Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Strange thing happened to save file

Hi all, it's hard to explain because it's so weird but I'll try my best.

I play Sims 4 on a computer and I just upgraded to Windows 10 tonight. I have about 3 different save files that I play different sim families on. One save has a family in Newcrest (save 1) and another has a family in Windenburg (save 2). I loaded up save 1 and somehow I started playing my windenburg family from save 2. I thought at first I had loaded the wrong game, but nope. The original family was still in newcrest, but it's almost like the two saves bleeded together somehow. Also, on another older save (save 3), my family there are now living in the home from the windenburg save file despite not having played that save file for a few months.

Hope this all makes sense, nothing has been erased but the save files just appear to have merged with some families ending up in separate saves. Has this happened to anyone else? Not sure if it has anything to do with upgrading to Windows 10. I also copied my save folder to an external hard drive as a backup the other say so it could be that?

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Hi all, it's hard to explain because it's so weird but I'll try my best.

I play Sims 4 on a computer and I just upgraded to Windows 10 tonight. I have about 3 different save files that I play different sim families on. One save has a family in Newcrest (save 1) and another has a family in Windenburg (save 2). I loaded up save 1 and somehow I started playing my windenburg family from save 2. I thought at first I had loaded the wrong game, but nope. The original family was still in newcrest, but it's almost like the two saves bleeded together somehow. Also, on another older save (save 3), my family there are now living in the home from the windenburg save file despite not having played that save file for a few months.

Hope this all makes sense, nothing has been erased but the save files just appear to have merged with some families ending up in separate saves. Has this happened to anyone else? Not sure if it has anything to do with upgrading to Windows 10. I also copied my save folder to an external hard drive as a backup the other say so it could be that?

Are any of the families premades? If so, those are in every new save.

Also, how are you starting new saves when you do? It sounds like you might have added a new household to an older save rather than actually started a new one. How do you save? (Save As with a particular name?) How do you load your save to play?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    somnambulist07somnambulist07 Posts: 50 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    Are any of the families premades? If so, those are in every new save.
    >
    > Also, how are you starting new saves when you do? It sounds like you might have added a new household to an older save rather than actually started a new one. How do you save? (Save As with a particular name?) How do you load your save to play?

No, all the families I play were made by me.

I use the same male sim in both the windenburg save 2 file and the older save 3. In save 2 he is single and lives in a house I downloaded off the gallery. In save 3 he lives in willow creek with a female sim. But when I loaded save 3 to check, both him and the female sim were living in the house in windenburg, and I hadn't touched that save for a few months until today so there's no way I could have added a new household to that save. Their old house was still in willow creek unoccupied.

Whenever I save I press the 3 dots and click save, then exit to main menu. I load by pressing the disc symbol and loading whichever save I want to play.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited December 2015
    That's strange. Can you quit the game and remove the the saves folder out?

Then reset your TS4 folder:

1. Move the whole TS4 folder out to Documents or desktop.
    2. Delete the TS4 folder in the Electronic Arts folder if it's still there. Get into the game and play for a bit and then exit.
    3. You will see a new TS4 folder in your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    4. Copy all the Saves, Tray, etc files back to the new respective folders in the new TS4 folder and start the game again.
    5. Then quit the game again and move back your separate save files from your external hard drive back into the new saves folder and replace anything if you get the "replace files" pop up.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    When you started new saves, how did you do it? I wonder if you didn't actually add a new household to your older save all those months ago without realizing it; there are two + signs on the Main Menu page, which has confused users before: one starts from scratch (top right), the other adds a household to the most recent save (center). What do you have in Save 3 in Played Households?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.