Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

how many bookshelves do you have?

I have so many darn bookshelves all over my Sim house. There is one in every bedroom and all over the house. In the living room, in the study, in the hallyway!! Everywhere!! lol. I mean, I put them there for decoration purposes and to fill up a bedroom with "stuff", but my Sims are reading all over the place when at times i wish they were doing other things with their free will. So I have to ask, is your Sim house full of bookshelves? how many?

Comments

• Options
    PEACHES327PEACHES327 Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited December 2013
    I have between 1-3 I don't usually have one for every room because the autonomous reading leaves books scattered everywhere in clogs up sims' inventories. So, to minimize this I keep the bookshelf count low.

There are other decorations you can put in a house besides bookshelves.... Also, sending your sims to the library to read works wonders. ;)
    Please Visit My Sims 3 & 4 Blog! studiopeaches.blogspot.com
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,108 Member
    edited December 2013
    would love some ideas that may be i'm not thinking of to decorate and fill my Sims bedroom. Sometimes beside a bed, dresser, mirror, and some paintings it seems pretty boring. i'm not the best interior designer. lol
  • Options
    JassieteacakeJassieteacake Posts: 237 Member
    edited December 2013
    I've got 3! My sims will never read of their own accord though. They're always making a beeline to the pool. Drives me nuts!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited December 2013
    Hi :D

I usually have only one or two bookcases in the living room or in a study. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited December 2013
    I like lots of plants in my sims' houses. I'll cluster 3 or 4 in a corner. And I always put the most expensive paintings in the rooms, so I don't need so many of them to get the decorated moodlets. Also, the more expensive furniture and light fixtures will add to the environmental factor for decor. Be sure to check the environment numbers when you choose items, and go for the highest your sims can afford. When they have more money, you can sell the cheaper ones to make room.

If you want decor for your own visual enjoyment, there are lots of small items in the miscellaneous decor section that can make your sims' house more homey looking. I like to put a row of counters along one wall of the bathroom, if it's large enough then put the pepperpot sink in one, and place the hair dryer, styling tools, and maybe a vase of flowers or a mood light candle on the other counters. There's also a linen cabinet and a towel stand for the bathroom.

There are lots of items for other rooms in the house too. I like to put my favorite table lamps on my favorite end tables on either side of a double bed, then put the oil lamp on the dresser, and maybe that little fern cage, or the vase of dogwood blossoms that came with a recent SP purchase. There's a pile of magazines for a living room coffee table, stacks of books for a student's room, a messy stack and a neat one, and there's a very nice china cabinet for the dining room, though I think that was also from a SP, so you may not find it. I like to add lots of flowers and greenery around the outside of the house too.

I don't have my sims on high free will, so I don't have the issue with them reading all the time and leaving books all over. But I still don't have a lot of bookcases in the house. If my family has a big enough house, I might put a bookcase and desk in each of the children's rooms, otherwise, there's usually only one or two in the whole house.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,108 Member
    edited December 2013
    I have like an olympic size swimming pool on my lot and NONE of my Sims ever go in there. They always want to read!

Irene thanks for the advice!!
  • Options
    JBAG521JBAG521 Posts: 2,783 Member
    edited December 2013
    Lol! My sims dont have a pool....yet!

I usually only have ONE bookshelf in the study because they all read from their MultiTab6000's. Love that thing!

I get where youre coming from though. If youre not opposed to custom content, there are shelves at mod the sims that you can use to put all sorts of stuff on.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited December 2013
    There are display shelves in the game already, too. They're in sort by function/type, whatever it is, rather than by room. Then under surfaces, I think under either miscellaneous or display, not sure, & my game isn't open right now. I like to get them for my sim kids to put all their field trip souvenirs and after school club trophies on, as well as any gems they might find and keep. I suppose you could put insects on them too, and maybe even the fishbowls. But there are also lots of decor items you can get in buy mode that will go on them.
  • Options
    Dragonrose69Dragonrose69 Posts: 748 Member
    edited December 2013
    I use bookshelves as decoration all the time, recently started removing books from them so they are just decorative, only books I usually leave is skilling books. Alas, those are not usually books I ever see a sim autonomously reading.
  • Options
    AyaMayAyaMay Posts: 91 New Member
    edited December 2013
    There are a few standing cabinets in the game that I use to decorate. I usually do a bookshelf in the study, and then in the kids' bedrooms. I take all the books out and fill them with skill books - so if the child likes to bake in the toy oven, I'll fill his or her bookshelf full of recipes for when he/she gets old enough to read them. I try to categorize which bookshelves are for which skills.

If I need extra decor, I like to use those long end tables that came with Supernatural. They look really nice with a bust or a plant on them.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited December 2013
    Sometimes I don't have any and just use the multi-tab for reading but it can be almost as annoying as the autonomous book reading.

When I do use a bookshelf I remove all the books that aren't a skill or a recipe. All the other books go into family inventory. I figure if those little suckers are going to whip out a book at the drop of a hat they should be learning something.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited December 2013
    normally one in the study and one in the living room but my sims use the multi-tab one, only my bookworm ever go to the bookcase or wish for a better bookcase.
  • Options
    kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited December 2013
    Usually I only have one or two bookshelves in a house. But I'm playing with Michael Dandy in Roaring Heights and he has a fancy library room in his house with five bookcases in it. I put the fancy marble chess board in there, and it is the favorite room in the house. Even the butler likes to go in there and read when she has nothing to do.
  • Options
    ohhjulietohhjuliet Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited December 2013
    I always used to have a ton… now I keep it to one or two… I do love how they look here and there though, so that's not always easy :)
  • Options
    JaylinaJaylina Posts: 256 Member
    edited December 2013
    I only like to have between 1 or 2. Some sims tend to be messy and leave the books lying around the house or carry all the books they own inside their knapsack.

If your ok with custom content, then maybe you should go shopping at thesimsresource(downloads are free). They have a ton of shelves, decorations, "clutter" items to fill the house besides other things. It's like the WalMart for the sims world lol. I love that place.