Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying an expansion abroad

Hello fellow simmers!
I am going to be on vacation in the U.S. when the EP releases and I was wondering, if I was able to purchase it over there at target. They have a 50% off deal for Cats and Dogs. Will I be able to use the code at home (Europe)?

Comments

• Options
    kochamkluskikochamkluski Posts: 12 New Member
    You might check the aviable languages and if yours is listed then probably yes but I'm not 100% sure. Buying dlcs abroad on origin works just fine at least inside EU but no idea how it works wit physical copies and US might have only English or at least very limited language selection.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I have my game in English, since I lived in the UK for a long time. So the language part wouldn't be a problem. :)
  • Options
    kochamkluskikochamkluski Posts: 12 New Member
    Then my guess is that it will work but I'm far from being an expert so would be safe to contact someone with more knowledge or try searching FAQs, maybe someone asked that before. There might be some regulations that make US keys be not compatible with EU but if I expansions from Finland work on potato-Polish version of the game (only Polish and Russian language to chose from) then it would make sense that only base game is unique for regions and DLCs are not restricted.
  • Options
    Thank you! I really hope it works. I really don't want to have to buy it twice. I have bought EPs in the UK and Germany without any issues, but I have no idea if that's only because they are European countries.
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    My only concern is if your region code is different then there may be a conflict. I know that there are issues with things such as DVD movies being able to be played in different regions. I'm no expert by any means but I would hold off until you hear from someone with more experience with these things! Perhaps ask in the Tech forum because they are pretty smart over there.

I hope it works for you! I am just a cautious person and would hate for you to have to buy it twice because it didn't work is all.
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    JillieLunaJillieLuna Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2017
    I feel like I've read before that US codes don't work abroad, but I may be very wrong. I would call EA or try their chat function and ask them if US codes work for European Origin accounts. Target is having a 50% off sale when the game is released?!

Edit: EA_Mage gave the correct answer below.
    Post edited by JillieLuna on
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I feel like I've read before that US codes don't work abroad, but I may be very wrong. I would call EA or try their chat function and ask them if US codes work for European Origin accounts. Target is having a 50% off sale when the game is released?!

Target and EA always have some sort of weird deal/agreement that can make it cheaper to buy EA games. I always look at Target first.
  • Options
    JillieLunaJillieLuna Posts: 1,027 Member
    @NorthDakotaGamer I've noticed that Target constantly has sales and deals. I never would've thought they'd be selling it on release day for 50% off though. Wow. That actually cracks me up
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I would ask an EA support agent about regional compatibility.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited November 2017
    Update on the coupon: it only applies to The Sims 4 base game, not the Cats and Dogs EP.

Update on the update: the cartwheel app lists only Sims 4 BG, but a representative confirmed the coupon extends to all packs sold in store.
    Post edited by drake_mccarty on
  • Options
    RetinaStormRetinaStorm Posts: 185 Member
    the cdkeys website is selling cats and dogs for cheaper than anywhere ive seen so far, tbh wish id looked there first could have saved some cash
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi all,

Just wanted to clarify something - EA game codes for PC/Mac work in all regions regardless where they are purchased.

Only difference in the codes are the languages available which do depend on the country/region the game/EP/DLC is purchased in.

-Mage
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wanted to clarify something - EA game codes for PC/Mac work in all regions regardless where they are purchased.

Only difference in the codes are the languages available which do depend on the country/region the game/EP/DLC is purchased in.

-Mage

thanks for telling us
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    @EA_Mage Thank you so much for responding! You just made my day! Hope you have a great one, too!