Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to uninstall "An error (-5005 : 0x80000ffff) has occured while running setup"

When i try to uninstall the game i recieve the error:

An error (-5005 : 0x80000ffff) has occured while running setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications
If the errir still occurs, please contact your vendor: Electronic Arts
(http://wwwTheSims3.com)

|Report| |Detail<<| |OK|

Error Code: -5005 : 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
>SetupNew\setup.cpp (851)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:Electronic Arts (http://www.TheSims3.com)
PGUID:C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8
$15.0.0.498
@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600)
IE Version: 7.0.5730.13

Now, i have nothing running apart from windows.
i have no mods installed

So, i tried Add Remove Programs, Same Error

Then, i totally deleted all Sims3 Files from C:, My Docs, and Regedit.

And, i then rebooted my pc. Numerous times.

Now, when i go into Add Remove Programs to uninstall the game, I still recieve the same ERROR >_<

When i run the disc to Install the game it says:

The setup has detected that version 1.2.07 of The Sims 3 is already installed.

This setup installs an earlier version of The Sims3(1.0.631)

You will have to uninstall the previous version before installing this version.

So..Someone..Anyone..PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW DA HELL I AM GOING TO UNINSTALL IT??????

Comments

• DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2009
    Okay I'm going to paste instructions for a full uninstall/reinstall. Just pick it up where it says to delete lefot over folders and do each step from there. You should be fine.

Copy My Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Saves to a safe location.

Uninstall the game via add/remove programs or the provided unistaller.

Delete all Sims 3 folders it leaves behind. (Look in Prgram files and My Documents)

Run regedit and delete all sims 3 keys.

Reboot.

Install the game and patch it.

Load the game to Sunset Valley.

Quit.

Redownload all CC, store items etc and install those.

Load Sunset Valley again.

Quit.

Now put the saves folder you rescued back where it came from and - hopefully- enjoy your game.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • hallucinoJEN2000hallucinoJEN2000 Posts: 51 Member
    edited July 2009
    I did everything you said in the above post, and when I go to install the game, it still says I have the game installed. Please help!

edit: I downloaded CCleaner and cleaned my registry, but I still get the same error message.
  • SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited July 2009
    Hi there.

For your specific issue, check this FAQ:

[url] https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22226[/url] (Manual Uninstall instructions)

-Big Guy-

• DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2009
    Registry cleaners will not remove keys if the file or folder refernced still exsists. You need to make sure all the files are gone and, edit the registry manually.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • PhiloSimphyPhiloSimphy Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 2009
    My googling tells me that this error code has something to do with the InstallShieldWizard, and not so much the Sims 3. Of course, this still doesn't help me as I'm unable to either update or uninstall my game without jumping through hoops. This issue isn't addressed anywhere, besides just the general "how to manually uninstall" instructions? This is just shameful.
    edited August 2009
    As far as I know I have deleted all instances of TS3 in the registry. If there are still files from TS3, I do not know where they are located without totally messing up my system. I sent my question to technical help, and they are supposed to respond within 24 hours, but they have not sent any emails back to me regarding this issue. I can't play my game anymore, and I would like to start playing again.
    edited August 2009
    Hi there.

For your specific issue, check this FAQ:

[url] https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22226[/url] (Manual Uninstall instructions)

-Big Guy-

The FAQ you are referring to only tells you how to save your game data. It doesn't explain what the specific error code is and how to resolve it.
  • tnvol123tnvol123 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm hoping you've actually looked at the whole page of the FAQ that SimGuru_BGY_11 posted, because it explains how to manually remove all traces of the Sims 3 from your computer so you can reinstall it.

At least, it's worked for me ;)

Thank you, SimGuru_BGY_11, for your help. I was really upset with this game until I saw that thread. Hopefully my game will work for me now...
    edited August 2009
    ****It's finally worked! Thank you!

If you're having issues with the game and need to manually uninstall it as a troubleshooting measure, refer to the instructions below.

Backup the save data in Windows XP:

1. Click the Start button and select My Documents.
    2. Select the Electronic Arts folder.
    3. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Cut.
    4. Right-click on your desktop and select Paste.
    5. To restore your Sims 3 save games, move this folder back into the Electronic Arts folder after re-installing the game.

Backup the save data in Windows Vista:

1. Click the Start button and select Documents.
    2. Select the Electronic Arts folder.
    3. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Cut.
    4. Right-click on your desktop and select Paste.
    5. To restore your Sims 3 save games, move this folder back into the Electronic Arts folder after re-installing the game.

Delete the game files (in the default location):

1. Click the Start button and select My Computer.
    2. Select the Local Disk (C:) drive folder.
    3. Select the Program Files folder.
    4. Select the Electronic Arts folder.
    5. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Delete.

Backup the registry:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press R.
    2. At the Run command, type in "regedit" (minus the quotes) and select OK.
    3. Click on File and then Export...
    4. Choose a location and name for the file; this will be your backup registry file.
    5. Click Save.

Delete the registry keys:

1. Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
    2. Expand the SOFTWARE folder.
    3. Expand the Electronic Arts folder.
    4. Expand the Sims folder.
    5. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Delete.
    6. Collapse the Electronic Arts folder.
    7. Expand the Sims folder.
    8. Right-click The Sims 3 folder and select Delete.
    9. Collapse the Sims folder.
    10. Expand the Microsoft folder.
    11. Expand the Windows folder.
    12. Expand the CurrentVersion folder.
    13. Expand the Uninstall folder.
    14. Delete the following folder if it appears:
    • {C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8}
    11. Collapse the Microsoft folder.
    12. Expand the Classes folder.
    13. Delete the following folders if they appear:
    • .Sims3
    • .Sims3Pack
    • Sims3
    • Sims3Pack

Delete the uninstall files:

1. Click the Start button and select My Computer.
    2. Select the Local Disk (C:) drive folder.
    3. Select the Program Files folder.
    4. Select Tools, then Folder Options, then View, then select "Show hidden files and folders."
    5. Select the InstallShield Installation Information folder.
    6. Delete the following folder if it appears:
    • {C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8}

The Sims 3 should now be completely removed from your system.
  • BellelaideBellelaide Posts: 9 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Thank you!! Yesterday when I followed it from the FAQs I didn't have some of the registry so I thought there was something wrong. But this morning with a clear head, I decided to skip the steps and just move it. & it worked.

Thanks so much. :]
  • linkinparkkirolinkinparkkiro Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    LOL i did it too thanks very,very,very much dude ;]
  • AnoshW1003AnoshW1003 Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I had the same problem but it's now fixed thanks to hallucinoJEN2000's info.
    Thanks. :)
  • LoveLife0v0LoveLife0v0 Posts: 1,210
    edited August 2011
    i really know you are trying to help but my pc doesnt have the uninstall folder!!!!! i swear i looked EVERYWHERE iand ive already pre-ordered the sims 3 pets and will be devistaded if its not working by then please help.... :(:cry: :thumbdown: :|
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited August 2011
    i really know you are trying to help but my pc doesnt have the uninstall folder!!!!! i swear i looked EVERYWHERE iand ive already pre-ordered the sims 3 pets and will be devistaded if its not working by then please help.... :(:cry: :thumbdown: :|
    If you're running Windows you need to look in the registry. There is one in there if you're doing a manual uninstall.

EDIT:
    There is a section of how to manually uninstall the games with there respective links in the Master Help Thread posted by Nich at the top of this forum.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • amber_admsn94amber_admsn94 Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I think I may have a solution. Cause I have tried every single thing I could think of for the last few days (none of them worked) and came across this completely by accident. Works like an absolute dream.

To uninstall it, just pop the CD into the drive as usual, if a box comes up asking whether to run autorun or to open the files in the disc, click the option that asks to open the files.

Scroll through all the files in the newly opened folder until you find one that says (for example if you're uninstalling World Adventures first) Sims3EP01Setup. Double click on that and it should automatically take you to the usual uninstall window that comes up. Once it uninstalls, you should be able to install it again with no problems. Hope this helps :)
  • OskilouOskilou Posts: 59
    edited January 2012
    Hey, i have the same problem right now.

And i've done everything i can in my power to provent this from being that way. I've tryed a program that should force the program to uninstall and such.

Anyhow, when im doing that thing on "regedit" there are some files i can't find, like electric arts and the windows file. So right now i have no clue of what to do.
    It feels absolutley impossible doing anything right now. And i really would like to play my the sims.
  • BlessedNicaBlessedNica Posts: 23
    edited March 2012
    Okay seriously, having the same problem. I downloaded two mods which turned everything on my game to freaking word programs, so I got rid of them AND sims 3. Now its stuck in my uninstall program with the same thing he has popping up and I'm getting extremely ******. There is no trace of sims 3 on my computer when I search for it other than the sims 3 in the control panel because I got rid of everything else.

I have no clue how to find any lingering mods either. Help please...

Edit: I just did what amber_admsn94 said to do, but it says the sims 3 is still installed and keeps beeping at me.
  • bunnyxxrawrrbunnyxxrawrr Posts: 9
    edited March 2012
    Hello, I know this post is kind of old but I have this problem happening with me too. I just got sims plus pets limited edition. I already had the sims 3 base game, but it bought a new one because mine was scratching up and old. So I decided to uninstall the old sims base game before I installed the new plus pets one. So I uninstalled it,it worked so I tried to install the sims plus pets, but it wouldnt work. (my pc is weird and sometimes doesn't load the disk when you put it in)

So I kept trying, and it still wouldn't work, and wouldnt let me turn off my pc, and I decided to back date it. So, once again my old sims game was back on my pc.I tried to uninstall it, and it gave me the error,

An error (-5005 : 0x80000ffff) has occurred while running setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications
    If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Electronic Arts

So I ran the game, and said it needed to update, so I did that, but then it says some file is missing? I got on here, and I did all of the instructions to uninstall it manually, and it still doesn't work. There are no sims files on my pc, and when I put in the new disk it won't load it. Help please?
  • Shruthi_87Shruthi_87 Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Thanks a lot it worked :-)
  • Simgirl215Simgirl215 Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    I've followed the Manually Uninstall instructions up until the "regedit". There is no Electronic Arts folder when I expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE folders. There is an Electronic Arts folder in my Computer>Program Files (x86) folder though. PLEASE HELP ME! Everyone else's problem was fixed. My problems always have to be extra and can never be fixed and I'm SICK OF IT! PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I GO INSANE!
  • edited November 2013
    Nope. Still not working and has me REALLY ****** off!
  • sexybi1sexybi1 Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    xd0obx wrote:
    When i try to uninstall the game i recieve the error:

An error (-5005 : 0x80000ffff) has occured while running setup.

If the errir still occurs, please contact your vendor: Electronic Arts

|Report| |Detail<<| |OK|

Error Code: -5005 : 0x8000ffff
    Error Information:
    >Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (95)
    >SetupNew\setup.cpp (851)
    PAPP:
    PVENDOR:Electronic Arts (http://www.TheSims3.com)
    PGUID:C05D8CDB-417D-4335-A38C-A0659EDFD6B8
    $15.0.0.498
    @Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600)
    IE Version: 7.0.5730.13

Now, i have nothing running apart from windows.
    i have no mods installed

So, i tried Add Remove Programs, Same Error

Then, i totally deleted all Sims3 Files from C:, My Docs, and Regedit.

And, i then rebooted my pc. Numerous times.

Now, when i go into Add Remove Programs to uninstall the game, I still recieve the same ERROR >_<

When i run the disc to Install the game it says:

The setup has detected that version 1.2.07 of The Sims 3 is already installed.

This setup installs an earlier version of The Sims3(1.0.631)

You will have to uninstall the previous version before installing this version.

So..Someone..Anyone..PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW DA HELL I AM GOING TO UNINSTALL IT??????
  • Medhur_tMedhur_t Posts: 1 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Having given up on sims3 for a while because I couldn't open any saved games I finally decided to unintall everything and start again. Even that doesn't work. I have uninstalled all the expansion packs successfully but when I try to uninstall Sims 3 base game, it won't allow me to uninstall TS3.ex saying I don't have permission. I've tried everything I can think of (permissions , renaming)but still access denied.
    That file is the only one still in the folder and am my wits end. Short of buying a new computer what else can I do?

Yes, I have read the full posts on this before anyone asks.....

Help please!
  • DivineCorpseDivineCorpse Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    So yeah this has happened to me. I do NOT have the Electronic Arts folder though I have checked :/ And sims 3 still will not unistall..
  • hobbitdwarfhobbitdwarf Posts: 3 New Member
    edited May 2014
    YOU GUYS! i had the same problem :x But i have something for you that helped me get rid of it !
    all you need is to install this : http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol

follow the steps.

Open the pogram once you're finnished, and find sims 3 (i had problem with the base game, when i got errors all the time so i take that as an example )
    dubble click the sims 3 when you have found it and just follow the steps ( make sure to delete all the files the system find as i did to get rid of the thing that makes the error happen )

I really hope this helps you ! I was on my way to explode when i had this problem! I really hope you get rid of this problem :)