Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do YOU keep track of your Sims?

NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
Simple question (or maybe not). How do you keep track of your Sims, their achievements, their goals, their memories, their relationships, their stories?

Do you have spreadsheets?
Is your screenshot folder crammed? (If so, do you organize it and how??)
Do you have a forum thread? A blog?
Are there things out there I haven't heard or thought of?

Let me know!!!

Comments

• Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    Notepad and spreadsheet. Notepad for raw data like names and generation, spreadsheet for compiled/calculated data like how many males, females, occults, etc.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited June 2023
    I have given each sim a tag in my blog and written info there. I also added some info in the plumbob app. My screenshots are organized by households/family lines and also by year don't know how to best explain it. But if a family lived in certain neighourhood (or another deciding factor) 2019-2021 then the folder name would start with those years.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I don't.

I have Danish forum threads at https://dksimlinger.danskforum.net.

It looks like sims tend to show up as visitors or in front of homes when they would like some attention. :)
  • Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

It's very easy with tumblr and tags. I even can track events from almost 10 years ago (that's when I started my simblr there).
    When I create a post, I tag the name of the sim, the location, the world, the event...
    And I have a list there with the links to my most used tags.
    So if I want to know everything that had happened around Strawberry Cake Fashion, for example, I open the list and click on the link that leads to the chrono or I enter the tag in my search.
    Plus I have my archives there. If I want to know what happened in June 2016 I can find it with 2 clicks.
    ecc0da850ed5717e788272d606950085f74c9641.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I store all my screenshots on a usb. There they are all organized by month and year. I used Imgur and other photo sites but never know if one day they’ll just go blank
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    For rotating, I use two WordPad docs: one for the sims' stats (age, traits, career, likes/dislikes, etc.) and the other for little notes (i.e. "Bella is pregnant (pregnancy paused)", "Hire a butler for the Landraabs") and rotation info. The notes also has whether aging is on/off for a specific round and which rotation I'm on.

I tried spread sheets but I didn't like them as well. Plus, because I used Google docs, I always forgot to update them after a play session. With my method above, I can have both of those docs open on my second monitor and add to them as I go.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Okay, you're going to call me a crazy control freak, but that's fine, it's not like I don't already know...

I only really play one save, and to keep track of its population, I have a very big Excel file that lists all sims alphabetically by name, along with information about their gender, career, traits, etc. Here's an example, I split it in two screenshots to make it easier to read, but it's really one long row per sim.

bonnie014xfvg.jpg

bonnie020hio8.jpg

Explanation: Bonnie Bumblebee is a female human, young adult, lives in Brindleton Bay, is neither a celebrity nor a ghost, works as a an environmental manager, her traits are Childish, Geek, and Loves the Outdoors, no university degrees or club memberships at this time.

Since I play with ageing, free will and neighbourhood stories off, not much ever changes without my approval. When somebody does move, change jobs or occult status, I update their entry accordingly. Cats and dogs are also listed, but not small pets or farm animals. One thing I do not keep track of is aspirations and bonus traits because I change them on the fly. I also don't care about relationships, but there's a separate tab in this same file listing all the households and their members.

There's a reason I'm using numbers instead of X's or check marks for the species and gender entries. It's for the statistics at the bottom of the list. I only learned much later that Excel can also count words, not just numbers, which means this list could be a lot less bloated, but it is what it is now. And it will get even more bloated if my language (German) ever gets the pronoun update, because then I might add a third gender option. At the moment, sims with custom gender settings are categorised based on the pronoun the game uses for them.

The statistics also tell me how many sims and households live in each world (Newcrest is currently number one with 32 played residents, but San Myshuno has more households), and how many sims are in each age group (unsurprisingly, almost half of my played sims are young adults, and there are currently no toddlers in my world). Sooner or later I'll add career statistics as well because I'd like to see which ones I use the most.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2023
    Excel Spread sheet.
    Simmimg moments thread:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/918301/ck213s-ts4-favorite-simming-moments-the-bella-goth-chat-pg-21/p1

Photobucket broke image links to the first twelve pages, so I have to repair it.
    Progress is slow.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I use a spiral bound notebook, and have a story (or 2) running on Carl's Forum.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,806 Member
    I only have two saves at the moment and both of them are SimLit stories. I have a thread in Creative Corner for each one and I keep a notebook handy where I keep track of little things like book titles my novelist sim writes. Titles of movies and tv shows all my actress sims perform in and any other little tidbits my mind thinks might be important later on. I have a few thousand screenshots saved on my Imgur page too.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,942 Member
    edited June 2023
    Do you have spreadsheets?
    - Nope

Is your screenshot folder crammed? (If so, do you organize it and how??)

- I have folder for every potential story for example with Vlad Returns I have folders
    Vlad
    > Spare
    > CH

all screenshots of vlad household go to Vlad folder

then spare gets all the duplicate screenshots or pictures that don't really apply to story moving forward

CH I always throw in things after ive posted them and then CH is transferred to memory stick folder with number whatever
    and i make new CH folder for next time i post

on memorystick I have

Book of Shallow Stories
    > Vlad Returns (or whichever story it is)
    >> CH 1
    >> CH 2

etc. with backups to everything i have actually posted and also a text file for particular post
    and if its say new story idea
    then i probably just have one folder like "Greg" or whatever and throw in all the screens as I play with Greg hoping to eventually find a way to write it

hopefully sooner rather than later so I still have some idea what i was up to lmao

this is why i sometimes end up with overwhelming amounts of screenshots to sort through cause i just keep playing and not writing :sweat_smile:

and obviously before any screens it all just lives in my head rent free :lol: I make memos sometimes on phone like " this and this happens to this sim at some point in time" " this sim meets that sim" "this happens before that" but i try to avoid doing too much of it since i have tendency to scheme too much

Do you have a forum thread?

- yeah I have the one in my signature where i throw links to all my story threads and related and then theres the actual story threads
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I don’t keep written track at all. Even though I have a terrible memory for things that don’t interest me, I just keep the stories for my hundreds of sims in my head.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • KestrelDCKestrelDC Posts: 335 Member
    I have a flowchart for the families and lineages in my occult save, all in one chart
    wfyfk3mg6t02.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I have a spreadsheet to keep track of the households and which season to play which house next. So if I played a family in spring on the 1st rotation I would have them in summer the next.

Then I have a PowerPoint doc for each household. This contains a pic and facts about each sim in the household and then division slides for each season with a short piece detailing what happened in that season followed by screenshots.

I also make fancier slides for special events, eg for a wedding I would do something that looks kind of like an invitation with the location and guest list detailed on it.
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    I mostly don't. But since I want story progression, what I do is every week or so of game time I'll pop out of playing my legacy family and note which sims have become teens so I can go in and fix their outfits and any really unfortunate genetic mishaps, and I'll make a list of sims that are young adult or older and single, and I'll pair some of them off.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I don't keep track of anything, at least not in a spreadsheet or some other means outside of the game. I play with aging off and neighbourhood stories progression off and play them in random rotation and my game is rather slow paced. I remember all their stories because I've played them a lot. For achievements I keep some of the rewards and collections and incorporate them into their home decor, for memories they take pictures. My screenshots folder is crammed and organized chronologically, last picture at the top. Any one of my sims can be drafted to help test out my builds or set up a shop so there may be some minor diversions from their main story but I treat those as vacations or side interests.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    A stuffed screenshot folder, labeled Foto stories, organized by game save number and sim/household under that. Many shots are captioned so it works like a graphic novel. Only spreadsheet is for the assorted packs so know what is on which machine. Otherwise, just assorted note scraps kept in a folder, though some were in a notebook.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    For Sims 2, I would write down families that I made. Nothing super detailed, just the name and gender of the Sim, and what hair and eye color I gave them.
    I referenced that when I made a save file to redo some of them for Sims 4.
    Now, I just get an idea, and wing it, and don't really keep track of them.
  • KestrelDCKestrelDC Posts: 335 Member
    https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVMYR6RnY=/?share_link_id=360763821681 Here's that flowchart I mentioned just to show what I meant
    wfyfk3mg6t02.jpg
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I don’t keep written track at all. Even though I have a terrible memory for things that don’t interest me, I just keep the stories for my hundreds of sims in my head.

Oops! I just remembered I had a family tree in Family Echo for my crazy Keene-Friend family, which has like 100 second cousins and such!

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    Everyone's method of record keeping is impressive!

It's pretty easy for me. I only have one main family so it's not difficult at all to keep track of them. My one family is completing all the aspirations, careers, traits, etc and I document it all in a thread in Creative Corner.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1005742/my-super-sim-family-challenge/p1

Each family member has an introductory post with all their traits, completed aspirations, careers, degrees, clubs, skills, and owned businesses. Although the businesses are owned by the entire family I'll list it under the family member who operates it. I update when another achievement is completed.

• SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    The only records I keep are the posts I make in the What Happened in Your Game today read. Once a save gets big and unwieldy, I do another one. The only time I've made an album for Sims photos was when I did a self-Sim to start The Sims 2, and I followed his large family until the neighborhood was corrupted. I can still remember "my" grandchildren's names -- some of them, anyway.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited June 2023
    I keep pretty extensive 'notes', I guess.

First of all, the spreadsheet. I have an aging spreadsheet. I keep every single member of my family in that spreadsheet. I track what age stage they are in, how old in years, when they're supposed to age up (and age them up accordingly, because the game likes to wait two more days), what date a sim died, cause of death, what life state they are, romantic orientation, gender... Next to that, I have a bunch of charts and tables so I can see the big numbers at a glance.

It basically looks like this:

afbeelding-2023-06-07-130752547.png

afbeelding-2023-06-07-131106470.png

afbeelding-2023-06-07-131046071.png

Next to my spreadsheet, I use the Plum Tree App to keep track of my whole family tree. I play a Not So Berry challenge, so I put the challenge objectives and accomplishments in the bio there.

Overview:

afbeelding-2023-06-07-131338126.png

If you want to look at it in-depth:

https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/5ce66907bd39c600069627cb

I also track the family branch I play in a family tree on Miro for a prettier overview:

afbeelding-2023-06-07-131607551.png

My Sims screenshots I sort by generation. I rotate through some different families and I know where to go next by looking at my screenshots. The ones I've played the longest ago will have older screenshots. I post my screenshots with my story on Twitter with a hashtag and on Tumblr with multiple tags.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    I’m old school. In my main rotational save which is pretty big, I have an index card for each of my sims with their traits ( I used to jeep track of skill levels, friends etc. but that got too time consuming to keep changing skills and friends ). I keep my index cards with families paper clipped together and have a recipe organizer where I can further organize each family by the world they live in. Much of the other information is keep in my head. I feel so close to my sims and keep aging off most of the time. Their characters are in my head as to who they are and what their focus and goals are.
  • blazerntqblazerntq Posts: 2,409 Member
    This thread is awesome. I just started to play the Sims again and I was thinking about taking notes. I am not very techie so I was just going to use paper and keep notes in a folder.