with. Let me give you a tip. Do not buy a laptop for sims 3 because laptops aren't upgradable. I have learned so so much about computers/laptops now. If you want something to run the sims 3 without lag your probably looking for something that has about 3.0GHz and a dedicated graphics card such as nvidia, amd or any others. Whatever you do don't buy a desktop with integrated graphics because they use up something called "RAM" and ram is basically what makes your computer a computer. If we didn't have ram we would have sims, photoshop, music, videos and all the other stuff we have. And your also looking for something with over 4GB of ram to run sims3. Building a computer would probably be the best for gaming but then again you might not know how to (I don't either). Hope you find what your looking for and I hope this information helps you pick the perfect desktop for sims. Goodluck!!

For those other people helping me before. I have some other computers and wanted to know if they would run sims 3, all expansions and stuff packs without lag. Tell me what one would be the best:

HP Pavilion p6-2310ea Desktop PC:

Processor AMD A4- 5300
    - 3.4 GHz
    - 5 GT/s DMI
    - 1 MB cache memory
    Operating System Windows 8
    RAM 4 GB (1 x 4 GB)
    DDR3
    Upgradeable to 32 GB DDR3
    Graphics card AMD HD media accelerator
    up to 2 GB
    Hard drive 500 GB
    7200 rpm
    SATA 3G
    Optical disk drive DVD writer SATA
    Read speed: CD: 48x / DVD: 8x
    Write speed: CDR: 52x / CDRW: 12x / DVD+/-R: 8x / DVD+/-RW: 4x

HP Pavilion p6-2260ea Desktop PC:

Processor Intel® Core™ i3-2120 processor (3 MB L3 cache) 3.3GHz
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64
    RAM 6 GB (1 x 2 GB, 1 x 4 GB)
    Graphics card Intel HD Graphics (going to upgrade this if it doesn't work well with sims).
    Hard drive 1TB
    Optical disk drive DVD writer SATA
    USB 2 x USB 3.0
    4 x USB 2.0
    Modem/Ethernet Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    Video interface 1 x DVI-D
    Audio interface 1 audio-in, 1 audio-out, 1 analog audio-in, 2 analog audio-out
    Sound Onboard - Beats Audio™ Console; HD audio 7.1
    Keyboard & Mouse Yes
    Software included Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel® only, with advertising. No PowerPoint® or Outlook®. Buy Office 2010 to use the full featured software. Windows Live Essentials; HP Magic Canvas 5.1; HP Link Up; Cyberlink Power2Go; HP Games Console; Norton Online Backup (30-day trial); EasyBits Magic Desktop; Microsoft Internet Explorer; Adobe Reader; Adobe Flash Player; Skyp
  • Options
    AldeaAldea Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2013
    Hey guys, I need some help:(
    I have recently bought The Sims 3 University Life..but I can't install it! :(when I click on the CD the installer box pops up and then you click on the icon to get to the steps to install the EP, but the icon to the EP is not clickable. Is it because I do not have enough GB? If I delete some of my other EP to The Sims 3 would it restore my GB/Memory or not? And would it get rid of my game forever like I wouldn't be able to reinstall it..? I'd appreciate a response and assistance.. :D
  • Options
    CarrieSimbeckCarrieSimbeck Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Aldea - I recommend you call technical support, they have been very helpful for me in the past with installing expansions. The number should be on the last page in the book that came with the game. It sounds like you are having a similar issue I had. My problem was my laptop couldn't keep up with the base game and all the expansion pack and it just reached a point where it refused to load any more, lol. Not sure if it was memory or the processor that couldn't keep up.

iMidnightwarrior - I've gone through a similar experience as you have. I accidentally fried my husbands Toshiba Satellite laptop and did significant damage to my Macbook trying to play the Sims 3. Unfortunately I've accepted that I cannot play the Sims until I can afford to build my own desktop rig. :cry: I highly recommend you get the best desktop you can afford, do a lot of research and check reviews. The desktop I'd build if I had the money right now would cost about $700. :shock: I need to win the lottery, lol
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    CarrieSimbeck: Thanks. I ended up buying a desktop which is really good, it plays everything on medium-high but in the weather it lags a little so I am upgrading to a gtx ### soon.
  • Options
    aliflo99aliflo99 Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    what did you go for in the end? I was going to update my desktop too! :)