Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Holiday Decorations For People Who Don't Use CC

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!! I know a lot of us like decorating our Sims homes for the Holidays and with me I go nuts for Christmas stuff. The store doesn't offer much in this department, but that's OK I found ways to roll with it. I hate using cc, but I've found that other decorations can be re-purposed! Here's a few ideas for decorating your Sims homes without the hassle of third party cc!

1. The store does have some Holiday Stuff (I know you know)
2. If you have other sets, they can be re-colored to fit certain themes, I don't know what everyone has, but stop and consider the possibilities; in example I have the Romanza ceremony set, the chocolate fountain and tray of cupcakes are re-colorable so I used a gold, green and red theme to make mock holiday goodies!
3. When it comes to making Christmas magic with the Tree, don't sweat that the gifts aren't re-colorable, there are other things to put under there. The Kids toys, if you have ambitions or WA that adds to the list, there are some gift boxes in buydebug if you have ambitions and they can't be recolored, you'll also find lots of toys, gadgets and things that can be put under the tree in buydebug, and a simple moveobjects on cheat will let you sneak a bike under the tree.

If anyone else has any ideas, or knows an item that can be re-purposed feel free to share and post your decorations!

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited December 2010
    Hi Kail if you have ambitions this jackalope can also be found in buydebug and it looks like a reindeer so it goes great with Chrismas decorations from the store.
    Screenshot-321.jpg

The wedding bells in the storybook set can be recolored gold to make them look like Christmas bells.
    Screenshot-313.jpg

Screenshot-344-1.jpg
  • Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited December 2010
    WOW you're stuff looks great! I'm just finishing up my own things and thanks for the reply! I'll try to get a pic up right away!
    edited December 2010
    Screenshot-51.jpg

Screenshot-60.jpg

Screenshot-73.jpg

Screenshot-74.jpg

Screenshot-75.jpg
  • EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited December 2010
    Merry Christmas!!

screenshot_original.jpg"width=400"

just wanted to say thanks to jurik1124 for the snowflake pattern showing, and I hadn't realized that you could recolor
    the chocolate fountain; thanks for the tip!!

Post edited by Unknown User on
    oow785m
    edited December 2010
    Wow I didn't know we could recolor the chocolate fountain white. Great pictures op. Here is a table from the storybook set that can be recolored so I used some Christmas patterns on it. The chairs are also recolorable. Their either in the base game or WA.

Screenshot-343.jpg

The same table for Valentines Day
    Screenshot-292.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Merry Christmas!!

just wanted to say thanks to jurik1124 for the snowflake pattern showing, and I hadn't realized that you could recolor

Wow I didn't think about using the cupcake thing from the romanza set for Christmas but that really helps out.
    edited December 2010
    Has anyone figured out yet how we can make a make shift mistletoe from what we have in the game? You can't even get any mistletoe conversions on mod sites much less the sims 3 store. Maybe it will be included in a seasons ep which I think is next but until then I think there may be a way to use something in the game maybe the Charistmas swag but it still won't look right unless it's over a door.

You could always put your sims in front of the tree,have them kiss and just say there is some mistletoe above them.

Also with the slowdance I've figured out a way to fake it. I just have my sims amoursouly hug and say their slow dancing and I make sure I take a picture of the radio and musical notes.

It's ashame we have to fake the slowdance and mistletoe but it's better then nothing.
    edited December 2010
    Hi I just thought of something I forgot to mention. If your using the fireplace that you can change the color of the fire on I change the firecolor to green.

Also there are certain porch lights you can hang on the outside of a house and change the bulb color to. I usually go with red and green. I usually put two lights up on the outside of the house. In real life I use green and red porch light bulbs and green and red floodlights to decorate my house with at Christmas. It makes outdoor decorations and lighting look better.

Also with moveobjects on you can place the Christmas wreath from the sims 3 store around your mailbox.
    Screenshot-328.jpg
  • fulia_jfulia_j Posts: 602
    edited December 2010
    Wow, you guys have some great decorating ideas! The Romanza set seems to work really well!

I don't have any traditional Christmas decor screenshots, but one tip I can share is that you can use the wall covering that has the ribbon swags across the top as decor, if you were to make the ribbons red or green. I did that when I took my photos of the Grinch for cherryberrybloo's Dr. Pepper Christmas thread. I also re-coloured some of the inventions from buydebug to make them look like the whoville presents from the animated Grinch Special:

Screenshot-398.jpg?t=1292699310"width=600"

Screenshot-401.jpg"width=600"
    edited December 2010
    sneaky grench!! :mrgreen:

I colored my training dummy candy cane too, hehe 8)
    oow785m
    edited December 2010

Where did you get the candy can pattern around your doors?
    edited December 2010

base game, red and white diagonal stripe under geometric I think

here is the front door..

oow785m
    edited December 2010

base game, red and white diagonal stripe under geometric I think

Thanks that's a great idea. I may try this.
    edited December 2010

these are fun now!!!
    oow785m
    edited December 2010

these are fun now!!!

I'm so glad to everyone is enjoying these suggestions and I have to say, thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas, please by all means keep them coming!

Oh and I LOVE the chocolate fountain, it is fun to re-color! :lol:
    edited December 2010
    Hi I just thought of something I forgot to mention. If your using the fireplace that you can change the color of the fire on I change the firecolor to green.

Also there are certain porch lights you can hang on the outside of a house and change the bulb color to. I usually go with red and green. I usually put two lights up on the outside of the house. In real life I use green and red porch light bulbs and green and red floodlights to decorate my house with at Christmas. It makes outdoor decorations and lighting look better.

Also with moveobjects on you can place the Christmas wreath from the sims 3 store around your mailbox.
    Screenshot-328.jpg

I love your mailbox, very festive! I'm trying to find a light that will look good, like icicle lights, I think there may be one from Late Night that could work, but it may take a cheat code or two to get it on a wall.
    edited December 2010
    Thank you. The snowflakes on it are a custom pattern I downloaded. I'll post the link if you want them.

Snowflake pattern
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3470583
    edited December 2010
    Thank You :D
    edited December 2010
    I found out today that if you have world adventures and have the music box sims can open it up and it looks like their opening a gift.

Also I found out from another simmer if you click on it and have the sims listen they look all happy. If you place them in front of the tree with moveobjects on they look like their smiling and looking at the tree noticing how beautiful it looks. For married sims tell both to listen at the same time then with moveobjects on put them in front of the tree.
    edited December 2010
    Opening the musicbox looks like opening a Christmas present
    Screenshot-438-1.jpg

Screenshot-439-1.jpg

Then just have the one that opened the musicbox give the giver a friendly hug
    Screenshot-442-1.jpg
  • Jorge10dcJorge10dc Posts: 1,796 Member
    edited January 2011
    I love the chocolate fountain re-colourings :D
    Have to go try that now :D
    edited January 2011
    Glad to see this thread rebumped.
  • DeathNoteSimDeathNoteSim Posts: 4,544 New Member
    edited January 2011
    Merry Christmas!!

soooo cute <3<3:)
    edited January 2011
    *blushes, thank you sweetie! 8)
    oow785m
  • luckynicole659luckynicole659 Posts: 7,707 New Member
    edited January 2011
    I think its just dumb if you're not able to celebrate the actual holiday on the game. We need a santa and an easter bunny that actually comes at night.