Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot Start Launcher: Game update being installed

Ok, here is a new one on me. Starting this morning I cannot launch the Sims 3. I get the following error message:
"Cannot start the Launcher when a game update is being installed. Please try again after the install is complete."
Note: I am not updating the game and no update activity is being shown. The launcher just closes.
As if the new My Page wasn't enough hassle!
Kirk

Comments

• Options
    socalkdlsocalkdl Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited March 2012
    Never mind. The game launcher simply had a Liam moment. Rebooting my computer cleared it up.
  • Options
    DanielleViaDanielleVia Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    my launcher is also doing this. I have restarted my computer and still nothing...please help!
  • Options
    SeydonSeydon Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Had the same issue today while installing on a new computer.

After wasting tons of bandwidth redownloading the app and the patches, turned out that a lock file was left behind by the patch installer.

When installing a patch, a file TS3patch.lck is created under c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming

As soon as I deleted that file, the launcher started working again.
  • Options
    osamabinrobotosamabinrobot Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Thanks so much seydon!
  • Options
    simsfana3245simsfana3245 Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    @Seydon, I am having the same problem except I can't seem to find the appdata folder. When I try to make one with that name it says there is already a folder however it's no where in sight, any help? :(
  • Options
    SnowWolf864SnowWolf864 Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    @Seydon, I am having the same problem except I can't seem to find the appdata folder. When I try to make one with that name it says there is already a folder however it's no where in sight, any help? :(

The Appdata folder is hidden by default;

Windows 7 - Organise->folder and search options ->view(tab)-> Then under advanced setting there is "hidden files and folders" and just change to show
    Windows 8 - View tab(On any file explorer page)->show/hide->hidden items(just check the box if it is not already ticked)

hope that helped just ask again if that is confusing :P
  • Options
    FrankenraiFrankenrai Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    Can someone please help me :( I found the 'roaming' folder and I even put to show hidden files but I cant find the TS3patch.lck to delete... and when I try to start up sims 3 it still says: "Cannot start the Launcher when a game update is being installed. Please try again after the install is complete."

soooo is there something that I'm doing wrong or what? (I have no clue, please help)
  • Options
    Mister_PassiveMister_Passive Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    Thanks so much for the help @seydon, worked a charm for me :)