Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Young Teens as New Lifestage

I keep hearing how some people want preteens and some say the child lifestage is already that in the game. For years I've always felt like there were huge age gaps between each age group, from bassinet babies jumping into children to children growing into their full-grown bodies as teens. Of course, as the years went on toddlers and the recently added infants have alleviated that problem for the most part. But then what about the teen height problem that has irked many of us for years? I myself and I'm sure others have been hoping for years that they'd take a hint and just shorten them to be a more distinct age group with packs such as parenthood and high school years, but alas I realized that would never happen at this point. So I thought maybe they'd add preteens, but that didn't seem quite right as I realized children are basically that. Then I thought about how they added young adults back in the Sims 2 and how perhaps they could do the same for teens and just call them young teens whilst giving them their own body frame. That way it can make more sense as I don't see many preteens attending middle school, but rather 5th or 6th grade, but that could be my bias as middle school for me was 7th and 8th.
The point is that it would be nice to have something in between child and teen that makes more sense to us all. A life stage that can finally give the game that sense of growth that has been missing from day 1.

Comments

• Options
    gbaisdengbaisden Posts: 95 Member
    My teens always look like full grown adults.
  • Options
    crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    gbaisden wrote: »
    My teens always look like full grown adults.

Mine too and I almost think the preteens mod is how teens should have looked to begin with and how young teens should look if they are ever officially added.
  • Options
    gbaisdengbaisden Posts: 95 Member
    I don't put makeup on them maybe some lipgloss and try to dress them as teens would probably dress. They shouldn't be the same height as parents.
  • Options
    BreakTheSilenceBreakTheSilence Posts: 34 Member
    edited October 2023
    Personally I have never liked this current method when the characters suddenly jumping into a new stage of life as soon as they reach a certain day. I don't know in which Sims we will finally achieve that the characters just growing slowly and gradually, i.e. a little bit every day.
  • Options
    HaymitzHaymitz Posts: 27 Member
    Agreed with this, there's no clear transition between child and teen stages
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,653 Member
    I would like preteens as a new life stage because I personally don't see the child in the Sims as Preteens and the height of teens never bothered me I wanted Preteens since the Sims 2 and teens were a lot shorter then I would love a middle school and more school activities added to the game.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,449 Member
    No. No. No. Let the boring child life stages end and give us something interesting to do.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Please no. It's enough of a grind now to get Sims to adulthood. We don't need anymore life stages.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,529 Member
    The only issue I have with yet another child/teen life stage is that a lot of it is taken up by school and homework and there is nothing you can do about it. A large part of their life is taken up by a rabbit hole activity and then they come home and have to do the homework. If they add another life stage, maybe they could add some interesting elements like summer and winter vacations, afterschool activities like ballet, baseball, beginner's robotics, more summer and winter specific activities for everyone, more family interactions.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »
    The only issue I have with yet another child/teen life stage is that a lot of it is taken up by school and homework and there is nothing you can do about it. A large part of their life is taken up by a rabbit hole activity and then they come home and have to do the homework. If they add another life stage, maybe they could add some interesting elements like summer and winter vacations, afterschool activities like ballet, baseball, beginner's robotics, more summer and winter specific activities for everyone, more family interactions.

That's what I would love as well like for the high school years I really on the fence of making it an active school or not. But I would love like how Sims 3 we had activities. I would like for Sims 3 school tweet Sims 2 Free time make game play fun like either we can do homework like normal or they can swim for a couple hours, look for a certain bird, or frog, bug, write a report on it. Read a book, write a report on the book. Find a plant or fruit or vegetables. Have crazy days like ok the calendar of day Pajama day wear pajamas at school, a certain color day wear a color at school, crazy hat day, you get it. Feild trips, Summer and Winter Break, School Bake Sale, Bake Something and have your kid take it to school, school faculty appreciation. Awards for perfect attendance, good grades.

I know this can be introduced with any lifestage but Preteens I would like for the Sims to add instead of your kid inviting over the friends how about instead of going home we get invited to either the friends house or like a community lot to hangout. Introduced a chaperone date like either our playing parents come or the townies or premade family comes and chaperone the "date."
    Voice crack, first training bra.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,192 Member
    Yes please!! <3;)
  • Options
    Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Pre-teens and mid adults please!!!!!!
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited October 2023
    As a mother of a young teenager, a 14-year-old, who is already towering over both me and his father at more than 180 cm, I do not have a problem with how tall the teens are in sims 4. There is no form of normal where teens are shorter than adults, as a teacher I just as often find the opposite to be true. That said, teens still possess some lankiness that quite often distinguish them from adults and the game could have done this better.

Still, I find what most irk me about teens in game is how adult they behave. They wake up at 6am every day, make their bed, help set the table without being told, clean their plates after dinner and never misses the hamper in the evenings. That is just not teenage behaviour. Set a hamper next to your teenagers bed and they'll still magically miss it every. single. time! Making he bed? Without being told? Yeah right! Same with cleaning up dishes or picking things up! Without being told a teen is quite often a slob. I wish this was reflected more in their behaviour.

Teens' needs are also different. Their hygiene drops faster (especially for boys), they are generally harder to wake up in the morning (but prefer being awake later at night), their social need is quite often larger, and they're hungrier as they develop, but also put on less weight and have a lot easier time to get fit. Basically every single need save for bladder and energy should drop faster for a teens than adults. Energy should take longer to recharge, but drop slower. And yes, I realise this does not apply to all teens (my own quite often gets up early, for instance, as did I when I was that age,) but as a general rule of thumb it still applies.

I also wish there were more things to argue about with your teens. Now you have rules, curfew and music (If you have parenthood), but how about what friends they have? Or how they dress? Or opposing political views? Or school and how serious they take it? Romantic relationships? How much time they spend on their phones, or gaming on the computer?
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    JAL wrote: »
    As a mother of a young teenager, a 14-year-old, who is already towering over both me and his father at more than 180 cm, I do not have a problem with how tall the teens are in sims 4. There is no form of normal where teens are shorter than adults, as a teacher I just as often find the opposite to be true. That said, teens still possess some lankiness that quite often distinguish them from adults and the game could have done this better.

Still, I find what most irk me about teens in game is how adult they behave. They wake up at 6am every day, make their bed, help set the table without being told, clean their plates after dinner and never misses the hamper in the evenings. That is just not teenage behaviour. Set a hamper next to your teenagers bed and they'll still magically miss it every. single. time! Making he bed? Without being told? Yeah right! Same with cleaning up dishes or picking things up! Without being told a teen is quite often a slob. I wish this was reflected more in their behaviour.

Teens' needs are also different. Their hygiene drops faster (especially for boys), they are generally harder to wake up in the morning (but prefer being awake later at night), their social need is quite often larger, and they're hungrier as they develop, but also put on less weight and have a lot easier time to get fit. Basically every single need save for bladder and energy should drop faster for a teens than adults. Energy should take longer to recharge, but drop slower. And yes, I realise this does not apply to all teens (my own quite often gets up early, for instance, as did I when I was that age,) but as a general rule of thumb it still applies.

I also wish there were more things to argue about with your teens. Now you have rules, curfew and music (If you have parenthood), but how about what friends they have? Or how they dress? Or opposing political views? Or school and how serious they take it? Romantic relationships? How much time they spend on their phones, or gaming on the computer?

Argue about opposing political views I'm sorry but disagree it heated irl I come to the sim to escape especially next year with the debate and election coming up no thank you. I would like relationship status because in my cas family it's a typical good girl falls for bad boy and dads a police officer and you know the rest. I would like for teens to be punished for getting detention more then once, like a phone call home or even suspended where they can't come to school for a day or two. Then they get grounded for however long.
  • Options
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Argue about opposing political views I'm sorry but disagree it heated irl I come to the sim to escape especially next year with the debate and election coming up no thank you. I would like relationship status because in my cas family it's a typical good girl falls for bad boy and dads a police officer and you know the rest. I would like for teens to be punished for getting detention more then once, like a phone call home or even suspended where they can't come to school for a day or two. Then they get grounded for however long.

Just because the option is there it doesn't mean you have to use it. I feel in general the sims are (too) good at making sure nothing unpleasant happens without your active involvement.

• Options
    JAL wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »

Just because the option is there it doesn't mean you have to use it. I feel in general the sims are (too) good at making sure nothing unpleasant happens without your active involvement.

Not in my game I got unwanted drama from the game itself some random townie flirted with my sim whose loyal all of a sudden she felt she cheated and I'm like what??? So then I didn't say anything and she felt guilty, and sad I'm like but she didn't cheat lol. Also it happened again my game a random townie flirted with a nother and the husband saw that as cheating didn't even have the jealous trait but yeah I'm like what is going on he was furious at her for awhile also they were supposed to get married so I had to wait and wait wait unnecessary drama and it wasn't even my doing lol.
  • Options
    Yes, when it comes to flirting the game is weird like that. I think that is because flirting isn't a mean interaction per say. But it is weird that a sim will feel cheated on because someone else is flirting with their spouse, even when that sim is unresponsive. And I never understood why my married sims get flirted with all the time, while my single sims can be in dozens of bars and no one ever flirts with them autonomously. Or why a sim in a flirty mood cannot distinguish between their own children, their spouse, or just about anyone else.
  • Options
    EnRouteEnRoute Posts: 12 New Member
    @JAL
    lol. What did you expect from a mood based attraction system. Although even I didn't know about the incest part of the game. In this case it wouldn't hurt to introduce some restrictions in terms of family members.
  • Options
    @EnRoute Well technically I don't think they're actually flirting, but they move and sound in a flirty way when they are in a flirty mood, which makes it look like they're flirting with their kids. It looks super weird.

Anyway, I think we're hijacking the thread to talk of things other than whether or not we need young teens or pre teens. LOL :)
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,386 Member
    I definitely think it's strange that the teens look basically like the young adults. Teenagers irl still look like children, just children that are starting to grow up - because they ARE still children. Even looking back at pictures of myself at 18 when I thought I was so grown up, I was this little stick of a girl with the most youthful face. I grew two inches in my twenties and I also didn't get certain upstairs things until I was in my twenties. While some kids did mature faster than I did, they still looked just as young. And I have some nieces and nephews, two of them turn 18 this year and I can safely say that they do not look like young adults yet lol. As much as I'm sure they think they do. It's not like I'm an old person thinking this, I'm only in my thirties. But I am old enough to have teenagers as kids if I had kids, so I see them from that perspective I guess.

I am guessing maybe the sims isn't advanced enough graphics-wise to differentiate between teen and young adult super well, just like how they portray adults as looking like elders. Something else we all hate lol. I think they probably do the best they can maybe? There are soooo many things that people want.
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
    I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
    I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
  • Options
    Perti23Perti23 Posts: 71 Member
    Personally I have never liked this current method when the characters suddenly jumping into a new stage of life as soon as they reach a certain day. I don't know in which Sims we will finally achieve that the characters just growing slowly and gradually, i.e. a little bit every day.

Sounds cool but how would that be implemented with aging off?
  • Options
    BeeBlossom98BeeBlossom98 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Mak27 said:
    > Pre-teens and mid adults please!!!!!!

!00% agree! :D