Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Education in The Sims 5

Do you think we could get a more in-depth/better education element thus time (I a\m not talking uni that will come later) but I mean give sim kids a reason to study and do homework, for example, you need an average grade to pass a year and you do that by doing homework the more you do the better your grade you could even get a study skill that goes up the more you study so if you decide to do some extra study your study skill go up and so doe your grade likewise if you slack of you get a worse grade and can even be held back. And a graduation event would be nice as an active event. does that sound good also you do well you can start a bit higher up then you normally would.

Comments

• Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 788 Member
    I'm hoping they includea home-schooling option in Sims 5-that way I could give my Sims kids a good educagtion without having the stress and migraines of making them go to a public school and struggle with getting good grades.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member
    I want to see the real influences of one's grade/stream on the field to be pursued in future. For example, a sim must go to science stream in high school in order to study medical and work in the doctor/medical career or whatever TS5 calls it.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,357 Member
    Well, right now if you have an A student in Elementary School, you start as a B student in High School. Your final grade in High School allows you to skip one or two (B or A, respectively) ranks in your career. So it's not like School does nothing in Sims 4.

I'd actually be kinda bummed if I had to pick my Sim Teen's future career in High School. (I find it kinda ridiculous in real life too.) But I do agree that Education in Sims 5 should be better fleshed out and homework should have more impact. (I'm really bad about letting my sim kids and teens "coast" once they get to A's... on the other hand, it does give me time to get other things done.) and there should be options for school to be "work from home" (aka home schooling) And while University will probably always be it's own pack, a proto-university in the base pack, where you do have to choose a (broad and generalized) field, wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,357 Member
    Sorry to double post, but I had an idea. I'm going to use Sims 4 mechanics to explain it, since that's what I know.

What if they had 4-5 different schools each for High School and Elementary school, and there were beneficial traits and cost penalties to certain reward traits for each? And you could switch between them at certain points (most notably switching from Child to Teen and from Elementary to High School.) I'm unsure what sort of beneficial traits there might be, but I'll use Connected as my sample Reward Trait.

completely solo Home schooling would use something like the freelancer career. You decide what lessons the kid learns, you decide what skills to focus on. However, traits like connected are more expensive, because the "old boys" network isn't as, well, connected to homeschooling circles. (maybe a 50% increase in cost... which i don't remember right now.)

Then would be something that uses the Work From Home mechanic, which might represent certain specific homeschooling groups and curriculum sources. The days they were at school might represent field trips or some other group activity. Connected is still marked up, but not as much. (a 25% increase in cost.)

Public school would be the school system as it is now in TS4. Connected isn't marked up, but isn't cheaper either.

Private school would cost Simoleans, and maybe have a higher performance penalty for "slacking off". Connected is cheaper than normal, because private schools are where those in power tend to send their own kids. (A 50% reduction in cost? 33%? Something like that.)

Then maybe Boarding School. Costs lots of Simoleans. Your only chance to influence your Sim kid's development is through chance cards and on weekends/holidays - and if you make them stay for the weekend, your relationship suffers. However, they come out with several bonus traits - including connected for free.

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,761 Member
    Only if we get to have the Headmaster game from Sims 2 but with a secondary option (depending on what the parent((s)) jobs are they could pull strings for the headmaster's family members to get into X job). Oh and how about pranks for the students to play?
    6adMCGP.gif