Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

JOB POSTING: Multiplayer Gameplay Software Engineer

Comments

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Well, it looks as if EA has no intention of giving up on its dream of spreading The Sims franchise across every platform out there in spite of its lack of success with this in the past. Could this be for a mobile or console version of Sims5 that will be released at the same time as the PC/Mac versions? Or Sims5 will have the option of being played with other players? Either way it is a bold move on EA's part when so many people have expressed their displeasure with the idea of Sims5 being a multi-player game. Personally, I am not in favor of this approach, but everyone has their own opinions and desires on what they want to see in Sims5. And is one more reason why I won't be staying with the franchise once Sims4 is shelved. Rather than ensuring the release of a robust and fully featured base game, EA is looking at a way to bring in even more unsuspecting new customers. In my opinion, this is a bit like putting the cart before the horse that all but guarantees yet another bare bones base game that will take years to flesh out and hundreds of dollars being spent on DLC that may or may not be better than what we have seen in Sims4. And I am not on board with that plan. When we have broken features that go all the way back to the beginning of Sims4 that have never been fixed, it says a lot about where EA's priorities are, and those priorities are clearly not in the players' corner.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    It's a good thing that Paralives and Life By You are coming...I'm just fed up with EA not listening to us when we tell them what we want. Ever since I saw the videos of Life By You,I've pretty much lost interest in Sims 4.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,185 Member
    edited May 2023
    What's so bad about this? We know the new game is going to be multiplayer mode ?There nothing bad about this?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    We all knew multiplayer was coming it just gets no better when you hear it again. No matter what Sims 5 will be the first time I don't get base game on release between Sims 4 limitations because it started as multiplayer and getting a repeat with it actually implemented trust is at an all time low for me and I'm sure many others.

Early Sims 4 was online will we get "smarter" Sims again who are only able to stand around and chat because once again the game was designed to be online. They spoke on Rene publicly then went back into dead silence mode again so no one knows how much online is going to limit us we're worried and rightfully so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2IPZDJ-pt0
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Perhaps the new multiplayer engineer can bring the EA App online and make it recognize European Credit cards :).
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    But I thought it was confirmed it's going to be multi-player in the way that you can invite a friend into your game?
    Not like roblox style multi-player?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Would be interesting to know what improvements to player experience would multi-player gameplay bring. Maybe they have totally given up on creating smart sims and are now trying to get people to role-play as avatars instead.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know what improvements to player experience would multi-player gameplay bring. Maybe they have totally given up on creating smart sims and are now trying to get people to role-play as avatars instead.

Maybe, but wouldn't that just be a PG version of Second Life then?
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. We've known for a while now that TS5 will have multiplayer, and that nobody HAS to play with anyone else if they don't choose to do so. Nothing will change for single player simmers, they just add the possibility to play with friends/family for those who want it. Can't see myself playing Sims with others, but plenty of people do.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    When they said single player did they confirm offline? When they said Cloud save, did they say also pc saves would be possible? I don't recall they confirmed offline nor pc saves in the earlier info about Rene Project. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised they need someone to facilitate the multiplayer side of Rene. But I believe a divided house can't stand, one side of the game will get more attention and budget than the other side, so, I know any multiplayer feature will certainly take away from any budget for the single player side of a game. Considering how much people feel about the lack of 'gameplay' in TS4 I'm not sure Maxis can pull off a multiplayer/single player game if that is where they are headed.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    They did not say anything about the game being Offline or online. We know nothing about how the game will be formatted. All we can do is guess, at this point. I have my doubts and will look at other games as they release information too. In my mind the entire Sims 4 decade is a dark time never to be repeated in the Sims Universe. The game is a degradation compared to previous versions. Yet, you all purchased it and funded a decade of this. Now, I'm just glad we have competition coming, and If I don't like Sims Rene, bye bye.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
    What are examples of single-player games that force you to be online to play?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • RockingBox158RockingBox158 Posts: 9 New Member
    I hope it's not mainly an online game.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member

I can only think of 1 off the top of my head, Raft. Which does have co-op, but also playing solo, you need to have an internet connection for certain features/game mechanics to function.
    But I thought it was confirmed it's going to be multi-player in the way that you can invite a friend into your game?
    Not like roblox style multi-player?

It was fans are complaining about nothing.We were told there was going to be like a typical one that you invite friends to your game.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    When they said single player did they confirm offline? When they said Cloud save, did they say also pc saves would be possible? I don't recall they confirmed offline nor pc saves in the earlier info about Rene Project. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised they need someone to facilitate the multiplayer side of Rene. But I believe a divided house can't stand, one side of the game will get more attention and budget than the other side, so, I know any multiplayer feature will certainly take away from any budget for the single player side of a game. Considering how much people feel about the lack of 'gameplay' in TS4 I'm not sure Maxis can pull off a multiplayer/single player game if that is where they are headed.

Except that is not true.Due to the fact that confirm multiplayer mode is just regular multiplayer.That Single player and multiplayer mode will be the same game.Just that in multiplayer you can have your friends over.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2023

Except that is not true.Due to the fact that confirm multiplayer mode is just regular multiplayer.That Single player and multiplayer mode will be the same game.Just that in multiplayer you can have your friends over.

What part of my questions are not true? Or did you mean people don't feel TS4 lacks gameplay? Wouldn't it be true that an MMO would need a budget to develop and single player game would need a budget? When it comes to implementing those things wouldn't one get more money or cuts and or sacrifices more than the other sometimes? I think so. I don't see how that wouldn't be true sometimes.

All you have to do is listen to what devs have told us for the last nine years about TS4. Things were left out, cut, or couldn't be implemented because of budget when they were deciding to what to include or add later and or in order to keep all disciplines employed and or busy all at the same time. How many times have we read and heard from them this they have to decide in development what is cost effective and therefore a lot of things people wanted and or when they wanted it wasn't done. Do you really believe the online adventures of this new game won't suffer and or the single player side won't suffer when it comes to bug fixes and or new gameplay for each? TS4 certainly did. And still does depending on what they want to add and what we ask for sometimes. Seriously they need money to develop how another player can play with friends therefore what will that affect on the single player side when those things have to be done and developed and refreshed and broadened etc.? It stands to reason.

ETA: I'm not saying the new game won't be fun for those who want that sort of thing. However, EA's rep with MMOs and or co-ops and or any other type online game sharing isn't the best in my humble opinion. It's not surprising that long time fans have told them for twenty years no game sharing, no online only, no MMORPGS and or MMOs for The Sims. But yet, here we are as we watch them try it again. Some long time players will like the game sharing experience, but I think I know where the rest of us will be playing.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited June 2023
    It's not

What part of my questions are not true? Or did you mean people don't feel TS4 lacks gameplay? Wouldn't it be true that an MMO would need a budget to develop and single player game would need a budget? When it comes to implementing those things wouldn't one get more money or cuts and or sacrifices more than the other sometimes? I think so. I don't see how that wouldn't be true sometimes.

All you have to do is listen to what devs have told us for the last nine years about TS4. Things were left out, cut, or couldn't be implemented because of budget when they were deciding to what to include or add later and or in order to keep all disciplines employed and or busy all at the same time. How many times have we read and heard from them this they have to decide in development what is cost effective and therefore a lot of things people wanted and or when they wanted it wasn't done. Do you really believe the online adventures of this new game won't suffer and or the single player side won't suffer when it comes to bug fixes and or new gameplay for each? TS4 certainly did. And still does depending on what they want to add and what we ask for sometimes. Seriously they need money to develop how another player can play with friends therefore what will that affect on the single player side when those things have to be done and developed and refreshed and broadened etc.? It stands to reason.

ETA: I'm not saying the new game won't be fun for those who want that sort of thing. However, EA's rep with MMOs and or co-ops and or any other type online game sharing isn't the best in my humble opinion. It's not surprising that long time fans have told them for twenty years no game sharing, no online only, no MMORPGS and or MMOs for The Sims. But yet, here we are as we watch them try it again. Some long time players will like the game sharing experience, but I think I know where the rest of us will be playing.

It's not true because they confirm it's not mmo.It won't because it's not mmo.They confirm it's not mmo or anything like that. Have you ever play a game with a multiplayer mode?This will just have an optional multiplayer .Where your inviting your friends .How it's works you inviting your friend with a code.Than wayla there in your game.This is not going to be you going to online server

You acting like these are two separate games.This not them making an online server.This them working on the same game.
    edited June 2023
    Build unique content for a game that supports a large demographic of simulation player patterns

This one is extremely concerning. I believe they will over-engineer this to death. They'll have UX researchers and data engineers look at how Sims 4 players play the game to analyze the large patterns of player behavior. Sims 5 will be built based on the "large demographic" aka popular play patterns.

Basing play patterns on the Sims 4 is fundamentally flawed as many people have been forced to modify their play styles due to a different, partially functioning, and arguably less fun installment of the franchise.

Examples:
    (1) Building more in the Sims 4 does NOT mean this is a play pattern. One should consider people build more in the Sims 4 because perhaps they find live mode boring and wouldn't otherwise if they had (in their view) enriching gameplay

(2) Focus on challenges: shell challenge, 100 baby challenge etc. Challenges quickly became popular for many since the early Sims 4 era to compensate for lackluster gameplay. So many creative player interventions to "spice up gameplay" or make the game fun again

In other words. play patterns of the Sims 4 are a direct consequence of the strengths and weaknesses of the Sims 4. Players have been limited by the game, so don't assume these are core player play styles....and CERTAINLY don't build the Sims 5 based on the play patterns of the Sims 4!
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member

Within the past week, Diablo 4. Single player is not available unless you're connected to Blizzard's servers. And, those servers have had massive authentication issues, locking out a bunch of people who have zero interest in multiplayer.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I think we're ready to have another Sim City (5) vs. Cities: Skylines scenario. And ironically, it looks like Paradox will be at the forefront of it, alongside Paralives and a few other lesser-known games.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Guys, how much drama. The development conditions for The Sims 4 were different, the game was conceived on a low budget. The Sims 5 is a high-budget triple-A game, as every job opening has indicated.

Online multiplayer will be optional, as guaranteed by grant. He said that if you want to play online, you can do it whenever you want, and if you want to play offline, you can do it whenever you want.
    tenor.gif
    edited June 2023
    Guys, how much drama. The development conditions for The Sims 4 were different, the game was conceived on a low budget. The Sims 5 is a high-budget triple-A game, as every job opening has indicated.

Online multiplayer will be optional, as guaranteed by grant. He said that if you want to play online, you can do it whenever you want, and if you want to play offline, you can do it whenever you want.

It’s not causing “drama” to be skeptical about the development of Sims 5 Rene. You don’t have to share our skepticism; please don’t suggest we are being dramatic.

To address the points of your comment: being a high-budget, triple-A game does not make the game immune to poor decisions. I’ve also never heard of Sims 4’s base game being low budget…only that the game was built as a heavily multiplayer experience under Project Olympus before being quickly changed last minute due to Sim City. Do you have a source you can share on the low budget bit?

Moreover, people are aware that multiplayer is optional. Some don’t want any development of multiplayer at all. Pointing out its optionality is going to do little to sway people’s feelings on the matter. Again, you don’t have to share our skepticism. But it’s becoming a common refrain on these forums to challenge people’s skepticism by pointing out that multiplayer is optional.

Speaking for myself, I have no problem with an optional multiplayer IF and only IF the core single-player is fully fleshed-out, treated with care, does not cut corners, or lack core base game features of the previous games. My skepticism lies in the possibility of that.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member

It’s not causing “drama” to be skeptical about the development of Sims 5 Rene. You don’t have to share our skepticism; please don’t suggest we are being dramatic.

To address the points of your comment: being a high-budget, triple-A game does not make the game immune to poor decisions. I’ve also never heard of Sims 4’s base game being low budget…only that the game was built as a heavily multiplayer experience under Project Olympus before being quickly changed last minute due to Sim City. Do you have a source you can share on the low budget bit?

Moreover, people are aware that multiplayer is optional. Some don’t want any development of multiplayer at all. Pointing out its optionality is going to do little to sway people’s feelings on the matter. Again, you don’t have to share our skepticism. But it’s becoming a common refrain on these forums to challenge people’s skepticism by pointing out that multiplayer is optional.

Speaking for myself, I have no problem with an optional multiplayer IF and only IF the core single-player is fully fleshed-out, treated with care, does not cut corners, or lack core base game features of the previous games. My skepticism lies in the possibility of that.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide you with every article released over the last 10 years which talks about the development of The Sims 4, and which corroborates that the game was initially developed as a low-budget product.

But I can send you the link to the very first article that talked about the troubled development of The Sims 4. The person responsible for providing the first information was Patrick Kelly, who, curiously, was also the first person who leaked the first images of the game.

https://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/63437610043/more-corroboration-for-patrick-kelly-the-sims-4

Patrick Kelly, at one point in the article, said: "EA isn’t “the evil empire” or anything like that. The Sims label especially is full of really talented creative people who will more than likely deliver an awesome TS4 game in 2014. Generally the problems come from upper management who control the budget. There is a constant struggle between the designers and producers trying to get every great new feature possible into the game and the management who want to cut costs and get the game out as soon as possible."

This was just one of the indications that The Sims 4 could have problems related to its budget. Over the years, other articles that talked about the game's development also reinforced this point even more.

When The Sims 4 launched in 2014, it didn't look like a high-budget game. The game was a huge mess of design choices, not to mention the massive amount of missing features. Everything about the game indicated an extremely troubled development. Even the game did not understand itself. This was all in the eyes of anyone who played at the time.

You're right about what you said about triple-A games, and really, they aren't immune to bad decisions. But I think bad decisions are also very much related to developmental conditions (Though that may not always be the case).

After the catastrophic, failed, and controversial launch of The Sims 4, if there's one thing I'm pretty sure of, it's that the game's producers don't want a repeat with The Sims 5.

While development on The Sims 4 was a big mess, development on The Sims 5 appears to be well on its way. There's a lot of hiring going on all the time, and they're hiring a lot of people who specialize in very specific areas, like multiplayer.

When I see people say they don't want online multiplayer in The Sims 5 even though it's optional, I also see a lot of prejudice. Of course, I'm not generalizing, not all comments about not wanting multiplayer have to do with prejudice, but many of them are. Many are from people who don't even play, have or had experience with online multiplayer games, but are there saying they don't want to.

The Sims 5 will still be a game about storytelling. But now we will be able to tell and create stories with our friends. And I think that's just brilliant, mainly because it's going to be optional.

I understand that many people are concerned about a bad single player experience if there is too much focus on multiplayer, but honestly, I don't think there will be many differences between the modes, it will be pretty much the same thing.

The fact that online multiplayer is a controlled experience, where I can play with a few friends, is something that puts me at ease, because I always wanted multiplayer that way.

tenor.gif
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Somehow I have the feeling that the vast majority of Sims players has no Sims-playing friends. But perhaps I'm wrong.