The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

On a fixed budget and need help finding a good laptop!

I'm on a tight budget so I've been thinking about "renting" a computer, from places I've heard good things about etc. The only problem is, places like that have only certain computers in stock and I'm not exactly sure what specs I should be looking for.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, the only thing I would probably use it for is Sims 4. The place I'm looking to get a computer from has one that caught my eye, a Alienware 14" Laptop. I've heard it's a bit older, would it still be good for running the Sims?

Specs I should be looking for and recommended brands etc are much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    do you have the money to buy one and not rent?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    FictatiousFictatious Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm attending uni and have a part time job so my income is limited, so no
  • Options
    Without knowing the specs of the laptop I cannot tell you if it's good or not.. however I do know that alienware is a rip off.
    Does it list the specs of the laptop? Alienware probably have allot of different 14".
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    As Chester stated, Alienware is a rip-off and should be avoided at all times.

Here are brands that are recommended and to avoid...
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/835933/looking-for-a-new-laptop-see-brand-recommendations-here
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hi @Fictatious on top of needing specs like chester suggested how much are they asking to rent it for? and what are the terms of use? ive never heard of renting option is it this rent to own one http://www6.rentacenter.com/rent/computers/laptops/alienware-14-laptop-computer

if so you should be paying more over time because of interest then if you had bought it in more traditional way. the mark up can be very high. can you consider other options like normal store credit or layaway or just saving up even if it took a year in the end you would pay less for a better newer system.
  • Options
    Yeah, I should've been more clear. It's a "rent to own" type deal, but I know in then end I am paying more than it's worth but I really don't mind since this is the only way I could afford one in the end. I was looking at rentacenter, that's the Alienware I saw. I read some slightly older reviews and it was all positive, why is it a brand that should be avoided?
  • Options
    jc_16jc_16 Posts: 42 Member
    I have an ASUS X455LD Laptop and it's running the game at a nice frame rate with high settings (except for object textures set to medium) w/ post processing effects and uncompressed sim textures checked. It's running great! even though the laptop is meant for just web browsing and simple video editing. It also runs the Sims 3 at a descent frame rate as well w/ Med-High settings. Just make sure that you're on cool temp. since the laptop can get pretty hot. While playing S4 and S3, I get around 60C. I do recommend using a laptop cooler while playing games on a laptop since a laptop is really not meant for gaming. One thing that bothers me w/ this laptop though is the battery life. It only lasts for about 4 hours (Though for the $630 price, I think it's okay for me since I rarely use this laptop and use my desktop all the time.) If you have the cash above that price, get the K401LB Laptop. Here's the specs of it >> asus DOT com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K401LB/specifications/

BTW, I only choose Asus branded laptops because for some reason, it's the only company that gave me a good experience w/ customer service and the laptops itself.
  • Options
    It has the 1GB GT 750M card. which should be able to handle the game on medium settings... But nobody can say for sure how it will handle future game packs/ Expansions.
    I would usually recommend nothing lower then the GTX 850M card and the 1GB 750m Is a fair bit lower end.. would be better if it were the 2GB version.
    Honestly I would hold off and see if you can find something better.
    Some googling found me this website :
    http://paymentplanoutlet.com/todays-deals/
    Not sure of how the payment plans work though.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    ok i just got the price for my area and the mark up for this not even that good of alienware laptop is beyond mind blowing:

infqkw.png

• Options
    Yeah, I saw that. I'm not the most familiar with Alienware but I've heard good and bad things, mainly the price is just because of the "Big Name Company" etc. I'm not a hardcore gamer, I'm just looking for something that can run it on Med graphics, because the laptop I got specifically for this was a waste sadly.
  • Options
    to put it into perspective i a year and half ago bought a top of line clevo gaming laptop and i was under 2gs. specs i7 4800mq, 16gb ram, card amd 8970m, this system which is honestly just mid level gaming specs, 750m and i5 processor is almost 2,000 dollars more than what i paid

now heres the other thing you could get a significantly better gaming laptop if you saved up for it and it costs 2600 less http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/RAVEN_X6-100_Gaming_Laptop

i so understand a tight budget and since you are asking for advice i really must strongly convey to you the importance of saving 2600
  • Options
    I see cyberpowerpc's recommended a lot, so I suppose I'll just save for that one you posted or the Fangbook! Thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    Fictatious wrote: »
    I see cyberpowerpc's recommended a lot, so I suppose I'll just save for that one you posted or the Fangbook! Thanks everyone :)

please do!!! :)
  • Options
    That's a very wise idea :)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member

Cyberpower is reccomended a lot although definatly have the right person build it as i looked cyberpower up on google and found this:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864493/cyberpowers-fang-trinity-gaming-pc-is-simply-insane.html -positive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SxwBVaWX3g -perfectly honest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYGYDwd3xhM -negative
    However, if chesterbigbird builds it for you, they'll build a decent one. A lot of people like ones build by chesterbigbird but please don't get one built by colton147147 as they'll have something bad about it (no offence colton, but some of your built PCs have one thing unsuitable for ts4) and just go with chesterbigbird configurations as they're probably the best ones. I just wanted to give you an idea that a lot of people enjoy their cyberpower PCs but some don't because the wrong person built it. Experienced users (like the mentioned chesterbigbird) are the best ones to ask to build it for you as they build AMAZING ones.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @emmaning op is buying a laptop and most of the fangbooks you dont have to change any specs or maybe just a few depending on the model but those do not need a chester build for laptop. Chester builds the desktops :D
  • Options
    Southernbelle1283Southernbelle1283 Posts: 398 Member
    I've talked a coworker into buying cyberpower pc for both her boys - she says they're THRILLED with them, and she spent under 1300 a piece on them.
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

Origin ID: simmerdownsouth
    Twitter: @simmerdownsouth
    My Sims 4 Blog/Stories: http://www.simmerdownsouth.com/
    YouTube Channel: SimmerDownSouth
  • Options
    @emmaning op is buying a laptop and most of the fangbooks you dont have to change any specs or maybe just a few depending on the model but those do not need a chester build for laptop. Chester builds the desktops :D

@phoebebebe13 oops sorry. I'm dumb. :open_mouth:
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    emmaning wrote: »

no thats fine most of us can change a few things on a laptop if need be. I would not however trust myself to build a desktop from scratch thats why I ask chester since chester plays most modern games, they know what specs are needed plus is someone has a budget, chester knows where they can skimp on hardware if need be.
  • Options
    emmaning wrote: »

no thats fine most of us can change a few things on a laptop if need be. I would not however trust myself to build a desktop from scratch thats why I ask chester since chester plays most modern games, they know what specs are needed plus is someone has a budget, chester knows where they can skimp on hardware if need be.

The only problem with me trying to build them is im fine with picking hard drive, graphics card, processor, ram and stuff but when it comes to fans, cases, motherboards and similar I struggle.
    feKqkxf.jpg

• Options
    I see some nice things said about me in this thread.. thanks :)
    Hardware is my thing and I actually like doing configurations for people.. I can't take credit for actually building it though.. that's all CyberpowerPC :)
    Nothing like the new pc smell lol :D
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide