Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I had a dream that I got For Rent

And it made my gameplay so much better, as I suspected. I kind of thought it was real until I started thinking about how I was going to do things today in my game. Sigh. Is everyone who got that pack enjoying it? Have you made entire new saves using it or have you worked it into existing saves? Any tidbits of information that you have (about how it works etc), I would love to know!
All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited January 24
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    I will! Thanks! I never know what to make of the negative threads, you know, it seems like fanbases of games (not just sims) often complain about updates and things for not being exactly what they wanted, even though they are perfectly fine. So I usually ignore the negative threads. But I trust your input!
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I really want the apartments myself, but I've decided to wait it out and see how the fixes go because I've seen enough people report their entire games got corrupted and I've determined it's not worth the risk for me. My save is many years old and I would hate to lose it.

I would suggest that if you do decide to get the pack, make sure you make a copy of your Sims 4 folder to keep on your desktop or in a folder somewhere for backup in case anything goes wrong. I've made a habit of periodically saving copies after a significant amount of playing, just in case something ever happens to my game.

It's a common occurrence, even in past Sims games, that as the game gets older and more bloated with packs and patches, more things can potentially go wrong. So it's good to keep a backup anyway.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    What Lielf said. 👍🏼 I have one save I've been playing for 5 years. I make a backup once a week.

I do have For Rent installed but I only spent a couple of days playing as a landlord in one of the apartments that came with the game. I haven't placed any new residential rentals or made changes to any existing residential rentals or other lots in Tomarang. I haven't even sent my sims visiting in Tomarang. 😄So hopefully my save is safe.
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    @LiELF You know, I know that it’s good to keep backups but I am just so overwhelmed with just existing lol - you know how some things just fall aside when your mind is constantly under attack. But I never stick with saves anyway. People who play for example coral island who lose their saves and say they will never play again - with all of my games I have had soooo many saves, it is no big deal for me to start over, I honestly enjoy it. Even in games that require a lot of grinding. I do hope that my favorite saves in various games stay intact, but, it would not cause me to stop playing a game if I lost a save. I guess in one way that may be because of how tenacious I have had to be in real life, honestly, just to survive, it’s like I told my doctor yesterday - because people with my illness and illnesses like mine struggle so much and experience so much darkness, even the tiniest bit of light shines brightly and vividly. A game bug is the least of my concerns. I just enjoy the time I spend playing the game.

But I definitely am not going to knowingly add something to a game that will break it, so I truly appreciate all of the information!

Sorry about the random moment of thoughts there.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I moved my saves I been using for some years and will start a new save to see how bad this is and the loss will not be so bad.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    edited January 25
    I suggest people wait till they fix the lot issue. It has been corrupting peoples saves. I have only played a practice game since I bought the pack at the beginning of December because of problems changing a rental residential to another type of lot. I wish I had waited to buy the pack myself. Growing together had an issue with milestones but not something I considered actually save corrupting, so I played it ( it is fixed now ). Horse ranch had no major problems for me and was fun to play. But For Rent has major issues. And, I play with no mods or CC……
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    fujicakes1 wrote: »
    I never know what to make of the negative threads, you know, it seems like fanbases of games (not just sims) often complain about updates and things for not being exactly what they wanted, even though they are perfectly fine.

That's definitely true, and you'll find people in a Negative Thoughts thread saying things like:
    "What the row-of-froggies??!! They call a pack Growing Together when it doesn't even come with salamanders???!!! Missed opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    . . . Okay, maybe I exaggerate, but the fact is that you always have to worry about bugs with a new pack, so it pays to check out the negative feedback, let's plays, online gossip, etc. Find out what the actual bugs are not just if the pack is "buggy" according to someone. A bug that might be a deal-breaker to one person, might not be that big a deal for you.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I started having problems with my save after getting for rent. So I'm just using it for the BB and CAS at the moment. Luckily I had a backup of the save from before the pack came out.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I got the pack on release but currently stay away from playing the residential rental lots. I have enjoyed Tomarang though, and I play my game like I normally do. I did create a few rentals right after the release, but put all that on pause.

We don' know for sure what causes the more serious troubles like corrupted save, but I have a theory that most of those affected did try to maximum or push limits. We were told that 99 units per save is a limit, and max 6 units per lots. Later I read that 19 or 20 units per save might trigger problems. Plenty of simmers used cheats to exceed the 99 and 6 units limits. Another action I think causes trouble is switching a rental lot back to another lot category, and to adjust unit borders after actively playing a rental lot. If you complete the rental lot before assigning rental units and before moving anyone in, and then make n such changes, I think the risk of corruption is minimal. Adding up to 6 units to one lot, should be safe too, and if you stop long before 19 units total, I think you are safe. Avoid cheats and mods related to units.

So, if you can limit your use of the new features, I don't think the pack will cause much harm to your save. Otherwise, I'd rather wait for some long awaited confirmation from EA regarding what is safe and not.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 25
    I will! Thanks! I never know what to make of the negative threads, you know, it seems like fanbases of games (not just sims) often complain about updates and things for not being exactly what they wanted, even though they are perfectly fine. So I usually ignore the negative threads. But I trust your input!

Posts even if negative is still considered feedback but if they are fine for you than that is great for you but because they work for you which may fine, but it may not be working for others. Updates even if put out may not necessarily fix a game problem looking at how long a patch is made. When you have a base game that has multiple packs coded in, patching tends to be a little harder to do unless you patch up prior to moving onto the next pack. EA/Maxis for me does not tweak or patch as they should and the reason for so many negative posts. They never fixed bugs from previous versions and for some what makes one think they will here? They won't because they want to move on to their next project but for some it is a turn off and maybe not for you but being in the game for many years it is for me, and I played many games. I did buy the new EP as it is one of the features I was hoping for and now I have to cross my fingers hoping I will not encounter the problems others have been experiencing and I will not touch it until it is truly fixed as I hadn't played Sims 4 for over a year now and now it is going to be longer now.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Eleri wrote: »
    I never know what to make of the negative threads, you know, it seems like fanbases of games (not just sims) often complain about updates and things for not being exactly what they wanted, even though they are perfectly fine.

That's definitely true, and you'll find people in a Negative Thoughts thread saying things like:
    "What the row-of-froggies??!! They call a pack Growing Together when it doesn't even come with salamanders???!!! Missed opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    . . . Okay, maybe I exaggerate, but the fact is that you always have to worry about bugs with a new pack, so it pays to check out the negative feedback, let's plays, online gossip, etc. Find out what the actual bugs are not just if the pack is "buggy" according to someone. A bug that might be a deal-breaker to one person, might not be that big a deal for you.

True, but when those negatives build up it can be big deal for the developer and for me it is what the update contains and what is its targets meaning what is added and what it fixes( I am more into fixes than additions) Addition is fine but what is the use of adding additions when the pack/or packs is still broken. People want to play what they paid to play and not wait months or even a year or two to play when most bugs can be fixed if properly quality tested and not just thrown out to the wild.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited January 25
    Maybe wait until they patch the major issues with that pack. I haven't played with the residential rental gameplay at all until they fix it. I've been able to go to Tomarang with no problems but I just made one of the lots into a vacation rental and sent rotational sims there. That was completely fine and didn't do anything to my save. I am someone who would switch lots to residential rental and then would want to be able to switch them back to regular residential if a landlord sells them, so I've been holding off. I have had a sim get a part-time job as a handyperson which came with that pack.

If I really want, I could make a different save for residential rental gameplay but I'd like to use it in my main save, but not so much that I want to test it now. I have enough other stuff going on that I haven't been in a hurry but it seems like something they will fix. I came back to playing after a break and I've read about the bugs in My Wedding Stories and in Growing Together, both of which have been mostly fine for me so I do think they'll work on such key features for that pack. MWS seems to have a buggy first dance still but most of it works fine now. It would be great if there weren't any bugs but that's technology for you. I would not be thrilled if they did not work on them.

About timing, we all make our own decisions and that's fine. I'll also add that working on bugs should be a major focus of what they do and I'm guessing that they have heard the feedback from players. I'm one of those players and when I filled out the survey, I emphasized the importance of ironing out bugs.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.