Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with Strangerville .... in an established Legacy

Hi All, just wondering, am playing a legacy, currently in my 2nd generation which has now rolled to live in Strangerville. Can she live there without doing the storyline for the mystery? I was kinda hoping to complete it with her but was also wondering whether any key people needed for the story mode will be already dead as I play with aging on. I don't want to bork my game and if the story is no longer viable because of this, I will just re-roll. Any advice?

Have never completed it before and don't know what is ahead lol
2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1

Comments

• Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,026 Member
    There are no key characters - any roles needed for the story (scientists, military personal, conspiracy theorists, Curio shop owners) are given to townies. So if Erwin dies, any random NPC can take his place. No rush, no time limit.

You can live in the town without solving the mystery. You'll sometimes see people moving around strangely, and there are some glowing plants. But other than that, it's basically like any other neighborhood.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member
    Oh terrific! Thank you @Gordy that is great to know :)
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The only problem I had with waiting on Strangerville is that a couple of locations that have things you can search for clues require having people live there so you can go in, because they're classified as residential.

Fortunately, you don't need any specific clue from any specific place, they're just extra places to search.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited October 2019
    You do need to solve the mystery to make it a normal small town. If you do then it's kind of a cliche "one horse town".

As mentioned above, the game is pretty flexible about re-assigning sims. I didn't play with Erwin Pries at all. I played it with a random hero who I said moved there after college from a big city a few hours away because of the low cost of living and because she was kind of estranged from her father. I liked having a handy, logical, independent female sim who was not stereotypical. She became one of my favorite sims though that list is a little bit long.

She did find love but not until after she had saved StrangerVille. Without cheats, I did switch aging off for a while to do it.

I thought it was fun but I wouldn't blame you if you decide to roll a different world. If you insist on keeping your sims entirely in the town, they will run out of things to do quickly. I let them go to Oasis Spring where I have a diner and a bowling alley. Other than the vacation worlds, that's as far as I let them go.

I think that if all the original sims die off, the story might seem a bit different but that also doesn't really matter. It's designed to be played with any sim. I'd just pick one that likes fitness, handiness and logic.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Also, for myself, I enjoyed it but only the once. I like having the solved town in one save but I don't think I'd do it again in another.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Interesting!, thank you all so much for adding your thoughts. This is a first for me, as I've never played through it and have had it since it came out, but it's always good to get other people's perspective on things :)
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I didn't think I should open another thread, but just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed myself with this!! And... I have another question if anyone can answer, maybe @Gordy and @DaWaterRat ? I am at the end and ... want to know
    if I don't resurrect the Mother at the end, will another sim be able to come and resurrect her? I'm just thinking if I happen to roll another of that aspiration, I want to be able to play through again. Or is it that just the sim that defeated her is the only one that can resurrect her?
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Dglbr1969 wrote: »
    I didn't think I should open another thread, but just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed myself with this!! And... I have another question if anyone can answer, maybe @Gordy and @DaWaterRat ? I am at the end and ... want to know
    if I don't resurrect the Mother at the end, will another sim be able to come and resurrect her? I'm just thinking if I happen to roll another of that aspiration, I want to be able to play through again. Or is it that just the sim that defeated her is the only one that can resurrect her?
    Another Sim can resurrect her, but they'll have to get their own key card into the underground area either by requesting one (via military rank) or by finding the clues and creating a dossier.

Or you can have your current sim leave the keycard somewhere for the resurrecting sim to find it. However, if the sim you plan on resurrecting her has the keycard, they'll need to leave it some place while working on the dossier. When you have the key card in the sims possession, the clue piles for the dossier don't work.

And glad you enjoyed it. I usually play through it once per save, more if the story fits (I've done it twice this save, and may do a third... I don't know yet.)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    THank you @DaWaterRat ! Another question if you wouldn't mind?
    If I do not resurrect her just yet, does the world stay beautiful, uninfected until she is resurrected? Sorry, seems like a stupid question now that I write it, just wondering whether it's useful to resurrect her and gain the rewards? but that then the world would still be "in bloom" yes?
    Post edited by Dglbr1969 on
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    Dglbr1969 wrote: »
    THank you @DaWaterRat ! Another question if you wouldn't mind?
    If I do not resurrect her just yet, does the world stay beautiful, uninfected until she is resurrected? Sorry, seems like a stupid question now that I write it, just wondering whether it's useful to resurrect her and gain the rewards? but that then the world would still be "in bloom" yes?
    Once you resurrect her, you can pick what level of weirdness you want, anywhere from none to right when everything's gone wrong. At least I think you have a full choice, I only reset her the one time so I don't remember the menu clearly, other than resetting to the beginning of the pack - the introductory levels of weird.

And for some reason when I later ran through with a second sim intent on playing out the mystery, I had to more or less manually advance the weirdness levels, but I'm hoping that was a bug. It did work for my storyline though (the person who resurrected her basically started a cult around her, so him going to visit and inflict more weirdness on the town as a means of trying to control it made sense.)
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 961 Member
    Yes, she can live in Strangerville, but is likely sporatic involved in the story. Four households are living in the neighborhood already, and there are two vacant homes.

If you would like to solve the mystery, you might need a sim with the new aspiration which came with Strangerville. The goals for that aspiration leads you through the process.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone you have been a huge help :) I am glad I have experienced something never before in all my years of simming lol totally enjoyable playthrough, even considering starting a new game to see it from the very beginning as it was intended. :)
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1