The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do they even pack in the CD?

I just received my physical copy in the mail (excitement is bleeding out of me :D ) But why even pack the CD? I got physical because I found it on sale and I like pretty boxes. But I didn't even put in the CD and its downloading. I feel like it could make the EPs slightly cheaper if they just left out the CD. if even the cd is 20 cents, that could drop the price of packaging because it would only require a little slip and we still get our pretty box. Just a random question to post while I wait for download, but I do really want to know.
eqnxTFN.jpg
I love video games because of the things that I could never do in real life... For instance, in the sims you can get a job and a house.
Origin ID: Mainmanvs100

Comments

• Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I have the CD too, but I am positive it downloaded the entire game. Maybe they just put the CD in there to keep us happy. :)
    But like you, I do have the pretty box to look at :D
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    Some people like having the option of a physical disc.
  • Options
    MarianneSimmerMarianneSimmer Posts: 1,113 Member
    I just received my physical copy in the mail (excitement is bleeding out of me :D ) But why even pack the CD? I got physical because I found it on sale and I like pretty boxes. But I didn't even put in the CD and its downloading. I feel like it could make the EPs slightly cheaper if they just left out the CD. if even the cd is 20 cents, that could drop the price of packaging because it would only require a little slip and we still get our pretty box. Just a random question to post while I wait for download, but I do really want to know.

That is a fair assessment.
  • Options
    AceofSpades2231AceofSpades2231 Posts: 594 Member
    Well its done downloading and im done with dinner! Who cares about homework. Grades arnt nearly important when work needs to be done ;)
    eqnxTFN.jpg
    I love video games because of the things that I could never do in real life... For instance, in the sims you can get a job and a house.
  • Options
    LynnKatSnowLynnKatSnow Posts: 18 New Member
    People with no internet connection/metered internet might be able to install via disc instead of downloading. :]
  • Options
    siminscsiminsc Posts: 854 Member
    I saved $10. getting the disc at Best Buy.
  • Options
    siminsc wrote: »
    me too
    eqnxTFN.jpg
  • Options
    hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited April 2015
    I love ease of download, but my *shelf full of Sims 1, 2, and 3 look..soo... lonely. lol
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    siminsc wrote: »

So did I. But in my experience, it wouldn't let me install from the disc because I had the digital version of the base game. I had to use the code to download from Origin. Kept telling me that I needed to update my game, first.
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    edited April 2015
    I had no problems what so ever installing off of the disc. Apparently this feat is a rare occurrence!

And I managed to get a $14 discount at Target (in Australia)! Woo!!! I love price matching :smiley:

Glad that you got the game in the end though! Haha! I wonder what the big problem is???

Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    Kamio wrote: »
    I had no problems what so ever installing off of the disc. Apparently this feat is a rare occurrence!

And I managed to get a $14 discount at Target (in Australia)! Woo!!! I love price matching :smiley:

Glad that you got the game in the end though! Haha! I wonder what the big problem is???

Oh good, I am glad you got it from Target, I did too!

With the installing/download thingy, I put the CD in, and it started doing its stuff, entered the code etc etc. I was watching it and it had the Internet connection speed showing and everything, so it was actually downloading from the Internet, it even said downloading. I'm sure that didn't happen with the base game though. It's like the CD in this pack is just decoration. :)
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mondain38Mondain38 Posts: 235 Member

That's strange... for ME, the computer DID copy "Get to Work" from the CD to the hard drive. How could I tell?

1. My DVD drive was spinning during the copying process; and
    2. Origin said: "Copying The Sims 4: Get to Work" and not "Downloading The Sims 4: Get to Work".

• Options
    SkulltecSkulltec Posts: 474 Member
    I don't even have a CD drive in my PC but i do like to have the CD that makes the collection feel better
  • Options
    Mondain38 wrote: »

That's strange... for ME, the computer DID copy "Get to Work" from the CD to the hard drive. How could I tell?

1. My DVD drive was spinning during the copying process; and
    2. Origin said: "Copying The Sims 4: Get to Work" and not "Downloading The Sims 4: Get to Work".

Hmm I gues you can put in the cd. The instruction thing just said to punch in the code, I didn't even put in the disk.

eqnxTFN.jpg
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 644 Member
    I had the same issue, I did put in the disk but the game downloaded through Origin instead of installing off the CD...I am definitely switching to digital downloads only
    Check out my Youtube channel where I create life simulation gaming videos including content about the Sims 4! MellowGamerChick YT
  • Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Tried to install it via the disc. Got an error message. Reloaded the disc. The game proceeded to download and install via Origin because I had already used the code.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    Now, because we have to have an Origin account either way, whether we do physical or digital copies, it just downloads it. That's my assumption anyway. I just got the digital version.
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    I installed from the disc. It says copying instead of downloading. It was really quick too!!! 2 minutes and it was ready to go!!!

I was crazy shocked! Here I am getting set up with a drink and snacks ready to wait out the half hour install I'm used to from sims EPs and yeah...
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    Kamio wrote: »
    I installed from the disc. It says copying instead of downloading. It was really quick too!!! 2 minutes and it was ready to go!!!

I was crazy shocked! Here I am getting set up with a drink and snacks ready to wait out the half hour install I'm used to from sims EPs and yeah...

It took 30 mins for me :/ Next EP I am definitely going to try to force it to install from the disc.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    so how do you force install it from the disc? That will be helpful for future EPs.
    eqnxTFN.jpg
  • Options
    so how do you force install it from the disc? That will be helpful for future EPs.

I don't know how to actually do it, but I think if you google it there is a way to work around it. I am going to try that next time.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    I bought the physical copy as I no longer trust Origin after having my account hacked.
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

If you navigate to the "my computer" folder and find your disk drive you can open up its contents and double click "setup.exe". This will open Origin and start the installation from the disk.