The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Launcher won't update game

I check the new update in the launcher and click Update now and nothing happens. How do I update my game!?!

Comments

• Options
    kason68kason68 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited December 2010
    I kinda have the same problem. It says that my game is up to date but it says that I have version 6.0

UPDATE: Nevermind. I fixed it. userkitty1969, maybe try and update your EA Download Manager. You can find it on the EA site and you should have 7.1
  • Options
    userkitty1969userkitty1969 Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited December 2010
    I have the latest download manager, and my launcher shows the new patch. It just won't do anything when I click the update now button. After reading through some posts, I am in the middle of reinstalling everything, AGAIN! I am so sick and tired of reinstalling this game!!!!!!! I've had to do it so many times now, I've lost count. SOOOOOOO frustrating!!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I guess I'm out of luck because after the reinstall, it still won't patch. I contacted EA and they give me the old windows 7 64bit compatibility excuse, when my game runs perfectly and has always patched before. Is there no one who can help?
  • Options
    simjettsimjett Posts: 5,254 Member
    edited December 2010
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page

The first post at the above link has instructions on how to find the various skuversion.txt files. You can then determine which manual patches you need to download and install.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, yeah, I'm working on that as we speak and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I am just so tired of the generic excuse of "it's not us, it's you" excuse that EA gives for everything. And sometimes I'm sure it is us. But do they really expect us to believe that they are developing game that you basically need a gaming computer to run on a ten year old Windows ME operating system. Instead of taking responsibility, they use the "we haven't tested on Windows 7 64bit" excuse when they don't know what they're doing. It's pathetic, really!
  • Options
    Wreck_DiverWreck_Diver Posts: 691 Member
    edited December 2010
    The Sims 3, the EPs, the SPs and the patches are NOT compatible with Windows 7.

To patch a Windows 7 machine, download the manual patches to the desktop.

Once the patches are downloaded, right click on the consecutive files and select Troubleshoot Compatibility.

The system will scan the files and prompt you to install using Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode.

Make sure you clear your Windows Temp directory files and game cache files after updating.

Windows 7 users should NOT use auto-update because of this issue.
    There but for the Grace of God go I.

http://www.facebook.com/PublicSafetyDiver
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Once the patches are downloaded, right click on the consecutive files and select Troubleshoot Compatibility.

The system will scan the files and prompt you to install using Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode.

Make sure you clear your Windows Temp directory files and game cache files after updating.

Look on the Late Night box, it says Windows 7, so does Fast Lane, Ambitions, High End Loft And World Adventures.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It will run on a Windows 7 machine but the programs and patches are not Windows 7 compliant.

Feel free to analyze the patch compatibility yourself if you trust the advertising more than my advice.

• Options
    LiodannaLiodanna Posts: 10 New Member
    edited December 2010
    It will run on a Windows 7 machine but the programs and patches are not Windows 7 compliant.

Feel free to analyze the patch compatibility yourself if you trust the advertising more than my advice.

The Sims 3, all EPs and Stuff Packs and ALL patches have correctly installed via the Launcher and are running without any problems whatsoever on my Windows 7 laptop.
    I also know of at least four other people running the same set up with Win7 and not having any issues at all.
  • Options
    GrilledLambGrilledLamb Posts: 33
    edited December 2010

And where is your source to prove your claim? I would like to see it.

The game's box does say it supports Windows 7. How stupid would it be to release patches that are supposed to improve the game by making them not compatible with Windows 7?

At any rate, my very average laptop can even run this game fine on Windows 7 64 bit. The patch even made things better such as fixing the launcher crash and small other things. The game still glitches here and there, but nothing so detrimental as to say that the game is incompatible.
  • Options
    edited December 2010

The game's box does say it supports Windows 7. How stupid would it be to release patches that are supposed to improve the game by making them not compatible with Windows 7?

At any rate, my very average laptop can even run this game fine on Windows 7 64 bit. The patch even made things better such as fixing the launcher crash and small other things. The game still glitches here and there, but nothing so detrimental as to say that the game is incompatible.

As I explained in my instructions for those that have not done this, Windows 7 will warn that the patches are Not Compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 7 will instruct you to install the patches in Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatiblity mode. This is not an option during an automatic update using the game launcher.

Again, feel free to download the manual patch (any current one will do) and right click on it and select Troubleshoot Compatibility.

• Options
    edited December 2010

As I explained in my instructions for those that have not done this, Windows 7 will warn that the patches are Not Compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 7 will instruct you to install the patches in Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatiblity mode. This is not an option during an automatic update using the game launcher.

Again, feel free to download the manual patch (any current one will do) and right click on it and select Troubleshoot Compatibility.

I can select Troubleshoot Compatibility for any program and it will say to install in Windows XP service pack 2, even if it is made for windows 7.

Oh, and I am happy to hear that someone installed the patch using windows 7 64bit. I knew that wasn't causing the problem. I'd never had problems with patches before, or running the game for that matter. I run with all settings maxed out and don't have all the glitches. I did get the patches installed manually.
  • Options
    eilianeilian Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited December 2010

Just fyi, I run W7 64 bit and have never had a problem updating/patching through the launcher, except for when EADM needed updated and my firewall stuck its nose in and caused a hassle. :) Another of those sims 3 mysteries where some simmers have certain problems and others don't.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud. - Maya Angelou
  • Options
    SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited December 2010

This is incorrect; TS3 is fully Win7 compliant and compatible.

-Big Guy-