Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Launch Theory: How The New Careers Tried to Replace Old Ones

EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,940 Member
This is the theory I have been thinking for so long, so I thought I share it here.

So, we know that when the game launched, the following full-time careers were in the game:
  • Astronaut
  • Criminal
  • Culinary
  • Entertainer
  • Painter
  • Secret Agent
  • Tech Guru
  • Writer

Let's look back at what were the base game careers in the previous games (list long, so it's under spoilers):
The Sims 1:
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Law Enforcement
  • Life of Crime
  • Medicine
  • Politics
  • Pro Athlete
  • Science
  • "X-treme Career"

The Sims 2:
  • Athletic
  • Business
  • Criminal
  • Culinary
  • Law Enforcement
  • Medicine
  • Military
  • Politics
  • Science
  • Slacker

The Sims 3:
  • Business
  • Criminal
  • Culinary
  • Journalism
  • Law Enforcement
  • Medical
  • Military
  • Music
  • Political
  • Professional Sports
  • Science

Looking at the branches of the careers that are in The Sims 4 since launch, I can't help but feel like these are the "modernized" versions of the old careers. Here's how I feel:
  • Astronaut tries to replace the Military career. The reason is simple: in the previous games, one level (usually 9, 10 in TS3) is named Astronaut, which even includes the astronaut suit. In addition, one of the Astronaut career branches is being a space officer.
  • Criminal career is Criminal career...
  • Culinary career is Culinary career...
  • Entertainer is trying to replace Music career from The Sims 3 and Entertainment career in The Sims 1. Yet one branch focuses on comedy and the other focuses on classical music.
  • Painter career is something that has appeared in The Sims 2 University (as Artist career) and one of the branches is like the career in The Sims 3 University Life (art appraiser).
  • Secret Agent is a strange one. It tries to replace Law Enforcement career, yet one of the branches tries to replace the Criminal career. Yet there is such a career in the base game.
  • Tech Guru is an interesting one. Two of its branches try to replace two careers: Athlete (E-Sports Competitor) and business (Start-Up Entrepeneur).
  • Writer career replaces journalist career, especially with one of its branches.

This does leave out the following careers unfortunately:
  • Medicine
  • Science
  • Politics
  • The unique ones (Slacker and X-treme)
Yet many others is attempted to be replaced with the new careers. As the time has gone on and fans have given feedback, more have been added with updates (Business, Athlete, Style Influencer) and DLC (Doctor, Scientist, Politician).

What do you think? Do you also think that the launch careers feel like "modernized" version of the older careers or not?

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,398 Member
    I don't think they tried to replace them, but just sort of give some modern alternatives that fit with the game elements they could provide in base game, especially as some jobs came later in the EPs. Secret agent is basically CIA, so they could be anything while doing their job. Also, technically speaking astronaut doesn't replace military career, because there are two types of astronauts, scientists and those who actually fly the rockets are usually fighter jet pilots. In TS4 rocket science goes with the scientist career and there is military career that came with Strangerville pack but it doesn't involve rockets as far as I know.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    edited November 2022
    The sims 4 adds careers with a lot of packs, Also the Sims 4 has freelance Careers, part time careers, and odd jobs ( like in Sulani ). Not to mention my favorite, active careers. To top all of that off you don’t even need an actual career to earn money in the Sims 4 because you can make money doing so many things. And, there is a way to customize your career if you do make money doing other things rather than zipping off to work.

I think the launch careers are careers mostly included in the other sims games because they are ones that most people would miss if they weren’t included, they added the Business and Athletic career quite soon after launch. I believe they added pools and ghost after launch too. I don’t think they had time to finish Sims 4 before they launched it because they radically changed it after they had problems with another game.