Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

50 bucks for an expansion pack really!

I was expecting it to be 40$ and I am on a limited budget right now! like I did not expect 50$ for an expansion pack! like what gives( and yes i know you will all say do not buy it or wait for it to come on sale or whatever but i mean its an expansion pack! like for real i have never seen an expansion pack be 50$ at least for the sims! is anyone else at the very least concerned or annoyed at this! whats next 20$ for stuff packs.

Comments

• Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    I was expecting it to be 40$ and I am on a limited budget right now! like I did not expect 50$ for an expansion pack! like what gives( and yes i know you will all say do not buy it or wait for it to come on sale or whatever but i mean its an expansion pack! like for real i have never seen an expansion pack be 50$ at least for the sims! is anyone else at the very least concerned or annoyed at this! whats next 20$ for stuff packs.

Not sure what country your in but its been like this for a while now in other country's other then the US.
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »

Not sure what country your in but its been like this for a while now in other country's other then the US.

really cuz this is the first expansion pack i have bought that is 50$ i mean cats and dogs was 40$(i am from canada)
  • Options
    AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    Pricing changed to 'mostly' reflect current currency exchanges with USD to other currency's I think in December? Or January. Something like that. Maybe a little later. At this moment 40 USD is 53.18 CAD. While I think a little more care should be made by companies to price not only by exchange but also by buying power (since for some countries exchange rates alone make things astronomical in cost) that's where the change is coming from.
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    sqh8vt.png
    The price before was cheap. But now its pretty much the same amount we pay in the US.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

really cuz this is the first expansion pack i have bought that is 50$ i mean cats and dogs was 40$(i am from canada)

Yea it went up after cats and dogs. I just brought mine for $35 cad.

[removed unauthorized retailer - EA_Leeloo]
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Yea it went up after cats and dogs. I just brought mine for $35 cad.

[removed unauthorized retailer - EA_Leeloo]

i did not know it was up but even so that is a bit over priced for an expansion pack.
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • Options
    Akil wrote: »
    Pricing changed to 'mostly' reflect current currency exchanges with USD to other currency's I think in December? Or January. Something like that. Maybe a little later. At this moment 40 USD is 53.18 CAD. While I think a little more care should be made by companies to price not only by exchange but also by buying power (since for some countries exchange rates alone make things astronomical in cost) that's where the change is coming from.

honestly i think that is a bit much for an expansion pack in general.
  • Options
    tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited June 2018
    I live in Canada too and I bought it. Sorry, but you have to live with it if you want to keep playing games. Prices for games across all platforms (PC, console) have gone up steadily for years now, and it's not stopping anytime soon. Surely you've noticed. 3DS games in particular used to be 34.99 roughly, then it went up to 40, then 45. Now they're 49.99. Vita games are close to 60 now. PC AAA games are now 80, from 60. Switch games are really expensive in Canada. Complaining about prices going up isn't going to do anything.

Just don't buy new games. Wait til they go on sale or something. I don't buy much games now because of it, unless I really want it. I'd pay full price for Witcher 3, for example.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,401 Member

I paid only $40.
  • Options
    tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited June 2018

I paid only $40.

Not everyone lives in the US, you know. It's annoying when everyone assumes I live in the US and everytime I say X game costs this much, lots of people reply with "that's not the right price. It should cost this much." >_>
    Post edited by tobumon on
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member

Price differences definitely will vary from country to country and EA has no control over the currency exchange. Best to buy the game elsewhere for a cheaper price or wait for a sale.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Simgurl20Simgurl20 Posts: 162 Member
    It's ridiculous the price in Canada, $51.99 and plus tax would be near $60. I was lucky enough to order seasons from cdkeys where it was $36.59, and through an error I got trying to purchase the first time, they gave me a code for $9.19 off, in total I ended up paying $27.40 which I think is a really good price. Other than this I would be waiting for a sale in about 3-4 months time to get seasons half price.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    It's worth every penny I paid for it and then some. ;)
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Simgurl20 wrote: »
    It's ridiculous the price in Canada, $51.99 and plus tax would be near $60. I was lucky enough to order seasons from cdkeys where it was $36.59, and through an error I got trying to purchase the first time, they gave me a code for $9.19 off, in total I ended up paying $27.40 which I think is a really good price. Other than this I would be waiting for a sale in about 3-4 months time to get seasons half price.

Every time I go to CDkeys the price is more?
    You can bundle the pack and it's about $65 but that is an expansion, stuff and game pack

I am still hoping that it will be on sale for 50% off in July. That is what happened to Cats & Dogs.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    verlainem wrote: »
    Simgurl20 wrote: »

Every time I go to CDkeys the price is more?
    You can bundle the pack and it's about $65 but that is an expansion, stuff and game pack

I am still hoping that it will be on sale for 50% off in July. That is what happened to Cats & Dogs.

Cdkeys changes their pricing and after it releases it is generally more expensive than it was for presale. After awhile once excitement wears off it will go back down to a cheaper price. Just keep checking back and buy when it's at an acceptable price to you.

Yes. EA can help it's pricing lol people acting like they have no control over it is the weirdest thing I've ever heard people believe. They can charge whatever they want. They chose to price it higher outside of the US, it had nothing to do with exchange rates. Just greed.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Yes, that’s how much EPs cost in Canada now. It is expensive. Had this been literally any other expansion, I would have waited for a 50% off sale. But this is Seasons and I’m not prepared to wait any longer for it, so I’ve paid full price. The best I can do is suggest you wait for a sale if you feel the price is beyond your reach right now. It’s a great Expansion, so it was worth it for me, but I bought Cats and Dogs at 50% off and will probably do the same for future EPs
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Expansion packs are pretty over priced, yeah
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    Akil wrote: »

honestly i think that is a bit much for an expansion pack in general.

If you go to EB games its still $39.99 there just in case you do what to get it.
  • Options
    marksgirl2006marksgirl2006 Posts: 87 Member
    Just wanted to add l am in Canada too,and paid the price asked with no qualms. It's Seasons my favorite pack and worth every dollar to me.
  • Options
    ActuallySammyActuallySammy Posts: 299 Member
    I live in Canada and also thought that 50$ is way to much so i bought it from CD Keys.
    Origin id: ActuallySammy
    If you want to respond to me please make sure to @ me.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    That is the basic price for new games in general (I paid more then than that for other other games before. The price for everything has gone up). That is nothing new. Either wait for when the price drops or look for sales. Sometimes you can get it cheaper during a sale. I got it cheaper as for awhile CDkeys had a sale for pre-orders though the price slowly started going up.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    In Canada and have been conscious for years that with the difference in the $US taken into account, they were paying $40 in the US for EPs and we were paying the equivalent of US$30 (which is what $40 Canadian was). Now we're paying the same price once currency is accounted for. Basically, we were saving money on EPs for years. This change was going to come eventually - it was just a matter of time before someone at Origin noticed that Canadians weren't paying in $US like we do on so many other software sites.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.