Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My battle with the repo man and almost lost a whole city...

During my construction of the "Holo-sim-ulator Research Facility", I neglected to pay the bills and the repo man appeared, attempting to claim my carefully placed moveobjects items. Since my lot has no floors on some areas, re-placing the repo items requires several levels of columns and moveobjects true, in order just to place a lost object; in short, a pain in the....

I had just saved just moments before the lot status changed to a repo lot, so I quickly quit and moved the family out of the lot, saving both the family and lot independantly to the simsfolder; leaving the now repo house empty.

I placed the newly saved lot to another location and created a new family to finish the lot; thinking nothing of the deserted lot that I left behind.

After my upload yesterday night of my lot, I started cleaning up my city (copies of my lot are strewn all over; usually a half dozen to a dozen copies. To my surprise I noticed that someone had moved into my lot without my consent.

ladyinhouse.jpg

and the repo truck was parked out in front...
repotruck.jpg

and this sim simply stood there with no interaction menu available at all; it was the repo man.
reproman.jpg

Intrigued, I decided to save and play this family.... expanding the family to 12 members using the testcheatenabled on and "add to family", I discovered to my horror, that I
- could not edit the town,
- could not move my family out,
- could not go into buy mode
- could not change family

when your lot has been flagged for repo..

I was stuck.

I tried to trigger the repo man using testingcheatsenabled but the repo man was already there and not doing anything.

Then I remembered what we use to do to sims in Sims 2.... in order to empty out the lot; we killed them.... :P

Using the testingcheatsenabled, I triggered the age switch for each sim until they all die of old age, except one.

Another glitch appeared on the last sim and it seemed that I was now playing a ghost. I could point at objects and have him interact with the objects, including getting a job; but I couldn't see him in order to trigger his age.

Thankfully after a few saves and sim baths, I saw glimspes of him appearing after a bath. I quickly moved in with my camera.... to shift click on the feet to find to my relief that the age trigger was available. After aging to an elder status, he became fully visible.... and I was able to age him the final step.... thus ridding the whole house of my test sim family.

I won....

moral of the story?

pay your bills!!!

Ralphael%20Creations%202_zpsiovmt0hx.jpg

Comments

• Options
    LightSideLightSide Posts: 1,264 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hey Ralph.

I am glad you won.
    And thank you for the moral.

But did you try to "re-set" that sim.
    That would have taken them back to there homes.

• Options
    RalphaelNinjaRalphaelNinja Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited August 2009
    LightSide wrote:
    Hey Ralph.

I am glad you won.
    And thank you for the moral.

But did you try to "re-set" that sim.
    That would have taken them back to there homes.

heh... I looked at that command, but wasn't quite sure on who to use it on :P aaahh... now that I thought of it, the repo man actually had a name.... could have used it on him.... :P

We encounter the strangest things in this game....
  • Options
    CaliforniaBoundCaliforniaBound Posts: 676 New Member
    edited August 2009
    That was nothing short of hilarious! I love it when stories have a good moral.
  • Options
    AsanteAsante Posts: 1,812 Member
    edited August 2009
    Oh my god, am I glad I always pay my bills... *laugh*
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So I after saving my city last night, I haven't been back to it till just now.... to finish cleaning up all my strewn lots.

Under edit town mode, I found my repo lot still there, dark and uninhabited until I click on buy/build to enter it....

A msg pops up saying that I could not buy or build during a repo.... and I found the repo man still standing there.

repoman.jpg

apparently once I am in this lot, it thinks that I am still playing the game. The pause and fast forward buttons works.

So thinking back on the suggestion by Lightside, I resetsim "repo man's name of which I have forgotten already", and voila!!!! the repo man and his truck disappears from the lot. The lot goes dark, time stops and build mode lines appears (just like the twilight zone).

soooo.... if you are stuck.... try resetsim <simname> (thanks lightside)
  • Options
    AsanteAsante Posts: 1,812 Member
    edited August 2009
    Hmmmm did you just discover an exploit for how to avoid paying bills and getting stuff taken away by the repoman? Just wait for him to arrive and reset him? :P
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Asante wrote:
    Hmmmm did you just discover an exploit for how to avoid paying bills and getting stuff taken away by the repoman? Just wait for him to arrive and reset him? :P

I may have just indeed... discover an exploit for avoiding paying bills :P resetsim is now my prefered method of getting rid of unwanted visitors
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    thought I bring this story back up to the front :P buried on page 2,883