Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What pride flag is this?

DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
This update included a surprising variety in pride flags, but there's one that I cannot find anywhere; would anyone happen to know what it is?

v5YnUwe.png

The closest I can find is the t.wink flag, but even that isn't identical.

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am gay and I do not know! I am searching around to see if I can identify it.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I believe you should search the pangender flag.

latest?cb=20190327224918
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Man, I’m really active in the LGBTQI+ community, but even I’m not familiar with that one.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I could edit, but I want to let my deep confusion stand, and the time stamp here to show how long it took an actual gay activist who is conscientiously inclusive, but regrettably white, male and old, to find out.

That seems to be a representation of the (or, anyway, a ) Pangender flag. Pangender is a non-binary gender identity used as a descriptor by persons who feel they have strong connections to roles or traits across the gender spectrum.

Now I'll edit:

THANK YOU, EA/MAXIS! Now you're teaching me! <3
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited June 2019
    Okay! Cool! They really were inclusive in this update. I'm quite glad that they included the agender and bisexual flags myself, since both of those apply to me. It's also interesting that they added three variants of lesbian flags.

Edit: I'm kind of ashamed that as an LGBTQ+ activist, I didn't recognize this one. :#
  • Options
    I need to get up to date on gender issues, because two of my sister's kids are non-binary. One is genderfluid, the other identifies as gender-queer (the youngest, with, I think, a lot to parse about both (t)he(i)r sexuality and gender). I'm the cool uncle. I am supposed to be up on all this! And, anyway, it was the youngest who got me into The Sims.

To be fair, though...! None of this is really new, and all of this is evolving all the time. It's taken nearly a hundred years since we first established clinically the distinction between sexual orientation and gender identity. And for huge swatches of history since, it's been difficult to really look at how the two intersect. My inner Old Man grumbles that it's too much to bother with, but realistically I understand it has always been complex, and it's just that we are finally discarding old certitudes enough to look at what is actually there, and try to describe it accurately, usefully, and nonjudgementally.

Now my inner Old Man wants to go sing "Age of Aquarius"! :D:D:D

Also, it's nice to have lived to see a time when it's not just a funeral march and pity party about AIDS, like it was when I was young. And when inclusiveness in gaming has roved far beyond Ms. Pac-Man, or even just "my boy Sims can kiss!" Good times. :D
  • Options
    davidagninodavidagnino Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm sad that there is no Bear Pride flag included.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,715 Member
    Just curious, why is there need for sooooo many different pride flags? Does every person need their own flag? Seems quite confusing when not even the groups recognizes the other groups' flags...

*hiding*
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Just curious, why is there need for sooooo many different pride flags? Does every person need their own flag? Seems quite confusing when not even the groups recognizes the other groups' flags...

*hiding*

So it's possible this thread will get locked just because it's over six months old, but hopefully I can provide an answer!

There are a lot of flags just because there are a lot of identities, and it's validating for people who don't fall under the 'main' ones. I'm agender - that's the answer I'd give if someone asked me what my gender was - but I also describe myself as nonbinary, genderqueer, and trans. I have friends who would use some of those, but not others. Those labels all reflect different ways of how I, personally, see my gender. Agender - I don't have a gender. Nonbinary - my gender falls outside the gender binary. Genderqueer - my gender is queer, in all senses of the word. Transgender - my gender is not the one I was assigned at birth.

Different meanings, different connotations. Different colour meanings, too! All the flags have symbolism attached to the colours used. The most often used, the trans flag, has blue for men, pink for women, and white to represent transition and to represent nonbinary people. However, the white in the nonbinary flag represents multiple gender identities, since white is the colour light makes when combined (of the other colours, black is for agender people, purple is for those with an identity somewhere in between male and female or a combination of the two, and yellow represents identities outside of the binary entirely). And in the agender flag, both black and white is used to represent a lack of gender, with grey representing demi- and semi-genders and green representing the lack of binary, since it's the opposite of purples often used to represent the combination of pink and blue.

Each one has its own meanings, basically, and each one means something to different people. Take the standard rainbow pride flag! The original flag designed by Gilbert Baker had eight colours, each with its own meaning. It was eventually changed to the six colours we see most often, mostly due to lack of availability of hot pink and cyan fabrics. And the inclusive pride flag introduced in Philadelphia in 2017 (the six usual colours, plus black and brown) was meant specifically to include POC and to address racism in the queer community. You could have three gay people who use the rainbow flag, but who would use different ones to represent their experiences and values; someone using the six-colour rainbow flag as a well-known symbol of unity, someone using the original Baker 8-colour flag to reclaim those meanings, someone using the inclusive flag to show belonging or solidarity to queer people of all races and to specifically speak against racism.

I hope this is able to give some explanation!
  • Options
    AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    I'm sad that there is no Bear Pride flag included.

Do you really think it has a place in a game like The Sims?

I consider the sub-culture to be fetish-facing and to be honest, we don't need any more tribalism in the LGBTQ+ community where it isn't needed and it certainly isn't needed in a PC game.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,715 Member
    ryttu3k wrote: »

*hiding*

So it's possible this thread will get locked just because it's over six months old, but hopefully I can provide an answer!

There are a lot of flags just because there are a lot of identities, and it's validating for people who don't fall under the 'main' ones. I'm agender - that's the answer I'd give if someone asked me what my gender was - but I also describe myself as nonbinary, genderqueer, and trans. I have friends who would use some of those, but not others. Those labels all reflect different ways of how I, personally, see my gender. Agender - I don't have a gender. Nonbinary - my gender falls outside the gender binary. Genderqueer - my gender is queer, in all senses of the word. Transgender - my gender is not the one I was assigned at birth.

Different meanings, different connotations. Different colour meanings, too! All the flags have symbolism attached to the colours used. The most often used, the trans flag, has blue for men, pink for women, and white to represent transition and to represent nonbinary people. However, the white in the nonbinary flag represents multiple gender identities, since white is the colour light makes when combined (of the other colours, black is for agender people, purple is for those with an identity somewhere in between male and female or a combination of the two, and yellow represents identities outside of the binary entirely). And in the agender flag, both black and white is used to represent a lack of gender, with grey representing demi- and semi-genders and green representing the lack of binary, since it's the opposite of purples often used to represent the combination of pink and blue.

Each one has its own meanings, basically, and each one means something to different people. Take the standard rainbow pride flag! The original flag designed by Gilbert Baker had eight colours, each with its own meaning. It was eventually changed to the six colours we see most often, mostly due to lack of availability of hot pink and cyan fabrics. And the inclusive pride flag introduced in Philadelphia in 2017 (the six usual colours, plus black and brown) was meant specifically to include POC and to address racism in the queer community. You could have three gay people who use the rainbow flag, but who would use different ones to represent their experiences and values; someone using the six-colour rainbow flag as a well-known symbol of unity, someone using the original Baker 8-colour flag to reclaim those meanings, someone using the inclusive flag to show belonging or solidarity to queer people of all races and to specifically speak against racism.

I hope this is able to give some explanation!

Thanks for explaining! I still think life doesn't need to be all this complicated. To me it's enough knowing we are all unique, not only relating to gender. I'm not a standard A4 gender reference myself (honestly doubt anyone is) but I don't feel the need of my own tag or flag, really. I'm probably just too old to bother, LOL. I rather group with and communicate with others about my interests and values than the exact kind of gender category I might fit in :)

Anyway - life goes on :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for explaining! I still think life doesn't need to be all this complicated. To me it's enough knowing we are all unique, not only relating to gender. I'm not a standard A4 gender reference myself (honestly doubt anyone is) but I don't feel the need of my own tag or flag, really. I'm probably just too old to bother, LOL. I rather group with and communicate with others about my interests and values than the exact kind of gender category I might fit in :)

Anyway - life goes on :)

No problem :) The flags are there for people to use if they want, and if they're not applicable to you or if you're not a fan, s'all good too!
  • Options
    edited February 2020

*hiding*

So kids know "this is a thing, I am not alone, I am not broken, other people are also like me". So kids don't kill themselves. That's it.

That's where all of this came from, in the first place, beginning with Magnus Hirschfeld's pioneering research in the 1890s. A hundred and thirty years later, it's still a concern.

That's why last June's content patch, which gave us this content, was a partnership with It Gets Better.
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »

*hiding*

So kids know "this is a thing, I am not alone, I am not broken, other people are also like me". So kids don't kill themselves. That's it.

That's where all of this came from, in the first place, beginning with Magnus Hirschfeld's pioneering research in the 1890s. A hundred and thirty years later, it's still a concern.

That's why last June's content patch, which gave us this content, was a partnership with It Gets Better.

Absolutely yes to this too! Representation ends isolation, its importance cannot be understated.
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    This is just a really nice and beautiful thread over all and there were a lot of quotes I wanted to highlight and agree with but couldn't pick them!

I've taken actual LGBTQ+ classes and even experts get confused... things are changing rapidly, after all! So please no one ever feel shamed, old, or out of touch for not immediately recognizing something. We're all learning and accepting in real time.
  • Options
    EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top