The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New to TS4... my sims appear to have zero attention span... is this normal?

I have played TS1 - 3, but I am new to TS4 (have only been playing for about a week). My sims just seem to have zero attention span and short-term memory loss. For example, I will tell my sim to put his/her toddler in the highchair and feed him. They will put him in the high chair, stand there for a minute, and then take him out again. There are a ton of these sorts of situations. I may even have to ask them to do something many times before they actually do it. They will often stand there for a while thinking about doing the action but then cancel it on their own.

Yesterday Santa came and I had to click "ask for present" multiple times before he did.

This sort of stuff happens a lot when they eat as well. They will take a meal out from the fridge to eat, but then cancel the action on their own and just place it down on the counter.

They also usually stand around a lot before performing an action I tell them to.

I'm wonder, is this just how the game is or is it a bug in my game? I have a great computer and otherwise the game runs fine. Absolutely zero lag even on the highest graphics settings. Load screens are like 5 seconds.

Comments

• Options
    SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    Probably just the game (my sims do that to me a lot). Try turning autonomy off (it's in the game options menu under 'gameplay') and see if that helps. It could also be partly routing glitches - see if there's objects blocking their way. If nothing else works, try pausing before getting them to do stuff - this gives the action time to load and could help a bit if you have a time limit on what they have to do.
    Hope this helps!
    banner.png
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    It's normal for TS4. I pause alot when managing multiple sims at a time. The pause/unpause key is my best friend for this game, lol!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Alas, it's normal. This is why I play with currently active sim's free will off.

The funny thing is that their attention actually last many hours, but given how fast time goes in sims...
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    PianoPlaya wrote: »
    I have played TS1 - 3, but I am new to TS4 (have only been playing for about a week). My sims just seem to have zero attention span and short-term memory loss. For example, I will tell my sim to put his/her toddler in the highchair and feed him. They will put him in the high chair, stand there for a minute, and then take him out again. There are a ton of these sorts of situations. I may even have to ask them to do something many times before they actually do it. They will often stand there for a while thinking about doing the action but then cancel it on their own.

Yesterday Santa came and I had to click "ask for present" multiple times before he did.

This sort of stuff happens a lot when they eat as well. They will take a meal out from the fridge to eat, but then cancel the action on their own and just place it down on the counter.

They also usually stand around a lot before performing an action I tell them to.

I'm wonder, is this just how the game is or is it a bug in my game? I have a great computer and otherwise the game runs fine. Absolutely zero lag even on the highest graphics settings. Load screens are like 5 seconds.

Adjust Freewill to see what your preference is. If your Sims have high free will, then they will more likely want to try to do what they want to do as oppose to what you want them to do. You can also have free will off for selected Sims.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2020
    The sims in the Sims 4 are pretty dumb. It's weird really cause personally I find these games seem to be going backwards with regards to AI and I'm by no means trying to be negative. I'm a huge fan of the Sims 4. I was playing daily until recently but the flu has stricken me down and I've been pretty much glued to my couch for the last week or so.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    edited March 2020
    I play with 'free will' on. An A.I. would be "smarter", but less human. Think about it. Personally, I have been in the middle of cooking when something else caught my attention. Like the phone, the TV, or a game like this. :p Many burned pots and incinerated meals can vouch for that. :D
    I did turn off most npc autonomy, since they were breeding like bunnies but not gaining any skills. Heh!

P.S. @Sharonia I hope you get better.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    Yeah unfortunately that happens a lot, you really have to keep an eye on sims to make sure they are actually doing what you’ve instructed them to do. They are likely to just cancel an interaction, even if it’s important like going to the bathroom with low bladder, my sims usually will cancel and go do something else like get water or do pushups. A lot of the time i will queue up an interaction and it will just immediately cancel itself which is super frustrating. Im the one in control here little sim lol
  • Options
    PianoPlayaPianoPlaya Posts: 106 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    I play with 'free will' on. An A.I. would be "smarter", but less human. Think about it. Personally, I have been in the middle of cooking when something else caught my attention. Like the phone, the TV, or a game like this. :p Many burned pots and incinerated meals can vouch for that. :D
    I did turn off most npc autonomy, since they were breeding like bunnies but not gaining any skills. Heh!

Yeah you're right, their attention span is definitely more human. I mean, yesterday all of my soup bubbled over on the stove (and wrecked the stove) because I got distracted lol. I guess i just need to get use to the more humanness of the sims :p
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Sims 4 sims are the absolute dumbest of the franchise, so what you’re experiencing is definitely normal.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2020
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

I'm often getting distracted while cooking and burning food. :D Thank you so much for the well wishes. I think I'm through the worst of it. <3
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,722 Member
    Remember I had problems with parent/toddlers, too. Like if a toddler is already seated in a highchair, and I tell a parent to feed the child, they might first take out the toddler to put it on the floor, then sit down themselves to talk (ask toddler if hungry), then put it back into highchair and bring out the food. Seems totally nuts, and I wish they fixed it, but apparently they did not. When I stopped interrupting them, it worked fine, but feeding a toddler in a highchair took "hours" so I simply avoid using highchairs. It's different from TS2 and TS3 that we can't tell from a sim's actions queue that they are in a loop of more actions that will change or be added. So, even if you tell a sim to feed the toddler, the action might say "talk" and nothing more, but when they talk the "feed" action will get added. Quite confusing and I wish all actions were queues from the start!

Luckily there are no other weird behaviors that I can think of.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited March 2020
    Unfortunately, yes. Especially when it comes to toddlers as their actions seem to get prioritised over everything else. Basically when you want an adult to do something with a toddler and its not happening or gets cancelled you have to check that the toddler doesn't have any other actions queued up and also check every other sim in the house fore actions with the toddler and cancel them if there are any

And a quick tip. When you get a toddler up to 4 or 3 movement it can open the fridge themselves and you can drag leftovers out onto the floor. Otherwise you have to get an adult to do that. They can grab stuff off counters and tables at movement 1. They cant use the get leftovers interaction though, The quickest way to boost movement seems to be the "play with them" interaction that also boosts attention and fun IIRC. I'll have to check if it boosts imagination, but I think it does. Its also fun to watch. Having the toddler click "whats this" on everything in the house (including their baby brother) boosts movement and the thinking skill but is slooow.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited March 2020
    Welcome to my world. This is how it works actually.
    giphy.gif
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    @Sharonia "The sims in the Sims 4 are pretty dumb."

That's a pretty good summation. They're perfect examples of what my dad would call "grinning idiots."

It's unfortunate that these Sims seem to have devolved compared to previous generations.
  • Options
    Winter0101Winter0101 Posts: 5 New Member
    It feels like this has gotten worse in the past week though. I have a sim in the freelancer career, IT branch, and getting them to complete a job has been a nightmare. I click on, for example ‘complete report’, they work for 10 secs and then walk away. I’ve had to repeat this about 5 times just to complete which never happened previously. The same is happening with the practice programming interaction too. It used to be that they’d carry on programming until I cancelled the interaction, now they just wander off to watch tv!