Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Preparing to Play Sims 3 in 2024 and Beyond

Last year I was having a great time playing Sims 3 until Microsoft forced an update and broke the Windows laptop that I was using to play the game. I installed Linux on some old trash to get my school work done, and I started using a PS5 to play the Sims 4. I miss the Sims 3 enough that I am willing to try and play hardball with Microsoft.

I am planning to buy an older refurbished desktop just to install the Steam version of Sims 3 and for nothing else. An older refurbished 16 GB desktop mini is easily acquired for under $150.00. The less that I use the machine for other things, the more freedom that I will have to optimize it for the Sims 3.

What are the best options to set up Sims 3 for longtime play when it was created for versions of Windows that Microsoft is forcing into obsolescence?

I love playing in the open world of Lucky Palms! It can have everything if I use my imagination and create a theme park for the things that are not native to deserts.

My semester at school ends in May and my summer classes do not start until June. So I have a month to set everything up and stalk the Sims 3 store deals before I will have time to actually play the game.

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,130 Member
    Sims 3 was my 1st Sims game back in 2011. :o When it became unplayable due to freezing back in late 2013, I jumped right into Sims 4 from day one in September 2014. I mistakenly thought it would be better. :( And even though Sims 4 never froze, even after all these years I still missed Sims 3. So, I went on it in 2018 with a new Digital Version instead of Disks & was amazed that it was fixed just a couple of years earlier. Well, I went & got some wonderful Store Content Packs that I couldn't get the first time. I loved Dragon Valley, Barnacle Bay, Roaring Heights, Monta Crista & Midnight Hollow. It so made my Sims 3 new again. :p Unfortunately, the EA App didn't & still doesn't accept the Sims 3 Store Contents. :'( So, I just uninstalled my Sims 3 in 2022. However, I started to miss the old game & even though I still can't play my Store Contents packs & just reinstalled my Sims 3. ;)
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 725 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Sims 3 was my 1st Sims game back in 2011. :o When it became unplayable due to freezing back in late 2013, I jumped right into Sims 4 from day one in September 2014. I mistakenly thought it would be better. :( And even though Sims 4 never froze, even after all these years I still missed Sims 3. So, I went on it in 2018 with a new Digital Version instead of Disks & was amazed that it was fixed just a couple of years earlier. Well, I went & got some wonderful Store Content Packs that I couldn't get the first time. I loved Dragon Valley, Barnacle Bay, Roaring Heights, Monta Crista & Midnight Hollow. It so made my Sims 3 new again. :p Unfortunately, the EA App didn't & still doesn't accept the Sims 3 Store Contents. :'( So, I just uninstalled my Sims 3 in 2022. However, I started to miss the old game & even though I still can't play my Store Contents packs & just reinstalled my Sims 3. ;)

Is there any way to add the store content manually, or play through the Steam app? I think I have played with both the Steam and the EA app, and I think I had store content in both. I had to do some weird stuff with codes though.

I have Dragon Valley but have not sent much time in it. Dragon Valley certainly will make the game new again! I added some of the Roaring Heights stuff to Lucky Palms as an amusement park. I added a crime museum next to the roller coaster and some other things. I had never thought to add some Dragon Valley stuff as an amusement park. I want to try that! Dragons flying around Las Vegas, LOL. I love it!
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,374 Member
    @Katofhyrule12 Steam edition works fine with store content. And all my store content works in EA Play version also, though I know a lot have had issues with that.
  • Options
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Katofhyrule12 Steam edition works fine with store content. And all my store content works in EA Play version also, though I know a lot have had issues with that.

Mine was fine too. I wonder why @SERVERFRA is having so much trouble.

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,410 Member
    I've heard of a lot of people having success playing the Sims 3 with a Steam Deck!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    I've heard of a lot of people having success playing the Sims 3 with a Steam Deck!

I will do some research on this! Thanks!
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,188 Member
    edited April 16
    I still play and with all my add-ons including store content and worlds through the EA App. It did take awhile to get everything downloaded and installed and I admit some frustrating moments but did eventually succeed.

edited to say: I play on a desktop, PC & Windows 11
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,123 Member
    I haven't had any major issues with EA app. It took me two days to reinstall everything( old saves and cc/mods) after not playing the game( sims 3) for two years. The launcher installed everything with ease and I have no issues with the sims 3 store or my sims 3 page. I can still post memories in game when I choose to play online..it's just slightly delayed. I play 90% off line and my sims 3 game is patched to the latest or last patch. I'm really loving the game right now. The Sims 3 game is more complex to play then 4 and way ahead of it's time.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 512 Member
    I’ve been having a great time in TS3 over the past couple of weeks. I switch between TS2, TS3 and TS4 as I love them all and thankfully they all still run very well on my Mac. I’m still on Origin and waiting to get switched over to the EA App any day now, and I’m slightly nervous about how TS3 especially will cope with that, and whether my store content will work. But I’m reassured by comments here and elsewhere that suggest it should all be fine in the end even if there are some hitches at first :)
  • Options
    Rob1992Rob1992 Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 16
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

Is there any way to add the store content manually, or play through the Steam app? I think I have played with both the Steam and the EA app, and I think I had store content in both. I had to do some weird stuff with codes though.

I have Dragon Valley but have not sent much time in it. Dragon Valley certainly will make the game new again! I added some of the Roaring Heights stuff to Lucky Palms as an amusement park. I added a crime museum next to the roller coaster and some other things. I had never thought to add some Dragon Valley stuff as an amusement park. I want to try that! Dragons flying around Las Vegas, LOL. I love it!

There is, You move the content into the downloads folder in the same place where your saves are stored. And then you can either double click the package files and hope that the launcher opens correctly *or* you open the launcher, and select which content you want to install inside of it and hit "add to game". I don't think the function of logging it and it retrieving it on its own has worked well in a number of years, and is also well outside of support.

Oh and as others have said, both the game and launcher will work on the steamdeck. Even better with the steam version specifically as that doesn't suffer from Origin/EA App issues
  • Options
    I have 3 weeks left of school. I cannot wait to start setting up my game. Running Sims 3 on Linux sounds too good to be true, but I cannot wait to try.