Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope we get open worlds in this game.

I think we need open worlds .The sims 4 worlds look nice,but there limited and give less player control .

Comments

• pacer1965pacer1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Yes I agree it needs an open world. I loved the open world in sims 3
  • lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    This is the one make-or-break component for me. If it's not open world, I will not be buying it. I have invested too much money into sims4 to switch to another generation that would basically offer the same thing. Open world is the only thing that will sway me to buy it, hence why I am looking forward very much to paralives. The fact that project rene (why the weird name?) hasn't confirmed whether it will be/won't be, that I have seen anyway, makes me very concerned that it will not be open world. I know they are in early stages but so are paralives. Paralives is very open about where they are at in the process and their confirmed features which open world is. The main thing that sims 5 has been confirming and pushing is the multiplayer component which the majority of their players have said they really don't want. I have read that it is optional, thank god for that, because I don't want the multiplayer component in my game.
  • djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    lovemy4s wrote: »
    This is the one make-or-break component for me. If it's not open world, I will not be buying it. I have invested too much money into sims4 to switch to another generation that would basically offer the same thing. Open world is the only thing that will sway me to buy it, hence why I am looking forward very much to paralives. The fact that project rene (why the weird name?) hasn't confirmed whether it will be/won't be, that I have seen anyway, makes me very concerned that it will not be open world. I know they are in early stages but so are paralives. Paralives is very open about where they are at in the process and their confirmed features which open world is. The main thing that sims 5 has been confirming and pushing is the multiplayer component which the majority of their players have said they really don't want. I have read that it is optional, thank god for that, because I don't want the multiplayer component in my game.

^ This ^ The whole sum of this statement sums up the whole of how I feel. Priceless! and Thank you! for taking my thoughts/feelings about purchasing Sims 5, and Para lives, and putting it into words. I cannot fathom investing another dime into a brand new iteration that doesn't advance further that what we currently have. We have advanced too far in the gaming world to have Open World at the start/base of Sims 5. Anything less shows me that EA cares zero for what we as players have expressed wanting and needing.
  • RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit Posts: 134 Member
    Exactly! I’m still astounded at the fact that they keep trying to shove multiplayer in, even though that’s what killed SimCity and held back the Sims 4 during development, and even now. Meanwhile, they totally ignore open world, a feature that was a huge and treasured part of past iterations.

If they can’t implement a feature they had over a decade ago, to a new game utilizing better technology, that’s honestly kind of embarrassing for them.
  • SimlingtonSimlington Posts: 26 Member
    Eh, I didn't like the wasted time traveling from one end of the city to the other. I would be happy with open neighbourhoods, so you can walk from the gym to a cafe next door without a loading screen. If it is more open world I hope they can balance the length of a day and the travel time better.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Open World and Open Neighborhoods are the same and the difference is one is on a smaller scale, however I will take any of them. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Open World and Open Neighborhoods are the same and the difference is one is on a smaller scale, however I will take any of them. :)

I will even take open neighborhoods.
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    Open Neighborhoods would be acceptable. Either way, I hope you can travel between worlds like in TS4. It would make it a viable option to have hotel lots in another expansion. That way you can rent a room if your business in the other world/ neighborhood is not over in a day, and you want to sleep. With Sims 4 and needing to go to a loading screen ever time you switch lots, it would kind of be a waste. And in TS3 you couldn't travel between worlds without mods. I don't use rentable lots in non-vacation only worlds for this reason. But an open world, or open neighborhood, with the ability to travel between them, would make sense.

It would also be possible to do smaller, neighborhood sized worlds. As long as players could build custom worlds, and use larger ones if their systems can handle it. I am very tired of TS4 with its shells and fake stuff all over. I think create a world, to some extent, is a requirement.
    I'd like if it was incorporated into the game more than TS3's was, and easier to use. But even if it's a separate program with difficult to understand graphics tools, it won't be long before cc creators begin using it and sharing their creations.

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd be happy with open world or open neighborhood but bigger neighborhoods than Sims 4 at least 10 lots per neighborhood so your Sim can freely visit neighbors or stores in the neighborhood. Imagine being able to go door to door with your child Sim trick or treating or a neighbor outside washing their car they owe me this after Sims 4 that to me is immersive gameplay.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • OkayLazySimOkayLazySim Posts: 40 Member
    Definitely some form of open environment, whether its contained to a neighborhood or allows for the entire world.

I just don't want that many loading screens, it disturbs immersion and game flow. and while the maps are helpful, I think maps should be integrated differently, more like a pop up in game where sims can pick a location - and also have those maps be a more detailed representation

Generally, I want more immersion for how Sims move within a world and between neighborhoods. Like even if there are loading screens between neighborhoods, you should a least be able to hove over there with your mouse to click on it and also include the transportation into the design. Like Sims will walk, take a bike, ride a car (!!) or take a subway. the option to 'teleport' could still exist, but I like that kind of realness and I also would want my sim to explore more from their surroundings.
    Food Stall Activist Group
    For food stalls in each neighborhood and cool vendors who don't care for explosions
  • duhitscammieduhitscammie Posts: 1 New Member
    I honestly would love open worlds, mainly because it gives more versatility to the game and brings back elements from previous Sims games that most really liked about that specific game.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
    It's almost inconceivable to think that Rene will NOT be open world. But who knows.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    If they add open world, I hope they implement it better than with TS3. I want to be able to travel to other worlds, play several households in the same save without losing progress, have enough sims on community lots that they don't feel like a ghost town, and very few or no rabbitholes, good pathing, and most importantly no visible loading of textures.
    Technology has change I think open world will be possible.They might make smaller worlds for people who have low grade computers.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    I think if they were to do closed lots like how TS4 is then they’d be making a huge business mistake. So many long time Simmers have expressed how open neighborhoods or worlds will be needed for them to show any interest in the next Sims Gen. So, if they were to ignore that to try cater to low end laptops etc. like how they claim they do for The Sims 4, then it will be this franchises downfall. Many people are fed up and want to move on to the new Life Sims releasing in the near future. They seem to offer way more than TS4 has.
    Also I read for The Sims 3 that the team used an EA base game engine which was already outdated to make it. Hopefully with project Rene they learned from all the past mistakes and use an engine similar or exact to Unreal Engine.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2023
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    Also I read for The Sims 3 that the team used an EA base game engine which was already outdated to make it. Hopefully with project Rene they learned from all the past mistakes and use an engine similar or exact to Unreal Engine.

Yes, it was outdated but for me it showed that it was capable, I was happy to be able to create my own world and I knew they were not able to connect them as they did in Sims 4 but for me Sims 3 had more than one leg up in features than Sims 4 has as Sims 4 was and still is a few steps backwards. The thing is EA/Maxis did not know how tweak or maintain what they had so they cut everything from Sims 4. LBYU may overtake Sim's series if they keep on doing what they are doing like Paradox did with City Lines (same company that is making LBYU). The ball is in EA/Maxis hands, and it will be up to them in how they are playing it.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited May 2023
    Yes, the fact that they were able to create what The Sims 3 is on an outdated base just shows what can be possible on an updated game engine such as Unreal Engine. I still play TS3 to this day and I still love it. Once you know what it's like to be able to play life in an open world, it is hard to go back. If the team knows what's good for the franchise, then they will incorporate open worlds or neighborhoods in the next game. (btw I was stating that it was an outdated engine to show how even on an old engine they were able to create something amazing. I meant it in a positive light).
    Yes, the fact that they were able to create what The Sims 3 is on an outdated base just shows what can be possible on an updated game engine such as Unreal Engine. I still play TS3 to this day and I still love it. Once you know what it's like to be able to play life in an open world, it is hard to go back. If the team knows what's good for the franchise, then they will incorporate open worlds or neighborhoods in the next game. (btw I was stating that it was an outdated engine to show how even on an old engine they were able to create something amazing. I meant it in a positive light).

Seriously, open world brought nothing positive to my gameplay. I have no issues with loading screens, they take only a few seconds and are nowhere near as annoying as a car going around a neighbourhood only to reach a rabbithole restaurant.
    crocobaura wrote: »

Seriously, open world brought nothing positive to my gameplay. I have no issues with loading screens, they take only a few seconds and are nowhere near as annoying as a car going around a neighbourhood only to reach a rabbithole restaurant.

okay thats fine, this was my opinion because I love the sims 3. I don't mind rabbit holes, but everyone has their own preferences!
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I hated rabbitholes in Sims 3 as well. But I loved being able to pop back and forth between my sims on various lots and not have them starting over from being run on automatic. Sims 4 tends to have everyone starving or worse when that happens. Plus it was less emersion breaking not having that screen in between. For Sims 5 I wouldn't mind it if they had several experiences as rabbitholes at first, as long as they build it in such a way that those rabbitholes would eventually disappear. Though EA probably knows their newest competitors have advertised "No Rabbitholes!" Depending on what they have so far, it makes sense for EA to try and replicate this.
    Sarah26Cat wrote: »
    I hated rabbitholes in Sims 3 as well. But I loved being able to pop back and forth between my sims on various lots and not have them starting over from being run on automatic. Sims 4 tends to have everyone starving or worse when that happens. Plus it was less emersion breaking not having that screen in between. For Sims 5 I wouldn't mind it if they had several experiences as rabbitholes at first, as long as they build it in such a way that those rabbitholes would eventually disappear. Though EA probably knows their newest competitors have advertised "No Rabbitholes!" Depending on what they have so far, it makes sense for EA to try and replicate this.

You need to enable autonomy. With autonomy on, no one starves, they are very good at taking care of their own needs. As for the rabbitholes, why bother leaving the home lot in the first place? You complain that the loading screen is immersion breaking, but once you load the lot you get a fully playable lot with thigs to do. To me it felt more immersion breaking to go one minute with the car around the neighbourhood only to reach a rabbithole restaurant and then come back. It felt pointless to leave the lot and more like it was a detour from gameplay. The rabbithole theater in TS4 feels the same, you leave the lot only to then wait patiently outside the theater for the movie to finish and get your sim back. The fact is TS3 catered very well to those simmers who don't like leaving their home lot, those simmers that play full house on 64x64 lots and still complain that the lots are too small, but completely ignored simmers that play several households in rotation or those that like and enjoy to use community lots and gameplay.
    I never understand the complaint about habit holes.Most of them were career lots .It's not like at four you could visit going to military baae, restaurant in the base game either
    edited May 2023
    TBH yeah haha. And the bistro in TS3 you had the choice to sit outside and eat your food. There were so many other lots that weren't rabbit holes, so I personally don't mind some only having a pop up screen to shop or waiting till they exit. It is at least better in an open world setting where if you have other sims you can go to them and do other gameplay. In TS4, if you go to the movie theater in San Sequoia, you have to stay at that lot and wait, or are forced to bring your other household members there if you want to play them. I just personally prefer an open neighborhood/world concept as it grants more player freedom.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    I never understand the complaint about habit holes.Most of them were career lots .It's not like at four you could visit going to military baae, restaurant in the base game either

I find that the problem was that half of your "downtown" were these dead buildings where Sims vanish in the ether and interact with nothing else. This was especially notable given that many of these would be customer facing venues IRL (the grocery store, bookstore, spa, theatre, diner, bistro), and some of these were open in TS2 (Grocery stores and restaurants), and never rectified it to any meaningful extent (we got a cash register in WA, and a store content bistro oven).

This also brings the question of do we need these rabbit holes in the world? How much would people's experience change if the carpool just drove Sims to the edge of the world, beyond the view of the camera or into a tunnel and despawned, reappearing at the end of their shift? It would've avoided all the routing issues of many Sims trying to enter the same building at once. It would also avoid the weird immersion breaking issues of having the nation's President operate out of a small town's city hall, or an international spy operating out of a local police department, and the opposite end of the spectrum where a quaint small suburban town suddenly had to accommodate a major sports arena, military airfield and a nine storey corporate headquarters - it seems even the developers got sick of this in later worlds as they started to merge many of them together. And I suspect it is why we got a very limited number of new rabbit hole careers after the base game: only four new rabbit hole workplaces: the film studio, fortune-tellers wagon, the stellar observatory and the plumbot arena - all other new careers were squeezed into existing rabbit holes, even where it doesn't really make sense, such as the art appraiser operating out of the criminal warehouse, even though only one branch of the career is criminal.
    TBH yeah haha. And the bistro in TS3 you had the choice to sit outside and eat your food.

Which had no waiters, Sims just went in, then back out again with a random plate of food, and sit themselves at a random table, not necessarily with whoever they came with. The Bistro was a glorified vending machine.
    There were so many other lots that weren't rabbit holes, so I personally don't mind some only having a pop up screen to shop or waiting till they exit.

Which brings us to the other half of your downtown. These random, generic lots that have no special function aside from encouraging Sims to do certain activities more frequently. There was nothing special or unique about them, nothing that was otherwise unaccessible to Sims on your home lot. Gym equipment and books aren't that expensive in the Sims 3 so rarely would you need to go to the gym or the library, likewise the art gallery or the park offered anything you couldn't do at home. This is a problem that persists in the Sims 4. The main, and arguably only, function of these lots is to meet other Sims.

Way back, in the Sims 1 (and to a lesser extent, the Sims 2), there were specific and exclusive activities that could only be done on community lots. There were carnival games, dining, shops and services, things that you couldn't do at home. If you wanted to progress in game or magic, you HAD to go to their respective subhoods. They had unique NPCs that provided services and just generally added character to the world.

I want open worlds to return in some capacity in the TS5, but I do believe it should not use TS3 as its template.