Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Putting the breaks on marriage!

Okay, this has never happened to me, is it new?

So my sim, Cayden, has been occasionally flirting with a coworker, Anjelo, for a few game weeks and finally has gotten the romance bar up halfway. (I usually go , Hi, flirt, flirt, be my boyfriend? Okay, let's get married, elope)

This tine I took it slow and finally Anjelo asked Cayden on a date! Cayden got so excited and they met at some small rustic bar where they shared their first kiss. Aww so romantic! Cayden then asked Anjelo to be hos boyfriend. Anjelo said yes! Yay! So then old habits took over and Cayden proposed! Of course I expected they usual 'sure let's do it' response, but... what I got.instead was Anjelo's response!

Anjelo said, and I quote: "Whoa, hold on...this is so sudden! We just shared our first kiss, and now you want to get married? What's the rush? Let's enjoy the moment; we can think about marriage later."

I...I am flabbergasted! Is this new??? Did they actually implement some sort of restraint in the game or something???

Comments

• SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I think it's been in the game for a long time, if not since the beginning. For me, it usually happens when my sim proposes immediately after a first kiss. I don't know anything about the inner workings of the game or its coding but I see it as a cooling off period.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member
    It's never happened in my game because my sims always have a long courtship but I've seen it mentioned on the forum plenty of times.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    I've had that happen many a time. What I have learned is they need to go on more than just one date, even if both bars are full. I was shocked the first time, but then just carried on to keep building on the relationship. Best of luck.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,868 Member
    I have that happen often :D Once I got mad and just used MCCC to "Marry" them :D

After 3 dates my sim still got refusal, then I gave up, clearly not meant to be :p

It was added in game pretty long time ago.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    It just struck me as odd because I usually do arranged marriages so long courtship is like I described above. If it takes more than a few real minutes, it's long. Lol
    It just struck me as odd because I usually do arranged marriages so long courtship is like I described above. If it takes more than a few real minutes, it's long. Lol

I used to do the same, flirt, flirt, first kiss, boyfriend/girlfriend, propose, elope. But now I take it slow with my sims. A new relationship milestone is reached per season. For example if they start dating in spring, then in summer, they get engaged. Sometimes I'll have them get married in the same season (summer for my example) or wait until the next. It depends on their work schedule and what I think the sim would want. I also tend to wait for them to roll the want to get engaged or married.
    edited June 2023
    Okay I waited 1 sim day, took Cayden to work, proposed to Anjelo and they got married right there in the lab. That night was Night on the Town so I sent them out to eat and they are currently in the dumpster trying for a baby. Fun times.

As an added bonus, the waiter just came out to play in the mud puddle right beside the dumpster. Lol
    gvzzFd3.pngqT9Th4t.jpeguNTkA18.jpeg

Cayden is the one with the short coveralls and Anjelo has red hair.
    Post edited by PenguinFoop on
    Two failed attempts at pregnancy and no pregnancy from abduction...
  • EleriEleri Posts: 545 Member
    I've had that happen many a time. What I have learned is they need to go on more than just one date, even if both bars are full.

You don't need another date, you just need to wait for the cool-off period after the first kiss to elapse. They don't even need to see each other in the mean time. You can do:

-First Kiss on Monday
    -"Bye now"
    -Spend all Tuesday playing Blickblock or studying Vampire Lore or whatever
    -Call sweetie over on Wednesday
    -"Hi again. Marry me!"
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
    Eleri wrote: »
    I've had that happen many a time. What I have learned is they need to go on more than just one date, even if both bars are full.

You don't need another date, you just need to wait for the cool-off period after the first kiss to elapse. They don't even need to see each other in the mean time. You can do:

-First Kiss on Monday
    -"Bye now"
    -Spend all Tuesday playing Blickblock or studying Vampire Lore or whatever
    -Call sweetie over on Wednesday
    -"Hi again. Marry me!"

Yeah, I just gave them about 24 game hours and proposed again. I don't remember ever having to wait that long before though. It seemed like it was literally 1-2-3-marry me.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,843 Member
    Haha yes I've gotten that before Neighborhood Stories came out, when I used to have to do tedious rounds of story progression myself. Tried to hurry a few NPC marriages along too fast.
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    The only thing they changed/removed was a partner refusing when the other gets on their knees to pull out the ring.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited June 2023
    That recently happened to me, too - literally, my sim lover asked my simself to be his girlfriend, who then said the exact same thing. It was the first time I ever saw that reaction. But as I said, it was just about starting an official relationship, not getting married, and I blamed it on her/me being unflirty. It did actually work the next time he asked.
    edited June 2023
    The only thing they changed/removed was a partner refusing when the other gets on their knees to pull out the ring.

Wait, what do you mean by the bolded part? Do you mean that the animation of the proposal was taken out so the refusal comes before the actual kneel?

Wait, what do you mean by the bolded part? Do you mean that the animation of the proposal was taken out so the refusal comes before the actual kneel?

My experience has been the sim will push the ring away or do the hand wave thing they do with unwanted flirt interactions (can't remember which animation) after the other has proposed.
  • EleriEleri Posts: 545 Member
    edited June 2023
    @SweetieWright_84 My sim proposed to Alice Martin in first person mode once. It was terrifying. She went into a towering rage and knocked the ring out of his hand like it was an insect.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
    Eleri wrote: »
    @SweetieWright_84 My sim proposed to Alice Martin in first person mode once. It was terrifying. She went into a towering rage and knocked the ring out of his hand like it was an insect.

Wow! Lol
    @Eleri wrote: »
    SweetieWright_84 My sim proposed to Alice Martin in first person mode once. It was terrifying. She went into a towering rage and knocked the ring out of his hand like it was an insect.

Wow! Lol

Yeah, wow! That's a bit harsh.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Okay, this has never happened to me, is it new?

So my sim, Cayden, has been occasionally flirting with a coworker, Anjelo, for a few game weeks and finally has gotten the romance bar up halfway. (I usually go , Hi, flirt, flirt, be my boyfriend? Okay, let's get married, elope)

This tine I took it slow and finally Anjelo asked Cayden on a date! Cayden got so excited and they met at some small rustic bar where they shared their first kiss. Aww so romantic! Cayden then asked Anjelo to be hos boyfriend. Anjelo said yes! Yay! So then old habits took over and Cayden proposed! Of course I expected they usual 'sure let's do it' response, but... what I got.instead was Anjelo's response!

Anjelo said, and I quote: "Whoa, hold on...this is so sudden! We just shared our first kiss, and now you want to get married? What's the rush? Let's enjoy the moment; we can think about marriage later."

I...I am flabbergasted! Is this new??? Did they actually implement some sort of restraint in the game or something???

I wonder if Anjelo has the noncommittal trait......
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.