Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is culling still a thing?

I havnt played for a long time, I got so disheartened by the culling that destroyed my family that I just gave up.

I hope that its been resolved, is it still a thing? or is culling a thing of the past?

Comments

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Mildly tweaked, but still a thing.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    that's sad then but thanks for the answer
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    I know its not the same as EA fixing it but if your not totally against mod then MC command centre is a great tweak to the game (similar to Nrass for sims 3. I literally couldn't play 3 with-ought it. The game would bug out and crash XD). Its really easy to install and allows for family trees to be kept intact (this tree has a further 3 gens on it now!)

tumblr_nw5ynw2pWh1tlsj96o2_1280.png

They did tweak culing a little in the recent patch and also told us they have a dedicated team specifically working on it. Which means they have been taking note of what the community wants. Unlike modders who can go in and completely take the culling cap off if they wish (which is essentially what you can do with mc command centre and can lead to making your game slow. I just keep culling off for the family ghosts so my trees look good) EA is trying to find a balance between having culling fixed but not allowing an infinite number of sims to be created in your game which could easily cause stuttering and lag on lower end machines. At-least this is what i assume they are trying to do given what they wrote in the recent patch notes!
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    Ive been able to catch up on some recent postings and I'm less than impressed with the outcome of the tweaking. Raising the limit from 180 to 210 is a drop in the ocean and barely scratches the issue. The problem is that each EP adds a whole new raft of npcs. Yes they have looked at ways to minimise the problem and I appreciate that the devs are looking at the issue but the basic problem is that the game engine cannot cope.

What I cannot understand is why on earth they thought this was a good idea to start with, its mind boggling that EA thought this was a good thing.

It needs a whole new version of Sims to overcome the issues. In the meantime they should let us decide if we want culling on or off, and if its off then its at our own peril. I want to be able to make this decision for myself and I want EA to give me this option.

In the meantime, Ive been looking at MC Command. I was a huge fan of Twallens mods and badly miss them, and this does look like an alternative. Ive downloaded the files and they seem to be taking effect as there are MC commands now available but I'm going to have to get to grips with it. Hopefully it will do the job.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited December 2015
    It's so easy to avoid if you house your sims and do a nightly cleansing of the unplayed bin.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    My family trees have not seen culling yet since the patch. I'm sure it's still there, but I don't know how many generations it will take for me to run into it now. I haven't seen any feedback from players who are actually testing it, yet, though. I'm on generation 5 and no swiss cheese yet in my family tree (usually I'd see it as early as Gen 3 if I was playing rotationally before). Definitely an improvement, but I don't know where it will degenerate yet (got side tracked playing GT). I will update if/when I run into it, though, as the dev team does need and want feedback regarding culling after the patch!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    The Culling Mechanism still exists in The Sims 4, however, it has been tweaked, the maximum population limit has been increased from 180 to 210 Sims per Save, also, the generation of Townie Sims has also been tweaked. It is still something that Maxis is looking at and future solutions are probable.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.