Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please help me with advice

mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
edited July 2023 in Off Topic Chat
Hi there simmers.

I am very sad, my alienware 15 R4 is on its way out, it freezes constantly. I had big issues with it last year when windows insisted for me to upgrade to windows 11, it said it was safe and prompted me several times during usage. I did and then had constant blue screens, I contacted dell and they were very helpful and helped me to factory reset it and use a usb to install windows 10 onto it. It has been prompting for windows 11 since, but I just ignore it now, because dell said it is not compatible for it. Anyways fast forward a year, it is constantly freezing, with no warning it will just freeze on me and I have to force shut down. (no blue screen just freezing) I contacted dell but they said my laptop parts has been discontinued and they won't even service it. I think it is about 6 years old now could be 7 not sure. Anyways I just need advice, links would be appreciated even more. I live in New Zealand, most of computer shopping is done at JB hifi, PB tech, Noel Leeming and Harvey norman. Could someone please recommend a new laptop for me, I own all of the sims 4 expansion, game, stuff packs and kits. I have no idea what the minimum specs will have to be. I have a very limited budget this time as my daughter started University this year and we had to buy her a car. My son said that sims is not as demanding as other type games so does not specifically require a gaming laptop a normal one with good specs will work as well. Could you guys please help me with advice on what to start saving for <3

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,954 Member
    What's your budget? I've always used Dell computers, specifically Alienware, but this last time I went with a Dell G15. I started with a G16 and discovered it didn't have a number pad. I'm sending that one back and the ,G15 should be here tomorrow.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited July 2023
    I'm so sorry to hear about your laptop troubles. That really stinks.

@puzzlezaddict over at Answers HQ can help:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en

They are super friendly and helpful when it comes to helping others shop for a new computer on a budget. I'm not so sure they visit this forum anymore but I still see them on Answers HQ.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    What's your budget? I've always used Dell computers, specifically Alienware, but this last time I went with a Dell G15. I started with a G16 and discovered it didn't have a number pad. I'm sending that one back and the ,G15 should be here tomorrow.

It will probably be $1500 maximum $2000 but preferably lower than maximum :) I will google Dell G15 and see what comes up for us here ;)

SimplyJen wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear about your laptop troubles. That really stinks.

@puzzlezaddict over at Answers HQ can help:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en

They are super friendly and helpful when it comes to helping others shop for a new computer on a budget. I'm not so sure they visit this forum anymore but I still see them on Answers HQ.

Thanks so much, I might ask for advice there as well ;)
  • Options
    @simgirl1010 I see that the Dell G15 comes in i5 and i7, the i5 is much cheaper, which one do you have, does it make a difference?
  • Options
    Thank you so much @simgirl1010 <3 It does look like the one on special at JB hifi with the i5 core should be ok for sims :)

4YYDAfz.png
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I'd stick with Dell. My Dell desktop is from 2014 and still works. Not well but it works. I also highly recommend ASUS...their stuff I find to be excellent quality. I'd also not get a laptop to play TS4...my keyboard on my 2yo Lenovo gets so hot I can barely touch it! And yes, everything is clean and I have a cooling pad...that helps a very little bit. Anyway, good luck!
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,899 Member
    Don’t count out PB Tech, I’ve often found them to have great deals. My current laptop is a Dell and not specifically gaming. It does have a seperate, dedicated graphics rather than just built in/integrated.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,954 Member
    edited July 2023
    mcrudd wrote: »
    @simgirl1010 I see that the Dell G15 comes in i5 and i7, the i5 is much cheaper, which one do you have, does it make a difference?

I got the i7 but for the Sims I don't think it makes much difference, if any.

@Lizzychicago I also have a cooling pad. The bottom of the laptop can get quite hot without it but I've never had a problem with a hot keyboard.
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    @puzzlezaddict helped me with the specs for the computer I am using now, and it is the best computer ever.

If you have a choice of two (i5 or i7) always go with the biggest, if you can afford it, it does save you money in the long run. Remember they could keep adding to sims 4 for quite awhile.
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,455 Member
    I'd stick with Dell. My Dell desktop is from 2014 and still works"

@Lizzychicago since 2014? My workplace had early model Dells in the 80s, maybe early 90s, & retired the last one somewhere around 2010. Hopefully yours lasts as long 🙂.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,988 Member
    edited July 2023
    I'd stick with Dell. My Dell desktop is from 2014 and still works. Not well but it works. I also highly recommend ASUS...their stuff I find to be excellent quality. I'd also not get a laptop to play TS4...my keyboard on my 2yo Lenovo gets so hot I can barely touch it! And yes, everything is clean and I have a cooling pad...that helps a very little bit. Anyway, good luck!

When I needed to change over in 2017 or 2018 I went with an Asus gaming laptop with a 1070 graphics I think ( the graphics are great ), 16 GB ram and I think it was an i7 processor. I had to get this because I had a cheaper non gaming HP and it had too much lag on it by the time City living and toddlers came out. I wanted something that would last all the way through TS 4, and possibly into 5. I got a hybrid instead of an SSD because to get a full SSD was hard to find and too expensive then. Now you can get a TB of SSD reasonably. One thing I like about my laptop is that it has lot of vents, not just on the bottom, and it runs so smoothly as far as the fan goes, I never really hear it. I still get lag once in awhile, but I don’t have an SSD, and usually the lag happens when something is updating in the background, or others are having problems with lag too, like in the gallery. Sometimes if my sims have too much in their inventory it may cause some lag too. My library of downloads is very full, and I own all the packs ( no CC or mods ), so I think my laptop is doing pretty well. I had some people who knew about computers help me out on the forums too because I didn’t know about what to get. Good luck finding your computer or laptop! I know Dells are very good computers.
  • Options
    grevilliabluegrevilliablue Posts: 305 Member
    I have a HP Envy & I find that pretty good. I initially bought mine in 2019 but had to replace it in 2021 as I managed to download something onto it that crashed the whole drive. From memory it cost around $1398 but I'm in Australia so don't know what that would come out to in NZ. I don't have all of the packs but I have most of them & I also have a lot of CC as well as a ton of dog photos & videos on it.
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

When I needed to change over in 2017 or 2018 I went with an Asus gaming laptop with a 1070 graphics I think ( the graphics are great ), 16 GB ram and I think it was an i7 processor. I had to get this because I had a cheaper non gaming HP and it had too much lag on it by the time City living and toddlers came out. I wanted something that would last all the way through TS 4, and possibly into 5. I got a hybrid instead of an SSD because to get a full SSD was hard to find and too expensive then. Now you can get a TB of SSD reasonably. One thing I like about my laptop is that it has lot of vents, not just on the bottom, and it runs so smoothly as far as the fan goes, I never really hear it. I still get lag once in awhile, but I don’t have an SSD, and usually the lag happens when something is updating in the background, or others are having problems with lag too, like in the gallery. Sometimes if my sims have too much in their inventory it may cause some lag too. My library of downloads is very full, and I own all the packs ( no CC or mods ), so I think my laptop is doing pretty well. I had some people who knew about computers help me out on the forums too because I didn’t know about what to get. Good luck finding your computer or laptop! I know Dells are very good computers.

I don't do CC and the only mods I use are T.O.O.L. and the BBB by Twisted Mexi. I don't have a problem with lag at all and I have all the packs and kits. The battery on this laptop has been terrible since I bought it so I can never play or really use it long without it being plugged in but that's not a real problem for me. It's just how HOT the keyboard gets. The fans are on the bottom but there are vent also on each side but none of it seems to help. It is what it is and I'm hoping to get a new computer soonish. A desktop next time.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    monasa85monasa85 Posts: 5 New Member
    Alienware X17 can be a reasonable choice.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,982 Member
    edited July 2023
    whatever you do get more than 8 of RAM
    the game eats it like i eat popcorn
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Thanks all for the continued advice, looks like I might have to wait a bit longer, some more important financial responsibility came up.