May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this safe to delete, if not, what do I need to do?

LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
I was testing out some CC in my game to make sure it was safe or not, anyways after I was done I deleted the sim. Now normally I know you are not suppose to delete any sim from the game because parts of files get left over. What I want to know, is it ok, if the sim in question being deleted never met anyone, would that sim be safe to delete?

Comments

• Options
    slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    If they never interacted with anyone, it should be safe.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    They never interacted with anyone, and only had them in the game for about less than about a minute of play time. This was because after I tested what I needed, I quit without saving.
  • Options
    Yeah no worries, you're safe. :)
  • Options
    FearlessButterflyFearlessButterfly Posts: 336 Member
    edited December 2016
    @LaBlue0314 @slynnski Actually no that is not safe. Makes no difference if the sim knew anyone or not. Once you delete a sim all their data is shredded and then it attaches itself to random sims. So you might find that a toddler will all of a sudden start getting wants to woohoo or a pet could think its a sim. Once you have deleted a sim your neighbourhood is corrupted no matter what and only if you had a backup before you deleted it can you save the hood. The corruption might not start straight away you can maybe get a few months or so out of it. Please read these pages on corruption to better understand http://modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=4971830&postcount=4 and also the page on these essential mods to help stop corruption http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532696
  • Options
    @FearlessButterfly S/he quit without saving. The sim was never moved into the neighborhood. There's no way for character data to attach to other sims in the hood if the sim in question was, you know, never in the hood to begin with.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    slynnski wrote: »
    @FearlessButterfly S/he quit without saving. The sim was never moved into the neighborhood. There's no way for character data to attach to other sims in the hood if the sim in question was, you know, never in the hood to begin with.

The Sim still has data that isn't properly deleted. The corruption likely won't spread as fast given that there are no memories associated with it.

And the corruption may not get to the point where it's a hindrance until she's bored of the neighborhood and moves on.

I majorly corrupted a neighborhood:

Deleted several Sims. Placed occupied lots. Placed previously occupied but not cleaned lots that I had downloaded off of the Exchange.

The first time it went belly up was a generation later. Heavy corruption of several Sims, didn't make it unplayable mechanically, but I did go back to a previous save. YA's aren't supposed to have the Grow Up aspiration (the Sims I deleted were adults, no children or younger were deleted).

The second time it went belly up was 6 generations later. And that was a year or so later.

It's a funny thing about corruption and why it was so hard to get players to believe it was true. Because there is no set time between the neighborhood getting corrupt and when symptoms started showing, let alone prevented players from playing their neighborhood.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It was just one Sim and no memories were generated. The chances of the corruption spreading fast are pretty low.

I would take frequent back ups and keep at least two or three just in case it does go belly up quickly.

There are ways to safely "move" Sims from one neighborhood to another. Move in quotes since you don't really move them - you recreate them via SimPE, Body Shop, and CAS. And that can be done once corruption starts showing itself and LaBlue can decide then if she's still wanting to play those Sims still or not.
  • Options
    @Seera1024 Thank you for your explanation of things.

Don't the premade hoods come with corruption already in them?

I feel like corruption in Sims 2 is just one of those things you have to live with if you want to play the game. Sims 3 is laggy, slow, and glitched to high heaven when played vanilla. Sims 2 has corruption. :D

*disclaimer: I am not saying anyone should go out and purposefully corrupt their hoods/games. ;)
  • Options

I feel like corruption in Sims 2 is just one of those things you have to live with if you want to play the game. Sims 3 is laggy, slow, and glitched to high heaven when played vanilla. Sims 2 has corruption. :D

*disclaimer: I am not saying anyone should go out and purposefully corrupt their hoods/games. ;)

I've heard that the premade neighborhoods do and it wouldn't surprise me if they did. EA did ship out Seasons with the Ottomas in a state that would corrupt any neighborhood if they were played past Samantha giving birth.

I've never been a huge fan of the premades so I've never played any of the premade neighborhoods long enough or often enough to see any signs of corruption. So I can't say with 100% certainty.

What makes me angry is once players started finding the reasons for the corruption, that EA didn't go in and patch those out. At least the easy ones. Removing deleteallcharacters cheat (they removed the censor blur cheat, so it's not impossible to remove cheats), removing the trash can in the Sim bin, not allowing occupied lots to be put into the lots bin, etc. Or even coming out and saying that they messed up and these things will corrupt your game. Samantha Ottomas likely wouldn't have gotten fixed if it hadn't had things like dogs or Brandi Broke listed as the father of the twins.

One should try to avoid corrupting their neighborhoods as much as humanly possible. But if you goof up and do one of those, it's not cause for huge immediate panic. Especially if you know you're the type to get bored of a neighborhood within 2-3 generations. If you're wanting to do a legacy and you do it within the first couple of generations, then it would be worrisome because the longer you go the more likely it is that you'll see signs and that those signs will start interfering with game play. But if you take frequent back ups and/or don't mind restarting a Sim with no skills should things go sideways, then it's not a reason to immediately throw in the towel, especially if you're on the 2nd or 3rd generation. I'd heavily consider restarting a neighborhood if I had corrupted it before the next generation was even born.

And there are ways in SimPE to fix relationships and skills, but those are more advanced features of SimPE.
  • Options
    @Seera1024 I completely agree. EA definitely should have patched it up as much as possible. Especially for players who aren't even aware that corruption exists. I was one of them, until last year. Corruption does not bother me as much as it once did. Either game or hood corruption, it's an easy fix. And I am not one who minds starting over from time to time, even if it's a family I have been playing for a while. Obviously not everyone feels the same way I do, so it's good to get the facts straight.

I do know that the Ultimate Collection fixed the Ottomas pregnancy. But as for everything else, error on the side of caution.
  • Options
    @Seera1024 I completely agree. EA definitely should have patched it up as much as possible. Especially for players who aren't even aware that corruption exists. I was one of them, until last year. Corruption does not bother me as much as it once did. Either game or hood corruption, it's an easy fix. And I am not one who minds starting over from time to time, even if it's a family I have been playing for a while. Obviously not everyone feels the same way I do, so it's good to get the facts straight.

I do know that the Ultimate Collection fixed the Ottomas pregnancy. But as for everything else, error on the side of caution.

The UC came fully patched and they fixed that in the Seasons patch. That corruption cause is the only corruption I think they fixed.
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

The UC came fully patched and they fixed that in the Seasons patch. That corruption cause is the only corruption I think they fixed.

Yeah, I think you're right on that one. All of the other corruption causes are still present, unfortunately. It's too bad they didn't have the foresight to fix the others before they released UC.

• Options
    RSully94RSully94 Posts: 212 Member
    SO the Ottomas family is safe to play? I don't have to kill off Samantha?
  • Options
    RSully94 wrote: »
    SO the Ottomas family is safe to play? I don't have to kill off Samantha?

Depends. They patched in a correction, but it only affects neighborhoods created after the Seasons patch is installed. The Ultimate Collection comes fully patched.

Any neighborhood created after patching the disc version of Seasons or installing the Ultimate Collection has a Samantha Ottomas that is fine to have her proceed to giving birth.

If you are unpatched and playing the disc version of Seasons or playing in a neighborhood created BEFORE patching or BEFORE switching over to the Ultimate Collection, then Samantha Ottomas is not safe to let her have birth.
  • Options
    RSully94RSully94 Posts: 212 Member
    Ok. I've have the Ultimate Collection since it came out in 2014. So Samantha should be safe then.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    edited February 2017
    Seera1024 wrote: »

I've heard that the premade neighborhoods do and it wouldn't surprise me if they did. EA did ship out Seasons with the Ottomas in a state that would corrupt any neighborhood if they were played past Samantha giving birth.

I've never been a huge fan of the premades so I've never played any of the premade neighborhoods long enough or often enough to see any signs of corruption. So I can't say with 100% certainty.

What makes me angry is once players started finding the reasons for the corruption, that EA didn't go in and patch those out. At least the easy ones. Removing deleteallcharacters cheat (they removed the censor blur cheat, so it's not impossible to remove cheats), removing the trash can in the Sim bin, not allowing occupied lots to be put into the lots bin, etc. Or even coming out and saying that they messed up and these things will corrupt your game. Samantha Ottomas likely wouldn't have gotten fixed if it hadn't had things like dogs or Brandi Broke listed as the father of the twins.

One should try to avoid corrupting their neighborhoods as much as humanly possible. But if you goof up and do one of those, it's not cause for huge immediate panic. Especially if you know you're the type to get bored of a neighborhood within 2-3 generations. If you're wanting to do a legacy and you do it within the first couple of generations, then it would be worrisome because the longer you go the more likely it is that you'll see signs and that those signs will start interfering with game play. But if you take frequent back ups and/or don't mind restarting a Sim with no skills should things go sideways, then it's not a reason to immediately throw in the towel, especially if you're on the 2nd or 3rd generation. I'd heavily consider restarting a neighborhood if I had corrupted it before the next generation was even born.

And there are ways in SimPE to fix relationships and skills, but those are more advanced features of SimPE.

Seconding: Samantha should be ok to give birth if you have her give birth on the original lot you plunk her down on after taking her out of the sim bin. I haven't tried moving her between lots while still pregnant, but since I am 99% certain I can trace the corruption of my original riverblossom hills to moving a (separate) sim while pregnant, and one of the original pleasantview glitches has to do with Brandi Broke's pregnancy, I'm going to state that you should avoid moving sims into new lots while pregnant.

If you don't want to cheat you could always inventory or delete all woohooable surfaces and play them another 24 hours to make sure nobody is pregnant during the move.

Also, if you want to play any EA neighborhoods, especially the original 3, in any serious way, I recommend Mootilda's clean neighborhoods. She basically went in and recreated all the characters and fixed their relationships, but because she didn't use borked ways to rid neighborhoods of canonically dead sims, there should be no shredded dead sim files floating around.

(TBH I think the primary causes of EA's original neighborhood corruption was the use of the boolprop "death token," and missing gravestones for dead sims.)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Anyone know why this game (TS2) is so easily corrupted? Is it due to poor programming back then? I've always been curious.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    PhoenixArrandePhoenixArrande Posts: 106 Member
    Believe me when I say I'm just finding out about all of this and i've been playing TS2 and deleting Sims since 2005! It's no wonder I had problems out of the UC too! But yeah unless you are okay with downloading mods you pretty much can't delete any sims at all if they were ever at any point in the Sim Bin. Even if you never actually got in game with them. Someone please tell me if these same things apply to TS3 and TS4 (I'm really hoping they don't)......
  • Options
    PhoenixArrandePhoenixArrande Posts: 106 Member
    @Rflong7 Lol!!! Okay I'm a little relieved but, I've had experience with this culling you speak of. Not too impressed with that flaw either..... I hope they get it right eventually (and not at the expense of something that's already working properly).
  • Options
    Marnetti wrote: »
    Anyone know why this game (TS2) is so easily corrupted? Is it due to poor programming back then? I've always been curious.

According to browsing MATY, it's because they kept tacking new stuff on and overhauling the game engine with every new expansion pack. A bunch of original glitches (truly frightening stuff from the original three neighborhoods, the move occupied lots thing,) were never caught or corrected because there wasn't enough playtesting of the original game in the first place. Some things are because no one ever thought to test "what if you bulldozed a lot that still has a gravestone on it?" after they programmed the game so that the sim files have to be tied to a game "object," and it's either the sim or their gravestone/urn. Other issues are from interactions being allowed with NPC's that don't have full character files that would change something in the character file (a vampire biting Crumplebottom, for example,) which lead to everything going kablooey.

And that's just vanilla stuff that isn't from poorly programmed memories. (Like automatically meeting the bartender causing you to meet yourself, causing memory implosion...) Or seemingly harmless stuff like getting abducted off the dance sphere, but the player not noticing and deleting the dance sphere, which could be a problem.

(Also considering the issues with sims 3 corruptions and EA flat out selling blank discs to people in boxes and forcing them to use Origin to obtain what they'd rightfully bought... they still find ways to break things.)
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,142 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    They never interacted with anyone, and only had them in the game for about less than about a minute of play time. This was because after I tested what I needed, I quit without saving.

In the future, you should make a dummy hood for that. : )
  • Options

Or just use a premade neighborhood you're not attached to (and don't delete them, just leave them lying around.) All my new mods got tested in Belladonna Cove.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,142 Member

Or just use a premade neighborhood you're not attached to (and don't delete them, just leave them lying around.) All my new mods got tested in Belladonna Cove.

Yeah, any hood can be a dummy hood and you're right there's no need to delete in a dummy hood :+1: That said, opening up a Maxis hood creates wasted space with pre-made character files and lot files. If you start out with an empty lot with no mods, then to the best of my knowledge, only 30 townies are generated and there are no lot files. If it's open already and you don't care about it, then yeah, you're spot on.
  • Options

Yeah, any hood can be a dummy hood and you're right there's no need to delete in a dummy hood :+1: That said, opening up a Maxis hood creates wasted space with pre-made character files and lot files. If you start out with an empty lot with no mods, then to the best of my knowledge, only 30 townies are generated and there are no lot files. If it's open already and you don't care about it, then yeah, you're spot on.

Yeah, it depends on what sort of mods you want to test. If you're trying to test something that needs a lot of pre-existing sims (as potential customers for a business, for example,) pop open a maxis neighborhood. (If you want to actually play one I recommend downloading a cleaned template for the one you want.) If you want to test something that doesn't require all that, a clean flat boring new hood is probably best.