Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disc read error on disc 2?

I finally (after about 4 hours) figured out how to "copy" instead of take 4 days to "download" it from Origin, and now I keep getting "disc read error." First I was getting the disc read error on disc 1.. Well somehow it magically fixed itself as I was persistent and continued to click "try again." But now it installs to 92% where I am then instructed to insert disc 2. When I put disc 2 in it instantly says "disc read error" and won't even let me click "try again." Then it proceeds to say that "Origin has encountered a problem and must close." This is complete BS. I am so entirely frustrated and disappointed in EA.

The game was JUST purchased this morning so how can there be "disc read errors" with them? They are BRAND NEW! $80 down the effing drain..AND my entire Saturday has been wasted on failed attempts and frustration.. smh

Comments

• Options
    caw004caw004 Posts: 11 New Member
    SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME... One of you SimGurus or SOMEONE... I'm so frustrated! AHH.
  • Options
    Ally1417Ally1417 Posts: 6 New Member
    I am having the same problem! I have disc 1 inserted and after about 40% it says disc read error and very time I click try again it just gets to the same percentage and says error again. Someone please help? I have tried downloading but it takes forever and my internet connection is fine.
  • Options
    Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member
    This often suggests something is wrong with your computer, it could be as bad as the hard disk or as simple as the system paging file. It could also be Ram. My best guess, if you're not having other problems, is the system paging file.

--
    How to reset the system paging file (this is for windows 7, I think it'll work on Vista too, though.)
    1. Click the windows button, right click "computer". Click properties.
    2. On the left-hand side click "Advanced System settings".
    3. In the window that pops up make sure the "Advanced" tab is selected.
    4. Under "Performance" click the box that says "Settings".
    5. Go to the Advanced tab on the new-new windows that opened.
    6. Under "Virtual Memory" click "Change".
    7. Select your disk (or disks) and select "no paging file". Click set.
    8. Restart your machine. (This is vital). We then need to re-create a new paging file after the old one is cleaned up on restart so...
    (These are repeat instructions of 1 through 8)
    9. Click the windows button, right click "computer". Click properties.
    10. On the left-hand side click "Advanced System settings".
    11. In the window that pops up make sure the "Advanced" tab is selected.
    12. Under "Performance" click the box that says "Settings".
    13. Go to the Advanced tab on the new-new windows that opened.
    14. Under "Virtual Memory" click "Change".
    (This is where things are a little different.)
    15.Some people say you should allocate at least half your ram as virtual memory space. I have mine set very small, only recently ringing it up to 512mb. You may use a "system managed size" if you wish.
    16. Restart again to create the new system paging file.
  • Options
    I tried your suggestion, it copied to 38% then came up with the disc read error again. My computer is new, I brought it specifically for Sims so I don't see why this won't work :(
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    That is very strange. Maybe try putting your key into Origin and seeing if you can download it will help?

Typically a "disc read error" does not happen with a CD/DVD, but if it does it's because the CD/DVD was not written properly.

Edit: Are you sure it says "disc" and not "disk"?

Edit2: If it's not your virtual memory causing an error copying... it could be your DVD drive. The fact it happens in different places is making me think it's more your machine than the disc.
  • Options
    I tried again and it said disc read error then error 131073:0?
  • Options
    It appears to be a common error when downloading from Origin. Some people have said defragmenting their computer helped. You may also need to re-install the Origin client. It seems to be a very general error.

Might as well say "Installer something error happens".

Could also be some anti-virus stuff not liking it.
  • Options
    I made sure none of my anti virus was running but still not working :(
  • Options
    I'm afraid I can not help you then. It seems that just "trying again later" and downloading the digital copy are the "solutions" to this. The problem seems to exist with the sims 2 (digital copy) as well as sims 3 expansions. :/
  • Options
    caw004caw004 Posts: 11 New Member
    Thank you Leo_Gruen! It is working now... but I must say I'm not entirely impressed with ts4. :neutral_face: