Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My First Attempt At Making CC

Good morning world and all who inhabit it!

Alright, so I've decided to try my hand at modeling. Blender is a lot harder to navigate than other programs that I've used before, such as good old Paint 3D.

My original goal was to make a chicken head...hat...thing. But, I struggled with Blender for a while and decided to settle for the horrific masterpiece which I have dubbed Freak Head.

After about ten tries, I was able to upload a working-ish mesh to Sims4Studio. The texture, though, is causing me a whole load of problems.

In spoiler tags because it's ugly. So very ugly.
Here's how it looks in Sims4Studio. The texture applies to the whole body instead of just the hat/head/thing. When I tried erasing the part of the texture that applied to the body, the head was missing parts.
unknown.png

Here's how it looks in CAS when I put clothes on the Sim.
09-03-21_2-23-36_PM.png
09-03-21_2-24-32_PM.png

I don't know how to fix it and honestly I'm not sure if I want to lol. It just seems to add to the chaos. Then again, if I want to make that chicken head, I'm going to have to figure out why the texture is weird.

Anyway, yeah that's my CC attempt. Hopefully it doesn't give anyone nightmares xD

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,361 Member
    I applaud your attempt. 👏🏼

I wouldn't know where to start making cc.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,166 Member
    edited September 2021
    first ones got splendid mustache :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,437 Member
    edited September 2021
    The reason it's applying to other parts of the body is because your texture is on the other parts.

TS4 UV Maps look like this:
    GAueCqr.png

So if you only want the texture on the face/head, your texture can only be in that area

Here's a better view so it's easier to understand where to place your texture
    Wd0fC00.png
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    The reason it's applying to other parts of the body is because your texture is on the other parts.

TS4 UV Maps look like this:
    GAueCqr.png

So if you only want the texture on the face/head, your texture can only be in that area

Here's a better view so it's easier to understand where to place your texture
    Wd0fC00.png

I tried erasing the areas that are labeled "top", "bottom", and "shoes", but then parts of Freak Head were missing the correct texture and instead used the texture of the model's body. If that makes sense. I'm not too good at describing things.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Is your UV Map for the new head only placed in Head section in Blender?

In Blender your new head mesh UV (or whatever you cloned, I cloned the Head), must be placed in the exact same position as the original.
    qs49K7Q.png

So if your Mesh is below or above that area, it will take on the texture of whatever is in those areas.

• Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    @Chicklet453681 Do you have a link for all the UV maps like that? That looks really handy! I've only been doing paintings, posters, and decals. Been thinking of at least trying recolors - retextures for clothing.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 29,007 Member
    I've never attempted anything cc. LOL From the looks of things I knew it would be over my pay grade. Best of luck @LynnPlayz1I hope you get it sorted out.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,517 Member
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    In spoiler tags because it's ugly. So very ugly.
    Here's how it looks in Sims4Studio. The texture applies to the whole body instead of just the hat/head/thing. When I tried erasing the part of the texture that applied to the body, the head was missing parts.
    unknown.png

Here's how it looks in CAS when I put clothes on the Sim.
    09-03-21_2-23-36_PM.png
    09-03-21_2-24-32_PM.png

Why fix it?!
    This is pure class! 🤣👏🏼👏🏼❤️

• Options
    edited September 2021
    @Admiral8Q I uploaded them in a zip file to my SimsFileShare account...... CAS Textures are always 1024x2048 so these are the correct sizes.

https://www.simfileshare.net/filedetails/2720123/

Have fun and please share images of your new CC! Would love to see them!

I'm a build/buy creator mostly and just recently started attempting to recolor some EA clothing meshes. To me they are a lot harder to do because the textures highlights, shadows, seams are mostly "drawn on", unlike BB CC which you can bake shadow maps in blender to help with shadows/highlights and depth. For objects I will actually mesh my details on it so I don't have to try and have a steady hand to hand draw the details. I'm still trying to master the pen tool in photoshop for clothing seams and details.

Here's WIP of my first CAS recolor (it's the dress from DHD in some funky retro 70's patterns I had).
    xX7EfT8.png
  • Options
    Is your UV Map for the new head only placed in Head section in Blender?

In Blender your new head mesh UV (or whatever you cloned, I cloned the Head), must be placed in the exact same position as the original.
    qs49K7Q.png

So if your Mesh is below or above that area, it will take on the texture of whatever is in those areas.

Evidently I'm even more of an amateur than I thought because I don't know what a UV map is :v
    I'm going to take a look as soon as I can.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    Don't give up! At least you are brave enough to try. I'm sure you'll do fine with a bit of practice. @Chicklet453681 creates awesome things for the game and I should know because I've downloaded almost everything she's made. Hang in there and don't stop asking questions is my best advice. And keep us posted on your progress. <3
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »

Evidently I'm even more of an amateur than I thought because I don't know what a UV map is :v
    I'm going to take a look as soon as I can.

Hey! I have no idea what it stands for either. I'm impressed you went to Blender.
    I looked at it, but haven't done anything yet.

Your "stupid" head is hilarious!
    I respect people like you who are not afraid to try. :smiley:

Cheers!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options

@Chicklet453681 I was actually looking for "Adult", T-YA-A-E, not "child".

But thanks anyways.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    Oh dear I thought that I already sent this comment but I must've hit the wrong button or something.
    I applaud your attempt. 👏🏼

I wouldn't know where to start making cc.

Thank you! 😅
    Simmingal wrote: »
    first ones got splendid mustache :lol:

Yeah lol my initial thought was "okay, that's not so bad", but the second one looks like someone stuck some paper mache on it.

• Options
    I've never attempted anything cc. LOL From the looks of things I knew it would be over my pay grade. Best of luck @LynnPlayz1I hope you get it sorted out.

Thanks, I hope so too!
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Don't give up! At least you are brave enough to try. I'm sure you'll do fine with a bit of practice. @Chicklet453681 creates awesome things for the game and I should know because I've downloaded almost everything she's made. Hang in there and don't stop asking questions is my best advice. And keep us posted on your progress. <3

I will, thank you! 😁
  • Options
    @Admiral8Q Sorry! I misunderstood.

I've uploaded both Male and Female ADULT UV Maps to my SimsFileShare folder.

Hope this helps!

https://www.simfileshare.net/filedetails/2721067/
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,103 Member
    I've never done Sims 4 cc, but I've made things in Blender, and I have to say you are doing amazing for a first try at texturing/UV mapping @LynnPlayz1 .

• Options
    @Admiral8Q Sorry! I misunderstood.

I've uploaded both Male and Female ADULT UV Maps to my SimsFileShare folder.

Hope this helps!

https://www.simfileshare.net/filedetails/2721067/

This is excellent. Been playing around with it not really knowing exactly where things are cut off or whatever. (I suppose this would help with clipping meshes in blender too.)
    Figures that the head/face is the biggest area. Most detailed.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    So I messed around in Blender for a few hours and I'm not any closer to understanding how to get the texture to only apply to the head section. I searched YouTube for a tutorial but couldn't find one that had what I was looking for. Does anyone know of a good tutorial?
  • Options
    I would look at the tutorials on S4S, they have a fantastic beginner meshing tutorial that goes through all of the steps from meshing, uv mapping, baking your shadow map. That's how I learned. I started off with that tutorial and then started "converting" TS2 & TS3 meshes that I had been wanting in the game, then I moved on to doing mesh edits of existing EA meshes, and when I couldn't find what I was looking for I sat down (and cursed and cussed and screamed at my computer) and meshed something from scratch from beginning to end.

I also may have a written tutorial from Sim_Man123 at TSR for beginning meshing but it uses TSRW and not S4S so a few of the steps are different, the actual meshing/uv unwrapping would be the same but how you texture and get it into the game is different since they're different programs.

If you have skype and a headset I can share my screen so you can see what needs done.
  • Options
    Thank you very much! I'll take a look at the S4S tutorials as soon as I can. Unfortunately I don't have Skype and I haven't replaced my broken headset yet, but thank you for offering 😄
  • Options
    Hello, everyone!

Well, it took a few months of trying to make other things and failing to learn from tutorials, but I finally fixed my glorious Freak Head. Mostly anyway.

Now the texture is only in the head space area.
    01-08-22_8-28-48_PM.png
    01-08-22_8-28-51_PM.png
    01-08-22_8-28-54_PM.png

Ah, victory smells like pomegranate tea and scrambled eggs. There is a seam, but I don't mind it too terribly much. I'm excited because maybe it will be easier to make that chicken head finally?

That is all. 👋
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I do my own CC, but I stick to tuning mods and recolors.....I wouldn't even begin to touch things I don't understand like meshes, and I've been doing recolors and tuning overrides since TS1. I applaud your bravery!

That's just...freaky.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    That is really quite remarkable!