The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fresh install- not loading

I did a fresh install and the game will not load. It just sits there with no green in the progress bar and the circle spinning endlessly. I had to update when I did the fresh install, but did not install the optional 2nd patch that I hear is so devastating. Should I install the second patch? Is there a work around?

Comments

• Options
    carlywycherleycarlywycherley Posts: 568 Member
    edited November 2009
    When i did a reinstall when i got windows 7 I had to download all the patches including the ones i had previously had no issues with that are now giving me big ones before i could download the stuff i bought at the store so it is posssable you will need to sorry i didn't try playing it till i got all my cc in.
  • Options
    KatlinemasKatlinemas Posts: 835 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I don't know about any way past that, but I don't know if the newer patch is any better.

Have you backed up your game in a separate location?
    And did you remove your CC completely? As in actually manually delete from in the Game Launcher?

I'm not really sure what the problem is and how you can fix it, or if the patch is the right option.
  • Options
    toovivacious4utoovivacious4u Posts: 105 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I completely uninstalled the Sims 3, and completely uninstalled WA. There are no downloads or custom content as I elected the option to remove saved games. Where can I find all of the old patches, are they archived on another site? I use Windows xp.
  • Options
    OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited November 2009
    I thought it was the 1st patch giving all the problems? They came out with another one just last night. Check out news. As the 1st one gave me absolutely no problem Actually none of them have given me any problems I think I'll wait this one out lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have done a manual uninstall now for the Sims 3. I haven't found a manual uninstall for WA yet but I'm going to try to install again now that the original files have all been nuked. I saw here that my driver was TOO current and downgraded it to an older version that is supposed to work. I am going to try to add all updates before installing WA and see what happens.
  • Options
    acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited November 2009
    Patch 1.5/a.6 is one of the best patches available for any sims game, except for the error 16 thing, that isn't really problem. I recommend giving it a try, since the EA team already had a workaround for the error 16 bug.
    as for past patches, I too had never been bothered by any patches before...
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am able to load the game now. I had to do a complete manual uninstall of the base game. Instructions aren't yet up for all of the files to remove for a manual uninstall of WA but the standard uninstall seems to have worked. After uninstalling, I did a clean install. None of the updates were optional, but the game got past the page of unending spinning circles.