Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The most timeless expansion pack for the Sims

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
I really enjoyed this video. Loved the breakdown and analysis of everything this EP got right and why it matters. I agree with Kirce: Studio Town feels timeless yet current. Do you have any memories playing Sims Superstar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOHTSHzSeWw
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

Comments

• Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    I'm just playing The Sims 1 again lately and I recently found out Kirce's channel, really refreshing content!

I'm not playing Superstar (yet), but I agree that Studio Town (and all the Sims 1 community lots) are timeless and just fun to play.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    Jane22Jane22 Posts: 9 New Member
    I've been watching Kirce's videos for a while, I agree they are so refreshing and she has such a love for the first game which makes me happy. Superstar was one of my favorite expansion packs, I remember the first time I played it. I remember being amazed by the two "moods" of Studio Town, the modern and the classic Art Deco style, and the way they're mirrored by the two styles of music in the soundtrack, depending on whether you visit Studio Town with a sim, or build a lot there.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    edited April 16
    For me, it's Hot Date. It utterly changed the game: before, Sims were limited to their houses, and the player was limited to a single neighborhood. Hot Date not only created a different world for players to go -- enabling all the expansions that followed -- but it allowed Sims TO GO there. And not only that, but it added stuff like inventory and shopping: before, all Sims wore the same exact pajamas, the same exact swimsuits, the same exact wedding costumes. Sure, a savvy player could change what skin was used for those pajamas (by giving skins certain filenames that overrode the default), but now sims could go to a store and buy new pajamas! I don't think any Simmer who didn't grow up with the original pre-HD base game can appreciate its impact. Livin' Large and House Party just added items, but Hot Date truly EXPANDED the game, and packs like Vacation were just variations of that. Hot Date's only rival would be The Sims 2: Seasons.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Not thought of HD that way before but you're right. That one pack changed not only TS1 but the trajectory of all that followed. Come to think of it, HD had the best dating mechanics. TS2 had a timer so you were focused on button pushing, not a meaningful experience. Not done any dating with either 3 or 4 to speak of.