Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some opinions please? Sneak peek at my WIP! *UPDATED TWICE*

SimShineSimShine Posts: 308 Member
Like I said before, I'm working on a new home that's a little larger than what I'm used to and I'm completely undecided on this formal living room...If anyone has any opinions like it or not it would help!

pre1.jpg

pre2.jpg

pre3.jpg

Thanks in advance!
-SimShine

Comments

• penguinlverpenguinlver Posts: 465
    edited June 2011
    It looks great! I'm not much of an expert, but I would probably add another color to the room besides just blue and black.
  • svlynsvlyn Posts: 4,409 Member
    edited June 2011
    I wish i was a decor expert too, but i am really a builder struggling with decor, but i see that those chairs could be a warm colour of something. Try making them a warm tan colour and see what happens. This will help the sunflowers to blend in more because right now they stand out a lot more then they should. I hope you dont mind cander comments.

I do love the way you put all the objects together to make an interesting eyecatching room. I think a slight recolouring and the the room will just be fabulous.
  • CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited June 2011
    It look great to me
  • SimShineSimShine Posts: 308 Member
    edited June 2011
    svlyn wrote:
    I wish i was a decor expert too, but i am really a builder struggling with decor, but i see that those chairs could be a warm colour of something. Try making them a warm tan colour and see what happens. This will help the sunflowers to blend in more because right now they stand out a lot more then they should. I hope you dont mind cander comments.

I do love the way you put all the objects together to make an interesting eyecatching room. I think a slight recolouring and the the room will just be fabulous.

Actually svlyn, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you :). It seems like no one wants to criticise anyone, even if it is constructive. I knew something was off with the colors, just couldn't put my finger on it :)
  • svlynsvlyn Posts: 4,409 Member
    edited June 2011
  • SpatialHeatherSpatialHeather Posts: 34 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I feel like the chairs are too close to the bookshelf. I think it's because there is so much left over space between the chairs and the walls/doorway.
    I like when furniture is floated away from the walls, but I think here, they are too floated, and make the room feel a bit empty, even though there is a lot in it.
    I might also consider a loveseat or couch, just to finish fleshing out the space?
    But I really like the direction this is going, and the idea of the bookshelf as the focal point in the room. :)
  • ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited June 2011
    SimShine, adding to what the others have said, I'm not sure I like the screen in there because I'm thinking, What are you trying to hide with it? The stereo? I like the screen - I'm just not sure about it.

The main thing I would suggest may not be possible but if you can, I would replace the Jazz (saxophonist) art on the wall and whatever that piece of furniture is below it with a fireplace. A formal living room would have a fireplace if at all possible. That will help bring in some color and it could go with the tan chairs or whatever color you might change them to. If you have OLS, even that tiny fireplace could look really sweet here and visually, it's got a very small footprint.

It's a pretty room and it's coming along nicely. :D

Also, for the furniture you've chosen, the darkest part of your wall-coverings is too dark, I think. Have you tried a pale green there instead?
    edited June 2011
    I feel like the chairs are too close to the bookshelf. I think it's because there is so much left over space between the chairs and the walls/doorway.
    I like when furniture is floated away from the walls, but I think here, they are too floated, and make the room feel a bit empty, even though there is a lot in it.
    I might also consider a loveseat or couch, just to finish fleshing out the space?
    But I really like the direction this is going, and the idea of the bookshelf as the focal point in the room. :)

Yeah, I thought about putting another piece of seating or something in there because I thought that space looked a little empty but I couldn't find a space to put anything without it being in the way of something else. Hopefully pulling those chairs out will help some.
    edited June 2011
    Reachsims wrote:
    SimShine, adding to what the others have said, I'm not sure I like the screen in there because I'm thinking, What are you trying to hide with it? The stereo? I like the screen - I'm just not sure about it.

The main thing I would suggest may not be possible but if you can, I would replace the Jazz (saxophonist) art on the wall and whatever that piece of furniture is below it with a fireplace. A formal living room would have a fireplace if at all possible. That will help bring in some color and it could go with the tan chairs or whatever color you might change them to. If you have OLS, even that tiny fireplace could look really sweet here and visually, it's got a very small footprint.

It's a pretty room and it's coming along nicely. :D

Also, for the furniture you've chosen, the darkest part of your wall-coverings is too dark, I think. Have you tried a pale green there instead?

The screen is purely decoration :) I wasn't totally sure about it either but I think I might leave it just because it gives some dimension or something...I'll take it out and see how it looks, there's always the undo button :)

A fireplace is a great idea! I just put the bar there to close up some space. I do have Outdoor Living Stuff :) I'll try the pale green and see if it helps, I wasn't sure if a third color would clash with the blue. Thank you, Reachsims :) I'm glad people are actually giving me ideas!
  • CUTEBINACUTEBINA Posts: 3,478 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Looks Great to me! Adding more colours doesn't always make a space better :wink:
  • dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited June 2011
    Reachsims wrote:

I think you have a lovely room. I really love the shade of green you choose and the overall cool feel of the room. It's very relaxing. I was thinking the same thing about the screen--maybe its the style or wood color--I'm not sure, but I just don't like it.

Also if you go with a tan shade on the floors you could change the wall to an off white to soften it. But...I like the green chairs with the gray carpeting and white walls. I would just a)change the trim to soft white and make the walls a paler shade of the green on the chair, or b) make the walls a soft white and the trim either gray or pale green.

c)another idea--use the finish of the book case for the trim and wainscotting (?sp)
    edited June 2011
    I think I am on a similar wavelength here with Dreamsong. The wall-covering colors are too far from each other and I think you should look at a very sedate color combination with them. The bold variance you show in the OP is too loud (Read: modern) and does not fit with your lovely Queen Anne chairs.

Now, I am a bookworm, love solitude and so I am naturally drawn to this room. If you are going to go with eighteenth century chairs (I love them in the color you have them, by the way), I think you need a wood floor with throw rugs, not wall-to-wall carpeting.

Question: Do you own the screen from Regal Living? If you do, I am wondering if that screen might look better? I will check to see if you have a wish list.

I LOVE that you are open to true opinions and advice. If you heeded none of this advice, you still have created a very pretty room. :D
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I'm back and I started out by using everyone's suggestions but I thought maybe that would overtake the room, so I was hesitant. Turns out I was pleasantly surprised! I couldn't squeeze in a sofa or loveseat for lack of space but I did put another chair in by the door (had to move the front door but it all worked out!). I pulled the chairs out maybe a half square further from the bookshelf and it really helped fill out the room. I changed the main color on them to tan and it helped to neutralize the room. The pale green helped brighten up the space a lot, I think!

Here are some updated pictures:

pre4.jpg

pre5.jpg

pre6.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Reachsims wrote:
    I think I am on a similar wavelength here with Dreamsong. The wall-covering colors are too far from each other and I think you should look at a very sedate color combination with them. The bold variance you show in the OP is too loud (Read: modern) and does not fit with your lovely Queen Anne chairs.

Now, I am a bookworm, love solitude and so I am naturally drawn to this room. If you are going to go with eighteenth century chairs (I love them in the color you have them, by the way), I think you need a wood floor with throw rugs, not wall-to-wall carpeting.

Question: Do you own the screen from Regal Living? If you do, I am wondering if that screen might look better? I will check to see if you have a wish list.

I LOVE that you are open to true opinions and advice. If you heeded none of this advice, you still have created a very pretty room. :D

I probably will change the wall to wood pattern (probably leave it in the green though). I don't own anything from Regal Living, I don't think. I have a few item packs from the Store but mostly just kids' room items and none of it is installed in my game anymore. I think I may replace the floors with hardwood too because everything else that I have done in the house so far besides the kitchen and bathroom are done in hardwood so it would help this room blend a little beter.
    edited June 2011
    SimShine wrote:
    Here are some updated pictures:

pre4.jpg

pre5.jpg

pre6.jpg

Wow! What a difference! The room was very nice before, but now its truly WOW!

I think Reachsims had a good idea with the wood floors--my preferred floor covering as well. Very nice job!
    edited June 2011
    Reachsims idea was FABULOUS and totally changed the room...about to take pictures now!
    edited June 2011
    pre7.jpg

pre8.jpg

This room is exactly what I was aiming for now, and Reachsims and everyone else, you guys are brilliant, thank you so much! :) The wood floors are perfect and had I not added the fireplace, I would have never found the vintage airplane picture that's over the fireplace now, which I love! What do you all think? I had to change the chairs back to the pale teal/blue once I added all of that wood, there was just too much tan and not enough color.

Edited to add: What do you all think of the tan color above the wainscotting (the main color of the wall)?
    edited June 2011
    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Excellent!
    edited June 2011
    I am with Dreamsong! That is gorgeous. There is only one thing I might do, change the pictures on the wall on the right to anything that is framed with old-fashioned moldings.

With that, I think you have created a room that is a masterpiece.

It's gorgeous and I commend you for a beautiful room. :D
    edited June 2011
    Reachsims wrote:
    I am with Dreamsong! That is gorgeous. There is only one thing I might do, change the pictures on the wall on the right to anything that is framed with old-fashioned moldings.

With that, I think you have created a room that is a masterpiece.

It's gorgeous and I commend you for a beautiful room. :D

I took down the two pictures that went on either side of the doorway to the dining room completely and replace the mirror that was there with a picture with moldings :)
  • ZehLebowitzZehLebowitz Posts: 282
    edited June 2011
    I quite enjoyed going from picture to picture, watching the color palette evolve into what it is now. As of now, I'd like to suggest you consolidate the patterns of your rugs and upholstery to one specific influence. At the moment its a bit too eclectic, especially considering the room as a whole has a very distinct character. I'm noticing a few abstract and geometric rugs: these carry a sort of modern/greek personality which doesn't particularly fit.

I think your best pattern at the moment would be that nice fluer de lis on your chairs, and while I wouldn't say you should repeat that pattern on all of your rugs, I would like to suggest finding patterns that carry that kind of French personality.

This should help solidify the character of your room and help it shine out all the more.

[also: tiny nitpick! The airplane paintings need some CAS!]

• AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited June 2011
    I enjoyed watching the room evolve too. It's always best to have a good blend of warm colors and cool colors. Your room felt too cold before with all the blues, but changing it to the tan chairs, the wall covering, and a wood floor really balances the color palette out.

A few other things that comes to mind...

1) While I like the addition of the fireplace, I feel like it needs to be more of a focal point of the room. Instead of pointing the two chairs toward the bookcase, how about facing them toward the fireplace?

2) I am having a hard time getting over all the little rectangular rugs everywhere. I feel like they are trying to cover stains on the floor ore something. I would take those 3 small rugs out and put a larger rug in the center to define the seating area.

I love seeing improvement! :thumbup:
  • brunettesimgirlbrunettesimgirl Posts: 6,370 Member
    edited June 2011
    Very pretty! Good job! :mrgreen:
    eOI9EQ4.gif
    edited June 2011
    Thank you for your suggestions Anjubee and ZehLebowitz! I think I'm going to take it down to one large circular rug in a pattern that matches a little better :)
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited June 2011
    Looks really good. I especially like the fireplace area. Your entrance hall (near the stairway) looks a bit bare. Maybe you can put some flower pots, shoe rack (if you have generation) or the coat hanger (from the store)? You can also hang a wall clock on the wall. Otherwise looks great. :D