Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gallery censoring Yoruba names

SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
edited November 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I wanted to name my sim "Adelola Titilayo" and when I went to save my sim to my library it gave me the warning that the name contains a disallowed word. I can always look up more Yoruba names for her, but I think the gallery could use an update to the censoring system because there's nothing close to any profanity in this name. It's unfortunate that a cultural name is getting blocked like that.

Edit: I have found the location/survey thing for reporting names to be uncensored! This thread can be closed/locked/deleted!
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2023
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    I wanted to name my sim "Adelola Titilayo" and when I went to save my sim to my library it gave me the warning that the name contains a disallowed word. I can always look up more Yoruba names for her, but I think the gallery could use an update to the censoring system because there's nothing close to any profanity in this name. It's unfortunate that a cultural name is getting blocked like that.

Edit: I have found the location/survey thing for reporting names to be uncensored! This thread can be closed/locked/deleted!

The first 3 letters of the second name would be the censored one I believe! It's the name of a bird. like a Great ... but also a slang word usually used in the plural for a pair of ....! or an alternative, as in don't be a silly ... ! English slang. o:)

Maybe they could get round this by us putting the name in quotation marks "... " and them ignoring these in the game or something like that, that makes it clear that it's a real name?
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    Seems like a pretty bad censorship thing if it does not allow that.

I guess the names Tito, Titus and Titania would not be allowed either then.

I'll never understand the extreme pearl clutching of the USA. Especially not in a game where you literally have a body slider for the very thing they are so aggressively censoring here.
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    This is a very unusual level of pearl-clutching for the USA. After all, it would prevent discussion of the Constitution.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    it really needs an update. I simply wrote " great place for your sims to grab a drink or a bite to eat!" and it said it contained a not allowed word, so I deleted "drink" and then it uploaded lol.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    In the Dutch version the word 'to' ('naar') isn't allowed. Limiting a preposition is very annoying for descriptions. Writing in a gallery upload that a sim moved to a new house is not allowed in the Dutch version of the rings game. This is especially annoying because the sims team doesn't bother to follow their own rules when writing lot descriptions for lots shipped with the game. I stopped trying to find any logic in the censoring ever since.

@Sheepiling is there a list with words that should be allowed? Can you give a link to it? I would like to add to that list.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Hi. There's a post here for reporting remaining issues that the new system isn't catching: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/The-Sims-4-Gallery-Profanity-Filter-Feedback/m-p/13149020#M79674
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    rhalius wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty bad censorship thing if it does not allow that.

I guess the names Tito, Titus and Titania would not be allowed either then.

I'll never understand the extreme pearl clutching of the USA. Especially not in a game where you literally have a body slider for the very thing they are so aggressively censoring here.

Oh yea, you're right. And EA even made Titania in Sims 2 as an iconic premade townie themselves, but her name probably is censored too.

And honestly, with this game being rated teen, I don't really see the need for the censor to be as strong as it is. This isn't Toon Town. I'd only understand catering to parents that ask for filters like this in games if it was a rated E game, made for children to enjoy. I know a lot of us played The Sims when we were young children, but that's entirely the parent's choice to buy a game not rated E and give it to their children. Heck, my Dad let me play GTA when I was a kid.

I think this may be more of a thing for them wanting to cater to foreign market's standards without landing themselves as an 18+ game. 'Cuz USA isn't THIS extreme with censoring, unless it's the rare extreme parent that doesn't even let their kids read fantasy novels.
  • Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    In the Dutch version the word 'to' ('naar') isn't allowed. Limiting a preposition is very annoying for descriptions. Writing in a gallery upload that a sim moved to a new house is not allowed in the Dutch version of the rings game. This is especially annoying because the sims team doesn't bother to follow their own rules when writing lot descriptions for lots shipped with the game. I stopped trying to find any logic in the censoring ever since.

@Sheepiling is there a list with words that should be allowed? Can you give a link to it? I would like to add to that list.

luthienrising shared the link already where you can report names to request them to be uncensored!
    Hi. There's a post here for reporting remaining issues that the new system isn't catching: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/The-Sims-4-Gallery-Profanity-Filter-Feedback/m-p/13149020#M79674

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top