Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Days=Time

BigCatlover26BigCatlover26 Posts: 215 Member
I know you are probably confused about the title, but my question is what time of passage do days means to you. For example do a day mean like a 3 days or a week or something. If you doing story ideals or keeping up with ages how long are days. For me I used to say days can be symbolized as years. Since a baby lifespans on normal is 2 days I say when it ages it’s 2 years old. And same go for my other sims. Now with seasons I’m unable to find a balance on what do the days actually mean as time.

So I’m wondering for you guys what do the days mean to you as time passes. Is it just a day, a couple of days, couple of months etc.

Need input on how to arrange it in my head.

Comments

• Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    To me a day equals a day. I play with 28 days seasons so a year equals 112 days. I just pretend that sim time is different and the years are shorter. Although I wish we could have an option of more than 28 days for seasons, then I could make a year last closer 365 days. I play with aging off and age babies up after a full year in game has passed since they were born.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    especially with the addition of seasons, it really does depend both on the lengths of your seasons and your sim lifespans. a 28 day season with short lifespans would be... mayfly time, you'd have sims living their full lifespan before one year completed (if you view going through all four seasons as a year), while on the flip side, if you had 7 day seasons and long lifespans, your sims would spend many years around before dying of old age (even more if you had aging off!)

i personally play with aging off for a multitude of reasons (mostly because i have stories i want to try and tell with so many sims and it can take ages to get around to them. some are even still townies for me, but i've got ideas about them in the back of my mind). i can age them up when i feel it's appropriate and such. partially because of this, i also play with long seasons and consider one year to be a complete loop of the seasons (i tend to abstract out more than this because it's weird for each season to just be a month long and also weird for each season to be 3 compacted months...so i mostly just ignore that angle. though i lean towards the latter bit when designing holidays. each 'month' is 9 days long, which really does help when placing real world holidays)

...but since aging is off, it doesn't matter to me how many 'years' have passed. if the children haven't finished what i wanted them to do as children, they'll still be children for 20+ years (that's how it felt before seasons, too. when my original household's children were children for the first two rl years of playing the sims)
  • Options
    BigCatlover26BigCatlover26 Posts: 215 Member
    @kalaksed @Evie0602 I would definitely do what you guys do if I played with again off. I go back and forth setting the ages from normal to long. I used to play with aging off but since I have MCCC i want my sims all around me to age. I also have a legacy challenge going on which I am on my 7th generation with. So now I’m trying to figure out the ages of the grandparents and etc.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    The days are just days to me. Now with Seasons at least I can count by years; I used to estimate that an Sim adult's lifespan = about 20 years of normal human life. That meant that a young adult halfway through their young adulthood was now in their 30's. I still do estimate it like that now, I just force the calendar years on it. Basically I really don't give too much thought on it anymore.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,719 Member
    I have aging off, so a day is a day. The baby becoming a toddler is a bit weird but yeah. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: The Blackest of Birds by Fightstar
    Y2D8eAf.gif
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    A day is a day. I don't try to make sense of Sims time in terms of real-life time.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I don't connect ages to days, because the math will never work. To me, a 'year' is a full round of seasons, but that has nothing to do with my Sims' ages (especially since I play 7-day seasons - I like the variety). On a macro level, I count a day as a year in terms of age, but in terms of game play, a day is a day.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    Yeah, I'm like other people, using the 4 seasons cycle as years, even though since I'm playing at short lifespan and 28 days season, some of my sims only live for like 3 years.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,937 Member
    If you want to get totally technical minded about it, I suppose you could look at the fact it takes a Sim three Sim days to have a baby. In RL a woman is preggars for about nine months. That would make 1Day= 3 months.

Normally, I just make sure there are two Sim days between my Sim's children, to indicate a 2-3 year gap. Not accurate by any stretch to be sure, but then again making 4 Days = 1year, following the span a Sim is pregnant, can really slow down the passage of Time in a game. I play on Long as it is. I'm far too impatient to get that technical.

Hope this has helped.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Since I play with aging off, and it often takes me a day to play a sim-day (big households = much pausing), it's not difficult for me to pretend 24 sim hours = 24 real hours. I also play a 28-day season; they feel rather endless atm! Most of my 2014-era sims are still alive, though the then-teens are elders now. So while there's a fairly 1:1 relationship in terms of hours, the years have a different ratio. And not all sims live with the same simyear/realyear ratio, either. Some sims are mysteriously long-lived! :lol:
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Interesting question. Things are a bit off sometimes, so it's hard to determine what a day exactly is. For a baby, it takes 12 days in my game since it play on long life span, so a day for a year wouldn't make much sense and i also feel it is too fast for my other sims in my gameplay.
    I usually feel a week is really something to achieve a certain goal. A goal you that would take you months or a year. Every week I try to do something major for my sims like getting a love interest, change something in the house/room, a party, event, new friend, develop a proper new skill etc. I definitely do not have my sim have a crush, go on a date, get married and have a kid in just a few days. It feels waaaay to fast for me and even a week or 2 would be too short for this. So in this calculation, i think a sims day for me stand more equal to a month or so in real life. My sim can have a love interest and go on a date and maybe have a relationship in a week, so a few months for this seems ok to me in real life too.
    If i look at the lifespan and teens have like 7 weeks and YA have 12 weeks, there is enough time to do the nessecary things without me having to rush anything and it still feels all realistic. A teen could develop multiple skills, go through different life phases, have different love interests, dates, fights, make-up/break-ups with sims all in 7 weeks.
    A YA has enough time to fins someone and properly settle down or even go through some drama. They have plenty of time to date multiple sims if they are into that before finding the one. As an adult they can also still do the same things, but i usally let my YA settle down and get married already. Having kids as an adult, usually brings to early death before the kids are grown up fully. They always miss out on their grandparents in my game even is YA have kids already. There is something off there.

So, short answer: a day is roughly a month in my game (in general).
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I loosely consider one day as a year, but it doesn't make sense for a lot of things. Pregnancies would last three years, and the aging would be all messed up too. For some saves I use MCCC to make the age spans more consistent with the one day = one year thing though.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    For me, a day is one day. I do have aging off, and I make a lot of sims to represent my family. I remember when I first started playing sims 3, my youngest brother aged up and I was agitated. I recall that was before you could cheat your way into CAS.

When a person ages up in real life, their sim will also age up manually.