The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

De-Activate Holidays

So, I have the sims 3 Seasons {And all the other Expansion/Stuff - Packs} Installed and I love it. The weather is amazing and I even bought a new pc to enjoy the seasons in amazing graphics without lag.

BUT! The holidays witch happens every thursday Is so annoying. I get that they're supposed to be a nice day off to do fun stuff, but the festivals is available all year so theres not much to do at these days except going trick or treat. What I would love to use these days for is WORKING! My sim isn't really wealthy and her Lifetime-Wish is career related. She has five days of work a week but every week i lose one of them.

What has been my option is to choose one season to play and turn all the other off, then turn it up to 28 InGame days. That way, the holidays only come every fourth week. But then i lose the seasons. How can I play with seasons without holidays?

BTW! The reason I can't turn 'em all up to 28 is that my sims economy relies a lot on gardening and her apartment isn't big enough to farm inside.

Oh and, if there's no way... How 'bout changing the day of the holiday to Wednesday? As they get further up in the career, that's the day they're most commonly to get off anyway. Or just to the weekend.

Please help me figuring out this problem, as I would love to play with the seasons but doesn't have the money to. Thanx.

-Marlene

Comments

• Options
    JBAG521JBAG521 Posts: 2,783 Member
    edited February 2014
    I changed mine around a bit. My current sim is a Day Carer and she only works Mon-Thurs and the Holidays are always on Thursdays. I lengthened Summer by another 5 days and shortened winter and lengthened Fall and Spring as well. Play with the Season sliders and see where you get with that first. Ive just had Spooky Day on a Friday, which suited me fine :)
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited February 2014
    I am bookmarking this. I hope you get an answer. I would also like to get rid of them. My teens keep missing their after school activities because of field trips and holidays.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited February 2014
    I've got my seasons set for 15 days each and it gives enough time for them to get things done like building a house on their empty lot in Oak Leaf before fall and winter set in.I've got Winfield into winter and have two households I switch between there and story progression is set to allow that without messing up one while I play with the other.It will make a few changes on it's own like make them gain skills and get promoted on the job even when I'm not playing them.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    peno11peno11 Posts: 192 Member
    edited February 2014
    I believe the holidays are set to always be on workdays, never on weekends. The only options for you is to either try to set the seasons' lengths for holidays to fall on more fitting day for your playing. Or you may try NRaas Tempest which has some advanced settings for weather and holidays. With that mod you may deactivate holidays at all or you may set that your Sims have to work on a certain holidays. You may also set separately for work and school. With it I have all holiday as free school days but only Snowflake day and Leisure day for free work days.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited February 2014
    The holidays can come on weekends, it happens in my game regularly. It all depends on how you set up your season lengths. I have each season set to 9 days, just to make the holiday more variable. I thought I read somewhere that the holiday was a certain number of days from the end of the season (3?) but I can't find that anywhere so don't quote me on that.

Back when I had 7 day seasons and one of my households was in early winter, I was able to move the holiday by playing around with the winter length. I just went into options, moved the winter length slider by a day, went back into the game, noted the change in the holiday, went back into options and moved the slider differently, etc. If you do this systematically, you might be able to figure out a pattern that could help you set up a year so holidays land on weekends.

Another suggestion for your case: you can try varying the season lengths and still keep a 28 day year. Set Winter to 4 days and Spring, Summer, and Fall to 8 days. That's still 28 days total but the holiday won't be so predictable. This isn't a real solution for you, but it might move the holidays to a weekend occasionally.

If your sim is really into gardening, you might want to look at NRaas Tempest mod. You can set the temperature range of each season with this mod. I set Spring and Fall to have a minimum temperature above freezing just so my sims (whose sole source of income was gardening) could actually garden most of the year. The mod is actually more flexible than that, you could configure it to be more variable, I just haven't bothered to set it up more than to eliminate freezing temps outside of winter.
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2014
    peno11 wrote:
    I believe the holidays are set to always be on workdays, never on weekends. The only options for you is to either try to set the seasons' lengths for holidays to fall on more fitting day for your playing. Or you may try NRaas Tempest which has some advanced settings for weather and holidays. With that mod you may deactivate holidays at all or you may set that your Sims have to work on a certain holidays. You may also set separately for work and school. With it I have all holiday as free school days but only Snowflake day and Leisure day for free work days.

You can set the lengths of weeks to have holidays on weekends. I can't remember exactly how I did it though.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I know already as surprisingly, I just experienced it myself. I still remember reading somewhere that if the holiday should be on weekend, it will instead be on Friday, but obviously, that's not true.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited February 2014
    peno11 wrote:
    Yeah, I know already as surprisingly, I just experienced it myself. I still remember reading somewhere that if the holiday should be on weekend, it will instead be on Friday, but obviously, that's not true.

The Sims 3 Wiki (http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_3:_Seasons) says: "All holidays take place on the last Friday of every season. If there is no Friday nearby, then they will take place on the last day of the season. " But that's not true in my game because on default settings the holidays are always on a Thursday.

I didn't know you could turn them off with Tempest. That's good to know.
  • Options
    FryeGuy24FryeGuy24 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited February 2014
    My holidays are always on Thursdays because I always start the season on Sunday with 14-day seasons, which means that at least the holidays aren't every single week. But I too would love an option to not have any day off at all, so I'll have to check out Tempest. Thanks for the tip! I knew about it's weather/temperature abilities but didn't know it could disable holidays. So that would be a nice change.

Besides, some sims still don't get the day off. My mummy firefighter still has to watch for emergencies on holidays, my showtime performers still get called in to do impromptu performances, and my super spy still gets paged in for extra shifts. So it's not like an entire household can relax and enjoy the day off anyway.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I want to apologize. While Tempest has ability to delete holidays altogether (just set the day for holiday to zero), the ability to set days off from work and school is in StoryProgression. It seems I have the NRaas mods mixed up.