May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do strays/wild horses even EXIST?

I've been watching my sister play on my game all night (since her graphics card failed us and has to be replaced. x-x) and she must have played in Appaloosa Plains for a week+ and so far we have not seen a SINGLE wild horse, or stray dog or cat.

We have seen a random deer, owned horses coming and going from properties by themselves, and the tiny animals you can collect, but that is it.
We've even got the gnomes outside her house to encourage them.

I thought for sure we'd see a stray by now. :\ I was looking forward to strays on my game, and it's looking like it'll take a COUPLE weeks when I finally get my turn. x__x''

Has anybody seen any strays? Does anybody know if this is a problem that might be fixed?

EDIT: Okay so we JUST had a dog walk up to the house. AFTER my sister already adopted a dog. o.o
Please tell me you don't NEED a dog to see a stray dog... x___x That kinda defeats the whole purpose...
I'd planned for my Sims to just adopt strays for fun. :P

Comments

• Options
    TheHappySimmerTheHappySimmer Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2011
    I had a small herd of Wild Horses visit my lot WITH a Unicorn one day!! I've also had several strays happen upon the lot, as well as raccoons and a certain deer named Bambina runs through the lot everyday as she's "going home" (It always says Bambina is going home when I try to interact with her as she's bounding through.) :lol:

I hope you get some strays and wildlife on the lot soon! :(
  • Options
    gr33ce39gr33ce39 Posts: 152 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I think Strays are one of those once in a while type things, otherwise people would be complaining there are too many.

I saw a herd of horses run past my house at one point, and a stray dog, besides that, still looking! :)
  • Options
    Sapphire789Sapphire789 Posts: 150
    edited October 2011
    i thought gnomes were supposed to keep stray/wild animals away. because lots of people that played sims 2 pets had dogs and stuff digging in there yard.
    Aren't the gnomes ment to stop this?
  • Options
    TheHappySimmerTheHappySimmer Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2011
    i thought gnomes were supposed to keep stray/wild animals away. because lots of people that played sims 2 pets had dogs and stuff digging in there yard.
    Aren't the gnomes ment to stop this?

The gnomes can be used to either ward off or welcome strays and wildlife. Once you purchse one, you have the option to switch the way you want. :)
  • Options
    NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    edited October 2011
    The stray horses like to go to the water plant and fishing spots.

The stray dogs and cats...

I have only seen one.
  • Options
    KylerzmomKylerzmom Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited October 2011
    Within my first few minutes of playing I saw a wild horse at the dog park. I have seen a few others in town too. Also I saw (and got fleas from) a stray cat and found a stray dog sleeping on my porch one night!
    You know nothing.
    1cc950bf-a674-44ca-8d69-a234571ea2f5_zps8d6da33b.jpg
  • Options
    victorlatortvictorlatort Posts: 116
    edited October 2011
    Ive seen a few, but not on purpose
  • Options
    heidi11576heidi11576 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited October 2011
    I have seen a few wild horses but no other wild animals
  • Options
    StroganoffOfBeefStroganoffOfBeef Posts: 743 Member
    edited October 2011
    I've seen a stray dog, and one stray cat.. And the cat is almost always on my lot.
  • Options
    ChrmdRcks20ChrmdRcks20 Posts: 274 Member
    edited October 2011
    I'm glad it seems like others are having problems getting strays to show up, too. But you know... since I know it's nothing wrong with my game as it's happening to others, it's kinda cool. It makes it much more special when it does happen, then. :)
  • Options
    diestlerdiestler Posts: 455 Member
    edited October 2011
    There is a herd of wild horses in my game. I have begun the process of friending one:) They seem to appear more in the evening. In my game they are on a residential street in an empty area between two houses. As a pp said they seem to travel to and from the fishing spots.

I haven't seen any stray dogs or cats though.
  • Options
    Nanabobo567Nanabobo567 Posts: 465 Member
    edited October 2011
    So, when I first started the game, I had loads of wild horses prancing through my yard. I'd bought that cheap home near the cat park. What's up with that?
  • Options
    fallenangel19910fallenangel19910 Posts: 4,432 New Member
    edited October 2011
    i see them all the time, but not enough for it to be annoying :)

i have deers at the back of my lot all the time :)

Screenshot-345.jpg
  • Options
    TateSaundersTateSaunders Posts: 997 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I see deers, and have had stray horses around...
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited October 2011
    I saw a wild horse in the first hour or so.

In case anyone didn't realize this out yet.....the collection helper in LTR will now help you find the minor animals. I've had my Sim collecting birds and she's getting all over town. I've found that's a good way to explore the town.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2011
    I've not seen any wild horses yet. I've only played a few hours though. I've caught 2 wild birds, a pretty colorful one and a crow! I set the crow free, but kept the pretty bird. I've caught a snake.
    I'm still looking for a wild horse, but I did go ahead and an adopt a foal. I love that it is free to adopt. The Sims 2 you had to pay to adopt them.

The foal is so sweet, it had a moodlet that it missed it's mother... awww. So, I had to make friends and give it some love... :)
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
  • Options
    Bubbabooboo5Bubbabooboo5 Posts: 387 Member
    edited October 2011
    yes :) i got one on my lot the first day :). Im still trying to figure out how to get high enough relationship to adopt it :).. good luck!!!
  • Options
    ChrmdRcks20ChrmdRcks20 Posts: 274 Member
    edited October 2011
    jobug1015 wrote:
    The foal is so sweet, it had a moodlet that it missed it's mother... awww. So, I had to make friends and give it some love... :)

Awww! That's adorable! Maybe an adult horse would make it feel better, too. :)
  • Options
    TheBuffKingTheBuffKing Posts: 85 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Besides the gnomes is there a way to lure them? I have a bowl of pet food outside and few times tried leaving a plate of human food out there. it didn't work.

the deer thing is annoying. I'll see one and hit watch deer. then then dear will take off running and my sim will drive/run all over town looking for it again and it never reappears (or i give up after 8 hours sim time).
  • Options
    smjjamessmjjames Posts: 1,815 New Member
    edited October 2011
    A wild horse zoomed past the house in maybe the second night. Later saw a herd of them.

Haven't played enough to see strays of cats or dogs yet.
  • Options
    jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2011
    jobug1015 wrote:

Awww! That's adorable! Maybe an adult horse would make it feel better, too. :)

As soon as I made friends with it, the moodlet went away and got the loved(?) moodlet, because I brushed it. So cute!
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
  • Options
    CheerBabe15CheerBabe15 Posts: 203
    edited October 2011
    I've seen one horse and one dog!

You can go to map view and look for those little shadows moveing and zoom it :) Sometimes it's wildlife or a stray.

P.S HI!
  • Options
    DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    edited October 2011
    I found a pond in AP the wild horses frequent and had a stray dog and cat show up for a couple sim hours a piece. I think EA just really toned down the strays because so many people disliked them.
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited October 2011
    Spawning wild animals is a job of the Story progression. It's the same as with townies. It takes a while before they appear.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Sandy_FrecklesSandy_Freckles Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    I have seen the same herd of wild horses like 5 times, and they come to water it seems often. Like that beach place. I also saw a deer (and my sim petted it!) a racoon, turtle and falcon. No unicorns yet.