Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uninstalling packs/ disable?

I don't want to use most of the packs I have anymore, but I remember the last time I felt that way and I disabled Cats & Dogs I almost lost it because that computer was close to dying and when I reinstalled TS4 on my new PC I could not install C&Ds and realised it was because I had disabled it.

My old PC lived the few minutes it took to reactivate it so I could add it to the new PC, thank god.

Now the reason I tell this little story is because like i mentioned I don't want to use and see about 80% of the packs I have, but I don't want to disable them with the risk of losing them.

Is there still no way to uninstall/ inactivate individual packs like with TS3 still?

I don't want to have to disable. Especially since this time it's most of the packs, and while I don't want them anymore I still want to have the option to use them in the future, maybe, I don't know. I also don't trust the disable way to go since if I couldn't reactive it by myself EA customer service wouldn't have helped me (as they didn't before I realised me having disabled it might be the problem). They just basically said, well that sucks that it doesn't work, buy it again.

... Or maybe I can gift them to get rid of them? If it is possible to gift "used" packs even. I understand I won't be able to play with them again then, but I won't ever get the money back for them anyway so maybe someone else can enjoy them instead...

I really just want to uninstall them first though, and see if I like the game better without them :s
Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack

Comments

• Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member

yeah that's the way I did it last time. I was hoping for an official way to do it by now. Thanks anyway :)
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    You can use that web tool to help you, but if you go to the file explorer directory of where your game is installed, there you will find all the packs labelled EP01, EP02, GP01, GP02, SP01, etc. Those are the pack files, you can delete the respective files you want to uninstall the packs you want removed. You can always reinstall them later. The pack disabled tool helps label which EP, GP and SP folder is which pack. EP01 for example is Get to Work.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Did your new computer not let you remove the command used to disable packs? I'm not sure why you needed the old computer for this.

Upon Google searching I found two ways to uninstall packs.
    • Option 1: Uninstall The Sims 4 directly through EA app or Origin. Install The sims 4 again this time only downloading the packs you want.
      Downside is I'm not sure there's anything stopping these packs from auto downloading. There's only the option to turn off automatic updates but not game downloads.
    • Option 2: Go to the game directory and delete the pack folders for the packs you don't want.

Again this is all from Googling answers. I have not tried these steps myself so it's at your own risk. Make a backup of your game beforehand.
    I personally haven't had any issues with disabling packs using commands. Nor have I seen anyone else have issues with it. You can always remove the command the same way you entered it.

Once a game is registered to your account there's no gifting it to someone else.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    It would be nice if they made is so we could disable/enable the packs and expansions like Steam does with mods.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    You can always just move the pack file to a safe place rather than deleting it from the Program Files for Sims4. Or for Sims3. Just create a new folder in your Documents folder and place the program files in that folder. This will eliminate using the disable packs option and keep those packs from being permanently lost should you want them later.
  • Options
    filipomel wrote: »
    You can use that web tool to help you, but if you go to the file explorer directory of where your game is installed, there you will find all the packs labelled EP01, EP02, GP01, GP02, SP01, etc. Those are the pack files, you can delete the respective files you want to uninstall the packs you want removed. You can always reinstall them later. The pack disabled tool helps label which EP, GP and SP folder is which pack. EP01 for example is Get to Work.

Cool, thanks! Still wish there was an option in the EA app to just install whatever I wanted but this sounds manageable at least.
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Did your new computer not let you remove the command used to disable packs? I'm not sure why you needed the old computer for this.

Upon Google searching I found two ways to uninstall packs.
    • Option 1: Uninstall The Sims 4 directly through EA app or Origin. Install The sims 4 again this time only downloading the packs you want.
      Downside is I'm not sure there's anything stopping these packs from auto downloading. There's only the option to turn off automatic updates but not game downloads.
    • Option 2: Go to the game directory and delete the pack folders for the packs you don't want.

Again this is all from Googling answers. I have not tried these steps myself so it's at your own risk. Make a backup of your game beforehand.
    I personally haven't had any issues with disabling packs using commands. Nor have I seen anyone else have issues with it. You can always remove the command the same way you entered it.

Once a game is registered to your account there's no gifting it to someone else.

Yeah I couldn't enable it again on my new PC. When I realised the disabling part might be the problem I tried to enable it again on my new PC but that didn't work. Nothing happened. I could still see that I owned the pack but could not use it and I couldn't install or enable it again and in game it obviously looked like I didn't have it.

This was some time after C&D was released so it might have changed since then or maybe I am supposed to be able to enable it on another computer if I disable it on another, and it for some reason didn't work for me. Wouldn't surprise me :#

I don't think uninstalling the game and reinstalling it will work, the packs I have always reinstalled automatically after I have done that in the past. Although it was a few years ago by now and on Origin, maybe the EA App does it differently. Maybe worth a shot :o

Sucks you can't gift it, at least that way I could have gotten rid of the worst ones. Oh well, thanks!
  • Options
    Arzekial wrote: »
    It would be nice if they made is so we could disable/enable the packs and expansions like Steam does with mods.

Agreed. I don't see why they can't. That way people will probably experience less bugs as well and therefore complain less so it's a win win for us and for the devs ;)
  • Options
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    You can always just move the pack file to a safe place rather than deleting it from the Program Files for Sims4. Or for Sims3. Just create a new folder in your Documents folder and place the program files in that folder. This will eliminate using the disable packs option and keep those packs from being permanently lost should you want them later.

Is that the same as what @filipomel but the difference is not deleting them and saving them somewhere else?

If I delete them they should still be able to be installed later on right, regardless if I save the files somewhere else?

I'm thinking since I can't gift them I might as well keep them for the future (since I got no other choice :D ), say one of my siblings kids would like to play in the future, I can reinstall whatever they'd like to try. Although I doubt they'd want to either. Agh. I wish I hadn't bought the ones I don't want. Well well, you live and you learn. Next time I will be more careful about the packs I buy.
  • Options
    Oh by the way, I have uploaded some things that use packs I want to remove, how does that work if I download one? The sims/ houses would just be missing that content, I get that. But the image would still look like it should and people downloading them should get the, for example, SE parts of the sim even in I have in removed from mine and technically don't own it anymore?

I don't want to mess upp things I have uploaded for others. I assume the game would not care if I have it or not when others download and that it would only matter for me when I download my own things?