Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Black screen on start up

So I have been playing the sims 4 for quite a while now (386 hours) and since the update there has been a problem. Whenever I click on the sims to play it a black screen pops up but there is still music playing from the game itself and I can click everything but there's still a black screen. I already removed and reinstalled the game twice, also removed my mods and I also changed the fullscreen from '0' to '1' but nothing helps... does anybody know how I can fix this?

Comments

• Options
    Feedinghissheep3Feedinghissheep3 Posts: 92 Member
    So I have been playing the sims 4 for quite a while now (386 hours) and since the update there has been a problem. Whenever I click on the sims to play it a black screen pops up but there is still music playing from the game itself and I can click everything but there's still a black screen. I already removed and reinstalled the game twice, also removed my mods and I also changed the fullscreen from '0' to '1' but nothing helps... does anybody know how I can fix this?

when this happened to me i had to play offline...then it worked! there is the option to play offline in origin under your settings...hth
  • Options
    Fearless_FayFearless_Fay Posts: 3 New Member
    It still doesn't work...
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    It still doesn't work...

New since the Dec. 4 update: If you're on a 64-bit laptop that isn't a Mac, see http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/863606/laptop-users-update-your-card-assignment-for-64bit#latest. If you are on a 64-bit computer with only 4 GB RAM, switch back to the 32-bit version of the game.

Let us know if that helps!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimGamer15SimGamer15 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Try going into origin and right click on sims 4 and click repair.
  • Options
    Fearless_FayFearless_Fay Posts: 3 New Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > Fearless_Fay wrote: »
    >
    > It still doesn't work...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > New since the Dec. 4 update: If you're on a 64-bit laptop that isn't a Mac. If you are on a 64-bit computer with only 4 GB RAM, switch back to the 32-bit version of the game.
    >
    > Let us know if that helps!

I let someone else do all those things because I'm not that good with computers and the game still isn't working... I really don't get why it doesn't work... I hadn't played the game since August due to school and last week on Monday I decided to play it. The game showed up in a small window which I found strange because it usually shows up on full screen mode so I went to my settings and changed it to full screen. And then I played it without any problems. Then on Friday I had to update it first but then I opened it like I usually do and the sims showed up in a really small bar, around the size of a pinky, in the upper left corner of my screen. Then it opened up in full screen, followed by a white flash and then the screen went black with music playing...
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Okay, this one's more complicated than I can do. I'm going to turn you over to @phoebebebe13 , @ceejay402 , and @chesterbigbird
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hi @Fearless_Fay

are you getting any errors? also can you do the following restart computer confirm all windows updates are installed then open origin and confirm origin is up to date http://simsvip.com/2015/12/17/origin-update-december-17th-2015/

the best way to get a computer to show needed updates as well as install an update is to reboot the computer. for origin it can take two reboots for it to work for me and for windows update i always reboot even though the computer itself reboots on its own.

now if everything is up to date next thing to do is pull out your whole my documents/electronic arts/sims 4 folder and try the game again.

if you still cant get the game to launch properly see if reinstalling origin helps

now if you have tried all of the above and still have issues post computer info -to post hit windows key + R. enter dxdiag and select ok to run report. then select "Save all information" and a notepad doc will open. copy/paste the whole long report here. If you have win 8/8.1 you may need to copy/paste the report into two threads, thanks!
  • Options
    chelsea666chelsea666 Posts: 1 New Member
    This has just started happening to me did you end up finding a solution??
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    chelsea666 wrote: »
    This has just started happening to me did you end up finding a solution??

Hello @chelsea666.

Shut down your computer completely. Start the computer again, then launch the game and see if that helps

Do you have cc/mods in your game? If you do, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if the issue is still there.

Repairing the the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try opening the game in windowed mode and see if that helps.
    http://help.ea.com/au/article/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode/

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps. To do that ,
    Go to My Games in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

If after doing all the above things the issue still continues, could you please post your DxDiag info here. It will take multiple posts.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to here in this thread
  • Options
    Jessica21Jessica21 Posts: 1 New Member
    This has now happened to me and I don't know what to do!!! :s :s :s
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Jessica21 wrote: »
    This has now happened to me and I don't know what to do!!! :s:s:s

Hello @Jessica21
    Shut down your computer completely. Start the computer again, then launch the game and see if that helps.

If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the black screen is still there.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate.

If the issue remains, could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here

You will need to break up the pastebin link of your DXDiag info though when you post it in this thread by putting h.t.t.p. instead of http, because you are unable to post links because you are a new member.