Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nothing For These National Celebrations?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
I waited to see if Maxis would be inclusive and add or mention National Women's History Month and or National Disability Awareness month. Both were in March. I didn't see any mention in TS4 nor any content for these two groups. Maybe I missed something.

March has come and gone, so have the specific dates for both of these without any fanfare to the best of my knowledge. When we say inclusive Maxis, what does that mean to Maxis? I'm not sure it means others outside of what they already do. :/
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,930 Member
    No content but they did acknowledge both events.

For National Disability Awareness month:

Over a billion people in the world have a disability. EA’s Accessibility Team aims to lessen the gap between capability and disability by breaking down barriers that prevent play. We support efforts within EA to make our games and services more accessible to players of all abilities and believe that each one of us has the power to make a difference in the lives of others.

For National Women's History month:

They were both posted in my Sims On Social Media thread.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/994626/the-sims-on-social-media/p1
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    As I said, nothing I guess. That's EA and it's program to help those who have a challenge play their games with better ways of innovation to help them. EA isn't Maxis and their motto of inclusiveness in The Sims 4. Other groups were represented some more than others but nothing concerning these. Disappointing to see inclusiveness doesn't mean the same thing to some of us who are looking to see if they broaden that scope and stop being so exclusive to a few. Hopefully, they will do better in the future, maybe, next year when March rolls around. Or maybe something in Oct. for the disabled.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I would have to agree with you OP. Some events will cause new items to be added in-game like shirts, hairstyles, objects, etc and some events will apparently only result in tweets.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Better yet, something tangible, like a percentage of their mind-boggling profits going to help those that need it. The millions of victims of a certain current tragedy in Europe come to mind.
  • Options
    Better yet, something tangible, like a percentage of their mind-boggling profits going to help those that need it. The millions of victims of a certain current tragedy in Europe come to mind.

I was strictly speaking of content for these groups in TS4. I'm sure EA donates. I was speaking about the lack of representation when these months roll around, they have a second chance this Oct. for the disabled but it's not the same event type as the one that past in March.

March was about those who have or had challenges and still made huge contributions to society and history. Women's history month was about the same thing, not just in the USA. But we didn't see any content to celebrate these groups.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    We got the tattoo drop in March with the art from female tattoo artists. It seemed like the announcements for that were timed to coincide with International Women’s Day. There was also the Inspirational Mentor scenario that requires female sims. They could do better with tying these to the month’s they’re celebrating, but these felt particularly targeted toward March.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    Sims 4 is awesome at being inclusive. No need to worry about lack of that!
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2022
    Typically I dont pay attention to companies supporting any "national X month", but I do feel some way when I feel like the attention is not evenly distributed. They are inclusive to what they want to be inclusive to. I hope they can branch out and be welcoming to many walks of life and experiences. I do think they are trying as far as some peoples heritages and I hope they continue.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I have been asking for YEARS for content to be released for people with disabilities. I am a disabled gamer and this is exactly what I was hoping would be added to the game but other players don't want content for people with disabilities so I feel they are listening to the majority.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    HavenRose wrote: »
    We got the tattoo drop in March with the art from female tattoo artists. It seemed like the announcements for that were timed to coincide with International Women’s Day. There was also the Inspirational Mentor scenario that requires female sims. They could do better with tying these to the month’s they’re celebrating, but these felt particularly targeted toward March.

How does this represent women and or the disabled in TS4 if the Sim doesn't know what any of that means? Let me try to explain better. Players who have requested content for particular groups get that content. Such as better skin tones (which were badly needed) so they could play themselves and or at least represented by imagery. Players who wanted gender neutral content are getting some things implemented but it will take a lot of work to change all the text popups and things like that in the game. So they can feel represented in the game when they read those text popups. Players who wanted same sex marriage and more LGBTQ premade Sims in the game got their content implemented in way that they can see themselves in gameplay and in imagery.

Women of history didn't get any reference to their heroes who made way for the modern day woman of today. Maybe a small statue of a Sim woman added to the game with a big announcement about it might have been more in line with how Maxis has handled other releases concerning other groups.

Tatoos created by female artists says nothing about women's history and it seems there wasn't even any fanfare about it anyway like at other times when they release content and do whole articles about it and make announcements about other things here on the forums. Not just some interview some miss and or over on twitter.

The disabled don't get any type of content nor any type of fanfare announcements. Black History month passed with the site here barely remembering to post the new content, as matter of fact if I recall correctly, it was a forgotten thing to do and remembered the next day to make the announcement of the content they were adding. But had nothing to do with Black History month in the United States- African American community.

As you can see, I'm very disappointed in Maxis, because when it comes to actually fanfare about something, the actual content and or the actual reason to do something, it's usually not as inclusive and or as celebrated as other items and or groups. It bothers me to think inclusive doesn't mean everyone and everything. And I won't even mention those who feel ostracized because of their faith representation so poorly done if at all. I'm pointing out the lack of representation of content in the game. Not if Maxis asks a particular artist or clothes designer to add content they created. That's all good and fine but I'm strictly speaking of the content of why people want representation, and they get very little, and it all seems to flow in one direction if at all.

For me personally, I'm not into having to have every culture and or real-life situation in a game, however, if Maxis is going to carry that as the motto they really should take a hard look at what the actual customer sees.

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,215 Member
    I have been asking for YEARS for content to be released for people with disabilities. I am a disabled gamer and this is exactly what I was hoping would be added to the game but other players don't want content for people with disabilities so I feel they are listening to the majority.

I wish we have things we add to our sims .Like I have autism and Adhd.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Each to their own but personally I'd rather they focus their time on fixing bugs and adding new packs rather than having an update for every holiday every year
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I appreciate any new items or fun gameplay that celebrates any holiday, so I'm definitely not upset about anything they have done or not done, but I do agree with the OP that their inclusion policy is kind of all over the place. I think they should sit down in January and just plot out the whole year of holidays they want to do something special for. And to avoid creating animosity, they should try to treat all the holidays equally, and also be more broad in their scope. Remember that Canada is just next door and only got one maple bacon pizza in the game. Canada Day is July 1 in case anyone is wondering, just a few months away. :wink:

I think the inclusion should be fun and make people happy and excited to learn things from all over the world and from history. I didn't expect anything for women's history, but I wouldn't say that tattoos or a time-limited scenario represented that well in comparison to almost an entire kit's worth of product for other groups, but don't get me wrong, it was nice to receive those and I enjoyed them. The scenarios are not really very popular and this one is a time limited one and not everyone puts tattoos on Sims, so I was surprised they chose that to celebrate women.

I'm personally really happy that they are trying to do this. I think what I would appreciate a lot would be a new, interesting premade household with an inspiring and fun life story that is engaging and informative to play with, a new food dish, a new painting or deco object. I would prefer something small, simple and permanent like that. I love the idea of celebrating with artists, but I would choose a painting or decoration object that everyone can enjoy. Who doesn't appreciate a small decorative potted plant? I just got a little orchid in a pot yesterday from someone and it made my whole month.
  • Options
    This is also National Arab History Month, celebrating heritage and contributions to America. I assume we won't be getting any content representation about that, either.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Probably not. I remember the firestorm that broke out the last time they tried that. Not pretty.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Happy Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage month!

May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month; a time for recognizing the contributions and influence of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders to the history, culture, and achievement of the United States.

https://dimebags.com/blogs/dime-bags/what-is-aapi-heritage-month

Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options
    Happy Juneteenth!

Juneteenth is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

SDX Coming on 6/23.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18132847#Comment_18132847
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Happy Juneteenth!

Juneteenth is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

SDX Coming on 6/23.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18132847#Comment_18132847

Thanks for posting this news. I saw your thread. That's great. I was going to let this thread pass as I think I had stated my point. I'm glad Maxis heard some requests. But disabled children are still waiting. Faith players are still waiting. And I don't think they have added anything for the Latino community celebration since 2020. I could be wrong about that one. But one community gets updates often, not saying they shouldn't but we all can see the differences made between groups who lobby Maxis/EA and those who don't or not so much.

The rest of us out here still feel that Maxis has their favorites.

Thanks Maxis for the Juneteenth updates.

Maxis, I hope in the future when you do add garb and headdresses and or whatever it may be you would take a page from MS games that have text with the object, clothing etc. of why peoples use or wear and the reasons why. Their origins, and what it is used for and or why a person would wear a piece of clothing and why it was a tradition. A little education with the object or clothing or activity, could bring more value to why you install updates instead of some out here just thinking things are fashion and or decor.