Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will we be able to send existing YA's to uni?

jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
Now, I know that nobody knows for sure but I'm seeing lots of comments saying they don't want to age their teens up yet because they want to send them to uni - so maybe you guys know something I don't? I haven't played Sims 3 Uni and I barely remember anything from Sims 2 Uni.

I really hope this isn't true otherwise I screwed up my save - all my future uni students have now been aged up to YA and waiting for college (aging off).

So this is really just speculation (perhaps it even belongs in that sub-forum) of course but I was wondering why so many posters feel that existing YA's won't be able to enroll into university.

Comments

• Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I don't see why not. The only reason I say it is because I don't have any existing YA's in my game right now, my current family has two adults, four teens & a child. It may also be for some simmers, that their YA's are already established in their careers or have children, so sending them to uni may not be conducive, or they're just looking forward to this new step in the transition from teens to adulthood, rather than just jumping right into their careers. But there really should be no reason why existing YA's or even adults & elders can't enroll, like everything else in the game, it's all down to player preference & how the new content fits their narrative.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,460 Member
    jooxis wrote: »
    I was wondering why so many posters feel that existing YA's won't be able to enroll into university.

Probably a result of how university was handled in sims 2. In that game you could only send teens to university (or create a young adult student directly). Young adults only existed as students. In sims 2 teens would age up to adult and completely skipped the young adult life stage if they did not go to university.

But as we already have young adults I expect it to work differently. I think it will be more like sims 3, where we also had a young adult life stage in the base game.
    I never played sims 3 University but I believe in that game young adults could start studying.

I actually hope not only young adults but also adults and elders can go to university. They are a minority but 'older students' exist in real life.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    In TS3, you could send any existing YA,A,E to uni. Don’t see why they would restrict this in TS4
  • Options
    jj_____jj_____ Posts: 167 Member
    edited October 2019
    I want to know this too. I think that it is possible to do that, it would be weird if not..
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    jooxis wrote: »
    I was wondering why so many posters feel that existing YA's won't be able to enroll into university.

Probably a result of how university was handled in sims 2. In that game you could only send teens to university (or create a young adult student directly). Young adults only existed as students. In sims 2 teens would age up to adult and completely skipped the young adult life stage if they did not go to university.

But as we already have young adults I expect it to work differently. I think it will be more like sims 3, where we also had a young adult life stage in the base game.
    I never played sims 3 University but I believe in that game young adults could start studying.

I actually hope not only young adults but also adults and elders can go to university. They are a minority but 'older students' exist in real life.
    This! I really hope that this time that is possible!

Edit:
    In TS3, you could send any existing YA,A,E to uni. Don’t see why they would restrict this in TS4
    I missed this message, sorry. I didn't know that it was possible in TS3, I haven't really played it. So, it's likely then that you are able to do that in TS4 too.. I really hope so!
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    It would be nice if young adults, adults, and elders could all go to university but I feel like that's something they would have advertised in the trailer.

I want to know how aging works in university. I hope aging pauses while in the university. I mean I can manually turn it off but it would be nice if time sorta just...paused.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I think for a lot of people who say that about not aging up Teens so they can go to Uni, it's not so much about the game's setup but about their stories and them wanting to stick to the traditional "going to university right after high school" or not wanting to start a direction with those Sims and then veer off course when university is available.

Like others, I hope older SIms can be students too.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,753 Member
    I am hoping it will be handled the way it was in Sims3, where no matter what age your Sim was, they could still go to uni. In fact, time stopped in the 'real' world while a Sim was in school. That way family lives weren't irrevocably disrupted because Mom and Dad decided to go back and get their degree. I was very happy. My Sims were married with toddler twin sons.

I think some are presuming they have to be YAs, only because that's when high school is over. But, I'm curious to know if some kind of graduation notice will happen, once a teen ages to YA. Don't wish to get anybody's hopes up, but wondering (on my keyboard) how this might be handled? Right now, since my Notable Newcomer (still a teen) just perished what I should do about him. I have restarted a new game save, for now, to keep me occupied whilst I wait, but knowing I may well have to restart him again once Uni hits, I'm at a loss. Previously, (and I have played him numerous times due to the cursed nature of the fellow) I had a blog wherein he confessed to his would-be bride that he left school in his Junior year, not wishing to waste time when he was already making big Simoleons singing, and writing music. He was a Global Superstar.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,113 Member
    edited October 2019

This! I loved that Sims 3 allowed sims of all ages from young adult upwards to go to university. I will be seriously disappointed if they revert back to the Sims 2 restrictions with regard to student ages. I was 26 when I decided to go to university. During the course of my BA and MA I encountered students from a range of ages, from the traditional to the retired. I might even be annoyed enough not to buy the pack this time around if they don't allow mature students. It doesn't feel right to leave them out.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I think you’d be able to send any sim who “graduated” high school with at least a C to college.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    karieebokarieebo Posts: 24 Member
    In my opinion, you should be able to send any Sim to university, as long as they're teenagers or older. I also think that there should be some requirements that will decide which uni (if we're going to get multiple ones, like in TS2) your sim can go to and if they can go to university at all.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I wonder if you send your teen to college, will they automatically age up to YA?
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they did restrict it.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    Sims 3 University was called a School of life long learning - not all Universities are considered lifelong learning schools so it is possible that this school would not allow elder but would allow YA and adults. Just to be safe I kept a bunch of teens in a save to send to Uni and turn to YA in case they do work like Sims 2 - I figure if YA and adult I can age them myself. But elders is not a guarantee in all Universities as far as i know as private Universities at least and some Ivy League schools could have restrictions.

Life Long living education only was started in the 60's and 70's as an experiment - it was never made a requirement.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sims 3 University was called a School of life long learning - not all Universities are considered lifelong learning schools so it is possible that this school would not allow elder but would allow YA and adults. Just to be safe I kept a bunch of teens in a save to send to Uni and turn to YA in case they do work like Sims 2 - I figure if YA and adult I can age them myself. But elders is not a guarantee in all Universities as far as i know as private Universities at least and some Ivy League schools could have restrictions.

Life Long living education only was started in the 60's and 70's as an experiment - it was never made a requirement.

Does that mean in your country universities can refuse students because of their age? Just curious. Here you can enroll in any form of higher education without age making a difference.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

Does that mean in your country universities can refuse students because of their age? Just curious. Here you can enroll in any form of higher education without age making a difference.

I am not sure - as i see no where that it states one way or the other. I do know private Universities can make their own rules as they get no government substities - and some things I've read suggest it needs to be a school of life long learning - but a number of those articles are 10 or more years old.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

I am not sure - as i see no where that it states one way or the other. I do know private Universities can make their own rules as they get no government substities - and some things I've read suggest it needs to be a school of life long learning - but a number of those articles are 10 or more years old.

OK. Thank you for the explanation.
    Always interesting to read how these things are handled in other countries. Here there are no exclusive private schools in that way. Not sure about universities but schools have to follow certain rules before they are recognised as schools and allowed to give degrees.

Now all we need to know is which sims are allowed to enroll in sims 4.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,600 Member
    Considering YA, A, and E life stages all share the same kind of animations; I don't see why they wouldn't able to go to college. I do imagine most of the activities w1ill be YA-centered and marketing has certainly capitalized on that, it I don't see why the other stages couldn't participate. Animations wise it shouldn't be too hard to program it, but I could very well be wrong.

I imagine what they'll do is have any degree you get help get you started further on the career path related to it and also maybe make it easier to progress.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,468 Member
    I too am hoping very much that we'll be able to send our 'mature students' (as they're called in the UK) to University.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

They still get funds through students who qualify for government loans and grants and are required to be in compliance with Federal Civil Rights laws. (Yale was sued under Title IX in a sexual harassment case, for example.)

For seniors, job discrimination is a much bigger issue, but if a university were rejecting students out of hand only because they were over a certain age, it could definitely get into trouble. (Someone has to sue, first, for it to become an issue.) In fact, many schools are trying to attract non-traditional students.

Lifelong learning really has become a requirement - in some professions, you need it to stay current with changes in the law - and it is a legal requirement for licensing. In other professions, you have to keep up with changes in technology.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Don’t care what happens in real life, this is a video game🙄
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,359 Member
    I expect YAs to be able to attend uni, but if not, there's always the option to temporarily age the sim in question down to teen with cas.fulleditmode. It wouldn't be ideal, but as a last resort I'd consider it.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    i think so are intentionally creating confusion. The inability to send existing YA from TS2 days is what prompted the change and new direction for university in TS3. I do not foresee this being an issue in TS4 either. YA-E can attend University. I wish there was a teen option for the geniuses
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I'm sure any adult (above teen) can attend college.

If it is possible to create my own "loser" Greek house, one will certainly be an elder. You need the old guy around who has been there, done that and gotten the tee shirt,
  • Options
    mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    I hope they will allow it. But I have teen sims that haven't been aged up. Just in case, I've kept their stories on hold.