The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ghosts have worn out their welcome, I want them GONE!

For a while it was an interesting novelty, and nice talking to the ghosts on my property... but now they've started to become a massive annoyance. They're eating my food, breaking my stuff, waking people up at inconveneient times, and just being a general nuisance. I want them gone now... I have great memories of them when they were alive, but now it's time for them to move on.

Problem is they won't leave... ghosts are usually gone by morning, but for some reason these ghosts are sticking around 24/7. Thought getting rid of them was as simple as relocating their remains back to the mausoleum... but the game won't let me move their urns, because they're "in use" (presumably because the ghosts whose remains those are, are still active). So how do I get the ghosts to move off? Any way I can move their remains back to the mausoleum anyway? I'm wary of using the moveobjects cheat since last time it stuck me with rotten food I couldn't get rid of (seems to cause unpredicatble bugs). So what do I do to relocate the remains and/or get the ghosts to leave? Anyone know, or have some idea?

Comments

• Options
    ZenSandwichZenSandwich Posts: 221 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Once I had this random event when the repo man came and Ghostbusted my lot! I don't know how to get him there, but it may be worth considering.
  • Options
    janey83janey83 Posts: 47 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I HATE ghosts... I despised them in the Sims 2, as soon as a sim died I deleted the tombstone they drove me insane waking my sims up when they needed to sleep and breaking things.

Ive only come across 3 ghosts in the sims 3 so cant really say how I feel about them but there shouldn't be any ghosts... certainly not playable ones!
  • Options
    bethekinsbethekins Posts: 1,607 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Move their grave stones to the cemetery? That might stop them
  • Options
    bethekinsbethekins Posts: 1,607 New Member
    edited June 2009
    janey83 wrote:
    I HATE ghosts... I despised them in the Sims 2, as soon as a sim died I deleted the tombstone they drove me insane waking my sims up when they needed to sleep and breaking things.

Ive only come across 3 ghosts in the sims 3 so cant really say how I feel about them but there shouldn't be any ghosts... certainly not playable ones!

I kind of like them, but I guess I havent had any annoying ones. My sim befriended the little girl who drowned, got the opportunity to bring her back to 'life' and live with me. about 2 nights after my sim had tripplets so she went back to the netherworld D:
  • Options
    KarazaraKarazara Posts: 764 New Member
    edited June 2009
    janey83 wrote:

These ghosts aren't playable, that's the problem... I have no control over them whatsoever. If they were actually part of the household getting rid of them would be easy.

And before someone asks, yes, I've alreadsy been offered, and declined, the opportunity to attempt to make them playable (not that it would help now anyway since I can't move their remains).
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bethekins wrote:
    Move their grave stones to the cemetery? That might stop them

As per my original post, I CAN'T move their graves, because they're in use... they're considered to be in use as long as the ghosts are active.
  • Options
    two2cairnstwo2cairns Posts: 294 Member
    edited June 2009
    This isn't the best option, I know, but maybe it's the only one:

Move your other sims out of the house and leave that as the spooky haunted house of the neighborhood?

• Options
    edited June 2009
    two2cairns wrote:
    This isn't the best option, I know, but maybe it's the only one:

Move your other sims out of the house and leave that as the spooky haunted house of the neighborhood?

Too much stuff I'd lose if I did that; I'd love my deed to the bookstore and probably the transporter and body sculptor.

There has to be some way to get rid of them; I can't be the only person who's had this problem.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited June 2009
    Karazara wrote:
    Too much stuff I'd lose if I did that; I'd love my deed to the bookstore and probably the transporter and body sculptor.

There has to be some way to get rid of them; I can't be the only person who's had this problem.

Why would you lose that stuff?? I've never lost inventory items when moving...I thought that was only an issue when you switch active households (and if you aren't using the mod that prevents it).
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    addsbadgersaddsbadgers Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, you won't lose anything by moving. Just don't change your active household.
  • Options
    WayKoolJrWayKoolJr Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Once I had this random event when the repo man came and Ghostbusted my lot! I don't know how to get him there, but it may be worth considering.

Repo man comes when you don't pay your bills.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    OK, finally figured out how to get rid of them, but you have to be careful because it involves the moveobjects cheat (which can cause weird bugs if not used carefully):

1. Press Control-Shift-C; type in "moveobjects on".

2. Go into either build mode or buy mode.

3. Use the hand tool to grab the GHOSTS (NOT the urns/graves) and delete them.

4. Press Control-Shift-C again; type in "moveobjects off" (this disables the cheat in step 1 to ensure they aren't bugs or weird results).

5. Go back into live mode; the urns/graves should be draggable into personal inventory. You can now take them back to the mausoleum at the cemetary and put them back in storage using "manage dead."

If you want the ghosts back you can always re-bury them on your property (or place them in the cemetary if you want the ghosts there). The gravrs and urns can still generate the ghosts again if placed again.

If anyone else has ghosts on their property they want to get rid of, this is how to do it apparently.

I rethought the idea of having a family crypt in the backyard... ghosts are too much of a pain... now it's just a memorial to them, but they're not physically buried there anymore.

I suppose if you want a private cemetary but don't want your own personal house haunted, you could create a community lot and have your family buried there. Could put a mausoleum there too for your conveneince and just place your family's graves where you like. Seriously considering that myself... I like the idea of a private cemetary but don't want ghosts running around my personal residence!
  • Options
    ChayaSarChayaSar Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2009
    You could call the Ghostbusters?
  • Options
    ConflictxConflictx Posts: 91 New Member
    edited June 2009
    WayKoolJr wrote:

Repo man comes when you don't pay your bills.

I had the same thing happen though, but that was a few days after I moved into a house which was on a burial ground.
  • Options
    Kiya_ElleKiya_Elle Posts: 145 Member
    edited June 2009
    If you click on the grave do you not get the option to send the ghost back to the underworld? I read that you could get rid of the ghosts that way.
    My Avatar is from the painting Ursa by len-yan
    http://len-yan.deviantart.com/art/ursa-478030083
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Kiya_Elle wrote:
    If you click on the grave do you not get the option to send the ghost back to the underworld? I read that you could get rid of the ghosts that way.

Wish it was that easy! Well to answer your question, sort of; you can relocate graves or urns by dragging them into your personal inventory, then taking them to the cemetary to place them on a plot there or just put them back into the mausoleum by using the "manage dead" option. However they normall can't be moved if their ghost is active (because then the urn/grave is "in use."). But see my earlier post for a workaround for that using the "moveobjects" cheat. Let me repeat that if you do that, delete the GHOSTS not the GRAVES or you'll have annoying game issues.
  • Options
    beaynidSimbeaynidSim Posts: 784 Member
    edited June 2009
    usually to get them to go back into their urn or tombstone so you can put it into inventory, you can shoo the ghost and eventually it will go away. then pick up the tombstone and you are good to go :)
  • Options
    dk4ofjoshuayhyudk4ofjoshuayhyu Posts: 454 New Member
    edited June 2009
    If they come out once in a while, that's fine.
    I'll bury the whole family in the house backyards, like all rich people, having their own family graveyards.
    But, hey! They come out every night!
    The house is so haunted.
    One even tried to cook a waffle and time was up and disappeared.
    Then it gave me a good burning over the kitchen!
  • Options
    MoccaPlayer4MoccaPlayer4 Posts: 31 New Member
    edited June 2009

the repoman will come if your Sim's bills go unpaid