Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ranch Hands Need Improvement

pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
edited August 2023 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
What do you all think of ranch hands? Here is a list of things I think are either broken with them or by design but it's bad design, in my opinion:

1. Every day you have to reset the tasks. It seems to me that if you choose, say, don't garden, that should stick until you decide to change it. But it resets to having them do everything every single day.
2. They do house cleaning and you can't even turn it off. In my opinion, this is not a ranch hand's job! Instead of taking care of the animals they're in the house doing the laundry or mopping the floors.
3. Their schedule gets screwed up if you go off the lot with a Sim. It seems that they have to be on your lot a total of 12 hours while you are playing the lot, so if you leave it at some point, the ranch hand stays way past 7 pm, which messes up the amount you're charged when they leave.
4. And number 3 often leads to number 4: Every so often they don't show up and you have to rehire them. This always happens to me the day after I've been off the lot with a household member.

As for the work they actually do, they are very good at socializing with the animals. They're a little lazy about cleaning, it seems they'll never clean a horse bed when it's "slightly dirty" and that often leads to my Sims having to be told to clean it at "very dirty" in the middle of the night.

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I completely agree with you! I’ve taken to just using door locks for everything, the ranch hand is currently locked out of my Sim’s house & garden. I just use the ranch hand for keeping the chickens, cow, goats, and sheep happy, my Sim handles the horses & garden on her own mostly. I was able to solve most of the issues this way, but haven’t figured out a trick to the “leaving the lot” problem yet.
  • Options
    LindaD2015LindaD2015 Posts: 141 Member
    My problem is that it doesn't matter whether my sim is on the lot or not the lady ranch hand will show up for 2 or 3 days then never return. I have to rehire and unfortunately I get the same hand back. I'm hoping that the modder who created farm hands for cottage living would perhaps do some adjustments to either their mod or to the games in house ranch hands. Other than that the ranch hand took care of the critters, kept the garden and repaired stuff but cleaning? That wasn't apparently in the job description unless it was valuable horse fertilizer then it was quickly put it in the trash before anyone notices.
  • Options
    Rowan2222Rowan2222 Posts: 2 New Member
    Personally I would like it if my ranch hands would stop making 2-3 cakes every day lol. They also will cook other food that then gets left on the counter to rot but the cake thing is super annoying.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    pearlbh wrote: »
    4. And number 3 often leads to number 4: Every so often they don't show up and you have to rehire them. This always happens to me the day after I've been off the lot with a household member.

I think my rancher sim is going to need a ranch hand soon, so I hope EA fix this soon, or a modder comes to our rescue.
  • Options
    Rowan2222Rowan2222 Posts: 2 New Member
    I would like them to stop baking cakes!!
  • Options
    Rowan2222 wrote: »

It's funny that mine don't do that, or cook at all. Just the laundry, and coming in to wash their hands, but I can't really complain about that considering what their job is. They also do the dishes, and mop the floor. But I've never had one cook.
  • Options
    When the ranch hand needs to be rehired, does the same one come back or are they different?
  • Options
    When the ranch hand needs to be rehired, does the same one come back or are they different?

Always the same one for me.
  • Options
    pearlbh wrote: »

Always the same one for me.

Thank you. :)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Rowan2222 wrote: »

If you have Eco Living, check if the Foodies Unite N.A.P. is in effect in the neighborhood. It can cause that.
  • Options
    I hired my ranch hand, and he would spend time cleaning animals that were already clean, and leaving the horse beds and chicken coop dirty. He was a very good gardener though. He has now moved in with my sim anyway.
  • Options
    KylamitiKylamiti Posts: 2 New Member
    #1 is just a dumb programming error. Clearing out the 'Gardening' and 'Repairing' should remain set until changed.
    We can hire Gardeners and Repairers, why is this even part of Ranch Hand? Programmatically, this should just be a flag set when you click the control, and the NPC 'reads' that in the morning. Either the flag isn't preserved, or it isn't being read when the server tries to spawn them @7am.
    #2 My hands either want to make destressing concoctions or bake white cakes. I have stuffed my grill and refrigerator in my inventory to try to prevent this. The idea that Foodies Unite makes NPC uncontrollably bake cakes in my house is Silly.
    3# is annoying, but I don't care much about the extra few hours at 12 per.
    #4 has happened a few times
    #5 When Ranch hands garden, they take your harvest. I did NOT fertilize Perfect Apples for this idiot to steal them. Mitigation: Have them move the picked stuff to an inventory i.e. refrigerator, flower bench etc. My garden produces almost 10K simoleons per day, I don't want it stolen.

Can we keep the Ranch hands in the field or barn, following the instructions given? I am 'paying' for this schmuck to wander around on my property taking pictures of flowers rather than clean my sheep or horsebeds. If the chores they were hired for were performed, it wouldn't be so bad, but the dumb stuff they are doing is covered by others.
    I can't even lock them out individually, you can only do that for household members. II can Unlock for Rach Hand, but Not Set the Lock.